Impressions Chaplain impression.

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Does anyone have any suggestions for portraying a Confederate Chaplain? This is at the top of my list for starting a character. Did any of them actually carry weapons. I know some have been portrayed that way in movies.

Does anyone have any suggestions for portraying a Confederate Chaplain? This is at the top of my list for starting a character. Did any of them actually carry weapons. I know some have been portrayed that way in movies.
I'll be at an event next weekend. We have a couple chaplains that show up and give services Sunday mornings. I know one follows our battalion on the field and does carry a sword and I believe he holds the rank of captain. If you don't get any help before then I'll ask him about the details of his impression and pass it along.

Confederate Chaplains are a misunderstood impression. For example I have a friend h**lbent on having his chaplain rank in the SCV and is adamant he's an officer and wears rank when there's no real evidence of this in the CW. (He's a great guy, great friend, I just have sore eyes from rolling them so much when the subject turns to Confederate Chaplains.)

Confederate Chaplains were usually sent along with a company or regiment by the congregation of his and his unit's hometown and to my knowledge, never had any real military authority. The pay they received from the Confederate government was the same as for a lieutenant, and outside of the faith they really just helped the doctors in field hospitals, or at least that's what I would look for them to be doing most of the time. They were there to serve as a representative of Lord, not fight battles.

While some examples of military uniforms for Chaplains exist, one must remember that like officers they were more likely to have pay for their own uniform to be made by a tailor in some town or city, not issued to them the CS military. This is why with originals there is wide variances in the survivors as from the examples I know, their all different, but they do have one thing in common. They're all in good to very good shape. This to me is an indicator that they were not worn very much in the field, or at the very least just used as a form of dress uniform. So yeah one should bear that in mind when building a CS Chaplain's impression. And no as a man of the cloth I find it highly doubtful they carried weapons, Federal Chaplains weren't known for it, I see no reason why Confederate ones would be either. They're job was to do the Lords work in a situation that was H**l on Earth, joining in on the warfare would go against they're heavenly duties.

So keeping that in mind, I would recommend the impression consist of:
1. Plain civilian trousers, black being the most likely, probably keeping to materials like satinette, or wool broadcloth.
(I'm not sure jeans would have been used by a man of the cloth, that was more of poor man's material, but hey it's possible)

2. A plain frock coat, or at least civilian sack coat, same rules for colors and materials as above.
("Class A" type folks go with matching, and in the 19th Century more often than not preachers were gonna be VERY fastidious about they're clothing wherever possible. They were supposed to representing the Lord.)

3. The religious preacher collar thing commonly worn back then by preachers.
(I have no idea about it, but I'd bet on Sunday at services it'd be worn, everyday probably not.)

4. Plain everyday brogans, most likely black wherever possible.

5. A period correct Bible.

Those are my educated guesses at the minimum for a proper Confederate Chaplain impression, but I would say with no doubt in my mind weapons, and military officers rank were the very rare exception, and highly unlikely, not the rule. Even the most h**lfire and brimstone preacher would be hesitant to walk around armed to the teeth, and IF armed, it would more than likely be a small pocket pistol or revolver, no holstered weapon.

Sorry if I seem hardnosed on the subject, but Confederate Chaplain impressions are HEAVILY abused. Many folks go for that impression to be an officer, and strut around like they're a General. But they weren't, they were men of the Lord serving in the military to be the soldiers rock, or rather man to look up too, or lean on when they were at their worst. Folks like to always point out to me that military has chaplains who are military officers, but that is a modern concept, and one that didn't exist back in the 1860's And a lot of folks flat out refuse to believe that line of thought because they want to be an officer in reenactments without going through the process of earning it.
(On a side note the same thing happens with field surgeon impressions, but that's a whole other subject.)

But hey if your hearts in the right place go for it, good luck and God bless! The hobby needs good chaplain impressions.

I don't really know about Confederate Chaplains. But I do know that the Union Chaplain Lorenzo Barber had officer rank and was arguable the best shot in the army.

I don't really know about Confederate Chaplains. But I do know that the Union Chaplain Lorenzo Barber had officer rank and was arguable the best shot in the army.

Different circumstances.

Union Chaplains were known to hold rank, but they really only had authority over other chaplains. Couldn't order any real soldier, or officer around. Different from today.

