1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Chancellorsville, A Recipe For Disaster For The ANV!

Discussion in 'The Eastern Theater' started by War Horse, Oct 5, 2016.

1. rpkennedy

rpkennedy Major

IIRC, didnt Stuart's report characterize his fight on July 3rd as being defensive? Something along the lines of, we kept the enemy from moving around the flank.

Ryan

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Eric Wittenberg

Eric Wittenberg Sergeant Major Forum Host

Precisely, Ryan.

4. Bee

Bee 2nd Lieutenant

Not until I participated in Eric's lecture about East Cavalry field and the action out there, did I realize how little I knew of what took place, there. So much of what is remembered on the 3 July 1863 "Third Day Gettysburg" revolves around Pickett's Charge, therefore assumed to be related to Pickett's Charge. I recently dug up this map to review what took place, in this engagement.

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/gettysburg/maps/eastcavalryfieldmap.html[​IMG]

War Horse likes this.
  5. Jamieva

Jamieva 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

Also the 2nd wave issue gets looked over but if there was truly a plan to send in more troops to exploit a breakthrough, they would have to start marching before the breakthrough actually takes place due to the distance between the lines. None were ever sent from the confederate side

6. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Longstreet stopped them from moving.

7. Jamieva

Jamieva 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

Which takes us down a whole other path of would Longstreet have ever released them to go forward knowing his opinion of the attack to start with.

8. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Indeed, Stuart's actions make no sense if he was to be part of the attack. Why would he fire a cannon in four directions? On the other hand, if he's there to guard the left flank he wants to know if there are Union units in the vicinity, and wants to see if he can smoke them out. In that case, firing the cannon in four directions makes a great deal of sense.

Also, there's no good route to take from where he was to the Union rear.

Nothing about the whole thing makes any sense if he was part of the attack, but if he's guarding the left flank, everything falls into place.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Bee and War Horse like this.
  9. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Well, we'll never know, but we can assume he would have done so if he had evidence the Union artillery was driven off. Such evidence would be much less long-range fire at the confederate formation than what he was observing.

10. Rebforever

Rebforever Captain

I searched my files and just don't see this right now but in the OR's, General Lee gave a direct order for testing those fuses.
    I believe there was a powder problem causing the cannon over shooting the target, or shooting up hill could also do the same thing. IMO

John Winn likes this.
  11. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

:roflmao:

12. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

A reconaissacne by fire made perfect sense. Not only did it make sense. I worked slendedly.

13. War Horse

I think I remember something about faulty fuses?

14. rpkennedy

rpkennedy Major

The Army of Northern Virginia normally got its fuses from arsenals in Richmond but due to a shortage after Chancellorsville, the army was resupplied with fuses from South Carolina and Alabama. About a week after the battle, these fuses were tested and found that they had a different burn rate than the ones from Richmond (they burned about a second longer for the same length of fuse). Many shells would travel about 200 yards further than expected before exploding.

Ryan

John Winn, Bee and War Horse like this.
  15. thomas aagaard

thomas aagaard Sergeant Major

Some one in the ordnance department failed by not actually doing quality control on the new fuses.
    (When I was in the army and we took out a roll of "fuse" we always cut of the end, then took a piece and lighted it to make sure that it worked as it should)

Had this been done properly the artillery men of the army could have been told and modified their "rule" for fuse lengths.

16. rpkennedy

rpkennedy Major

They did the testing, just not in time for the battle of Gettysburg.

Ryan

17. theoldman

theoldman First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

This has been covered extensively before but as refresher as Hunt pointed out a main issue with the CSA artillery on day 3 at Gettysburg is that they did not concentrate their fire. Add that to the issue with faulty fuzes and smoke that filled sky thus obstructing any observations for adjustment and the result was random hits and misses with very little impact on Union artillery and even less on Union infantry.

18. rpkennedy

rpkennedy Major

I would think that Cushing would argue that they did concentrate their fire and that it was effective. :wink:

Ryan

19. War Horse

I've read Ewell's artillery did the most damage and fired the least number shells due to their inability to see the results of their fire.

20. War Horse

Ask E. Porter Alexander. Alexander states it was a complete engineering failure.

21. War Horse

Stuart was instructed to cause mischief in the enemy rear if the opportunity presented itself. He was there to protect the Ewell's left flank and position himself to cause damage to the retreating enemy upon the breaking of the line by Pickett, Pettigrew-Trimble assault.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)