Charity Match as a result of the Cotton Famine

David Knight

First Sergeant
Whilst browsing for no good reason I was looking at the history of Brammall Lane, a soccer ground in Sheffield, the home of Sheffield United FC, when I found this.

"
Football at the Lane[edit]
220px-Brammall_Lane_-_Sheffield_-_mars_1992.jpg
Expired Image Removed

The ground hosted its first football match on 29 December 1862, between Sheffield F.C. and Hallam F.C. The game was played to raise money for the Lancashire Distress Fund and ended 0–0."

Now that is an unlikely link to the Civil War but was a direct result of the Cotton famine created by the US Naval blockade of the CSA.

Interesting. I know very little about the Cotton Famine in England. So I googled for some out-of-print books in Google Books.

"The History of the Cotton Famine: from the Fall of Sumter to the Passing of the Public Works Act."
by R. Arthur Arnol; Saunders, Otley & Co., London, 1865.
No Table of Contents nor Indes.

Near the very back are Lists of New Books & articles or something. Included is an article about the Cruise of the CSS ALABAMA.

Link: http://books.google.com/books?id=8b...#v=onepage&q=cotton famine in England&f=false

"The Cotton Famine" By John Watts, Ph D.,
Simpkin, Marshall & Co., London, 1866.
Includes Table of Contents nor Index and table of expenditures for each year.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8q...#v=onepage&q=cotton famine in England&f=false

Only a partial copy of this one was found.
"The Lancashire Cotton Famine, 1861-1865" William Otto Henderson - 1934

-----
For a short history, Chapter 8 of "Inside the Confederate Nation" describes how the Battle of Antietam had an effect on the Cotton Famine.
Chapter 8 "The Saratoga That Wasn't" Confederate Recognition and the Effect of Antietam Abroad".

http://books.google.com/books?id=dO...#v=onepage&q=cotton famine in England&f=false

Whilst browsing for no good reason I was looking at the history of Brammall Lane, a soccer ground in Sheffield, the home of Sheffield United FC, when I found this.

There is no sport called "soccer". You are referring to football. :D

Sheffield United is one of the oldest football clubs still in existence. Though I am a diehard Chelsea fan (if you cut me, I bleed blue), I have a soft sport in my heart for Sheffield United. They're a very low-ranking team but are playing extremely well this year; they even have a shot at winning the FA Cup, which would be an amazing achievement for such a low-ranking team.

Thanks for this interesting post. I had no idea about the charity event.

Last edited:
There is no sport called "soccer". You are referring to football. :D

Thanks for this interesting post. I had no idea about the charity event.

Yes I put soccer so as not to be confused will Football as played on the Grid Iron.

The teams who played Sheffield FC and Hallam FC (who still play on there original ground) are the two oldest football teams in the world, they currently still exist and play in local leagues at steps 8 and 10 of the league system in England. The Premier league is step 1 and Sheffield United are in the 3rd level and yes it would be good to see the Blades in the FA Cup Final.

Back