Also from what little I know of Lorenzo Barber, he was soldier in the army, (as a skilled marksman), before he became a chaplain. Becoming a chaplain after he witnessed so much suffering, so yeah as a chaplain, while I don't know very much about him, from what I do know, he became a chaplain when he was done with fighting. So what would be governed he would be armed as a chaplain? And if he did fight afterwards, there were plenty of rifle lying around more suited to a marksman than a pistol or revolver.

EDIT: Oh and Confederates weren't known for a Chaplain hierarchy in the military. The Confederacy just more less went with volunteer units bringing their own preachers along.

Confederate Chaplains are a misunderstood impression. For example I have a friend h**lbent on having his chaplain rank in the SCV and is adamant he's an officer and wears rank when there's no real evidence of this in the CW. (He's a great guy, great friend, I just have sore eyes from rolling them so much when the subject turns to Confederate Chaplains.)

Confederate Chaplains were usually sent along with a company or regiment by the congregation of his and his unit's hometown and to my knowledge, never had any real military authority. The pay they received from the Confederate government was the same as for a lieutenant, and outside of the faith they really just helped the doctors in field hospitals, or at least that's what I would look for them to be doing most of the time. They were there to serve as a representative of Lord, not fight battles.

While some examples of military uniforms for Chaplains exist, one must remember that like officers they were more likely to have pay for their own uniform to be made by a tailor in some town or city, not issued to them the CS military. This is why with originals there is wide variances in the survivors as from the examples I know, their all different, but they do have one thing in common. They're all in good to very good shape. This to me is an indicator that they were not worn very much in the field, or at the very least just used as a form of dress uniform. So yeah one should bear that in mind when building a CS Chaplain's impression. And no as a man of the cloth I find it highly doubtful they carried weapons, Federal Chaplains weren't known for it, I see no reason why Confederate ones would be either. They're job was to do the Lords work in a situation that was H**l on Earth, joining in on the warfare would go against they're heavenly duties.

So keeping that in mind, I would recommend the impression consist of:
1. Plain civilian trousers, black being the most likely, probably keeping to materials like satinette, or wool broadcloth.
(I'm not sure jeans would have been used by a man of the cloth, that was more of poor man's material, but hey it's possible)

2. A plain frock coat, or at least civilian sack coat, same rules for colors and materials as above.
("Class A" type folks go with matching, and in the 19th Century more often than not preachers were gonna be VERY fastidious about they're clothing wherever possible. They were supposed to representing the Lord.)

3. The religious preacher collar thing commonly worn back then by preachers.
(I have no idea about it, but I'd bet on Sunday at services it'd be worn, everyday probably not.)

4. Plain everyday brogans, most likely black wherever possible.

5. A period correct Bible.

Those are my educated guesses at the minimum for a proper Confederate Chaplain impression, but I would say with no doubt in my mind weapons, and military officers rank were the very rare exception, and highly unlikely, not the rule. Even the most h**lfire and brimstone preacher would be hesitant to walk around armed to the teeth, and IF armed, it would more than likely be a small pocket pistol or revolver, no holstered weapon.

Sorry if I seem hardnosed on the subject, but Confederate Chaplain impressions are HEAVILY abused. Many folks go for that impression to be an officer, and strut around like they're a General. But they weren't, they were men of the Lord serving in the military to be the soldiers rock, or rather man to look up too, or lean on when they were at their worst. Folks like to always point out to me that military has chaplains who are military officers, but that is a modern concept, and one that didn't exist back in the 1860's And a lot of folks flat out refuse to believe that line of thought because they want to be an officer in reenactments without going through the process of earning it.
(On a side note the same thing happens with field surgeon impressions, but that's a whole other subject.)

But hey if your hearts in the right place go for it, good luck and God bless! The hobby needs good chaplain impressions.
I really appreciate your notes. I want my impression to be as true to form as possible. The reason I ask about a weapon was because I was told some carried pistols just for protection against snakes etc. I am still reading up on the subject to be the best possible. I didn't realize they assisted the doctors in the camp. Again thank you so much for your assistance.

I really appreciate your notes. I want my impression to be as true to form as possible. The reason I ask about a weapon was because I was told some carried pistols just for protection against snakes etc. I am still reading up on the subject to be the best possible. I didn't realize they assisted the doctors in the camp. Again thank you so much for your assistance.

Yeah I've heard the snakes one myself, and in my experience it took me a lot of practice to hit a snake with a pistol, (I used to be able to hit one moving fast lol!), shotguns are more handy for that work, but back then as now most folks just use stuff beside guns to kill snakes, like shovels or even big sticks, (I've seen it done with a stick, and that person was braver than me).

But yeah on Chaplains helping in field hospitals its more of educated guess, after all men of the Lord often seek out the dying to help them or give them comfort as they pass, and I see no reason why that wouldn't hold true in the CW as well.

But hey I'm glad to be of help.

Something to add...

Also during the Civil War, Father Peter Whelan was a Confederate Army Catholic chaplain who ministered to the Union prisoners at the infamous Andersonville Prisoner of War (POW) camp in Georgia. At Andersonville Union prisoners were subject to exposure at all times and seasons. The stream that flowed through the camp was the water source and latrine. Father Whelan administered to the prisoners in the hot, disease ridden, and filthy camp where thousands would die. Prisoners also suffered from gang violence committed by fellow prisoners. From dawn to dusk Father Whelan heard confessions, cared for the sick, and provided comfort including the Last Rites to the numerous dying.

In this camp of horror, Father Whelan saved thousands of lives and souls through his zeal for charity. Father Whelan cared for those seen as the Union “enemy” as he, like his Lord, saw all mankind first: as his brother not an enemy. Father Whelan would contract a lung disease from the disease ridden camp and die in 1871 going to his eternal reward after working in his Master’s vineyard.3 A work titled The Prison Ministry of Father Peter Whelan: Georgia Priest and Confederate Chaplain was written in 1987 by Peter J. Meany, OSB. The small book can sometimes be obtained at old book stores and is quite inspirational and more detailed.

I know more about Federal chaplains, but I'll chime in with what little I know about Confederate chaplains. They were sent and supported by home congregations as missionaries. As mentioned previously, they were paid as Lieutenants, but there was no military hierarchy, nor was there official support for their ministry. Whatever vestments or altarware a chaplain wanted to bring, he brought with him. Likewise, he was on his own to provide reading material such as Bibles, tracts or religious newspapers. Each one ministered firmly in their tradition, which means if you're a Baptist, you bring what you need to be Baptist, Methodist to be Methodist, etc. Denominationalism was in full swing then, so if your denomination wore distinctive clothing, you would, but if it did not, you might be defrocked for doing so. The "free church" traditions looked unfavorably on wearing the clergy collar, but for them, the black frock coat was almost universal clerical garb. I think it's a hard impression to do because of all the misconceptions such as Rusk mentioned above. As a modern ministry, I really think it needs to be pointed at a ministry of presence, more than a public events ministry: think spending time talking with small groups of people rather than conducting worship services. In addition, for reenactors, it bears some similarity to campground or state park ministry. You're there in the name of the Lord to minister with people who are having a good time doing their hobby, not among people who are facing life and death situations, separated from their families.

From "The Story of a Confederate Boy" By David Johnstone, a description of a soldier who picked up the duties of chaplain late in the war. Today we'd call him a "recognized lay leader:"
The chaplaincy of the regiment being vacant, the Young Men’s Christian Association desired the appointment of Mr. Frazier to the vacancy, naming a committee consisting of Thomas S. Taylor (who died in this year, 1914), Edward Hoge (now dead), and David E. Johnston, to take up the matter with the Colonel, but our mission failed because the commander felt that a man could not be spared from the ranks who was so good a soldier as Brother Frazier. We secured, however, the privilege for Mr. Frazier to preach where and when he pleased, having his musket and accouterments transported in headquarters wagon, the only requirement being demanded that he should take his gun and go into battle. Mr. Frazier was as useful as chaplain without a commission as with it, for he still continued to preach, pray, march and fight, to exhort and encourage men to do their duty to God and their country. He was spared and returned home, entered the regular Methodist ministry of the Southern Methodist Church, has been a presiding elder, a successful preacher, and still lives to bless humanity. He now resides on his fine estate near Chilhowie, Virginia, preaching regularly, esteemed and highly respected by his brethren, old comrades, friends and neighbors.

Back