Champion Hill

njwilliams

Corporal
Has anybody been out and toured Champion Hill at all? I tried to go see the battlefield this past August but all I found was a small plaque with a bunch of no trespassing signs behind it. When I looked at the Civil War Trust's page for it, it seemed like there shouldn't have been any problems visiting and walking around the site.

I saw that the State of Mississippi owned a sizable amount what is left of the battlefield. I didn't know if Mississippi was still smarting of the beating that Grant and the North gave them. Since Champion Hill was a Northern Victory I don't know if they would want to even remember that battle.

Last time I was there, nj, not even the NPS could get us in there. However, there are connections with the family who do gain access.

Apparently, what the family doesn't want is groups of tourists. I'm given to understand that a personal, asked nicely, request is often granted access. Just don't bring a group.

Now, you're going to expect me to direct you to a source. I don't have one. (Surprise!) All I know is what I've been told ... and some have been there. So it isn't impossible; just difficult.

Thank Ole,

I trust you so I'm not going to demand a source, I just wanted to know. I have seen that you can hire a guide to take out out to the battlefield I figure those guys have connections with the people to get onto the land.

You're most welcome, nj. I only know that it can be done; I don't know who or how.

I'll suspect that, if you inquire at the V'burg VC, someone might be able to put you in touch with a who. Other than that, I'd have to go through some remote person who doesn't post anymore at civilwarhome, so it would take weeks.

If you do score and get to see Champion's Hill. It would be most valuable to the board to know who and how.

I was looking a site that seem to deal only with Champion Hill stuff and there was a guy for advertized that he gives tours of Champion Hill. Here's the main website and the site for the guide. The Guide is a g-g-grandson of the Champion's.

Main Site
http://www.battleofchampionhill.org/

Tour Guide's Site
http://www.battleofchampionhill.org/trail/tour.htm

I haven't have a chance to take a tour with the guy, but next time I go to Vicksburg I'm definitely going to try to contact the guy to get a tour. I think touring the Vicksburg Campaign battles the occurred prior to the siege would give much better incite into how things ended up as they did.

You must read Tim Smith's book on the battle.

I was out there a few years ago and there was not much there but the plaque you mentioned barely hanging on to the side of an eroding embankment. The VC at Vicksburg was very helpful with different maps and such to guide me around. As someone has mentioned by driving the roads in that area you can get a good picture of the fight.
I believe some action has been taken out there in the last few years.

You must read Tim Smith's book on the battle.

I was out there a few years ago and there was not much there but the plaque you mentioned barely hanging on to the side of an eroding embankment. The VC at Vicksburg was very helpful with different maps and such to guide me around. As someone has mentioned by driving the roads in that area you can get a good picture of the fight.
I believe some action has been taken out there in the last few years.

I just got my copy in the mail today from amazon.

What is the name of Tim Smith's book? I wouldn't mind checking that out.

It's called "Champion Hill: Decisive Battle for Vicksburg" I don't think it is in print anymore, but amazon has used copies for sale(they don't cost that much either $8-15 for paperback used) and they still sell it at the Vicksburg visitor center if you ever visit. I got luck with mine I started to flip through it yesterday since I just got it and want to give it a look over and I found out the Tim Smith actually signed it, I know people don't put much on that but I still like a book when it has been signed by the author.

I hope to read it soon I'm working on "Confederates in the Attic" right now which I am finding to be quiet interesting. I have been getting more and more books on the Vicksburg Campaign lately, since I visited the park about a month and a half ago, I have been trying to improve my knowledge of the battlefields from that campaign.

It's called "Champion Hill: Decisive Battle for Vicksburg" I don't think it is in print anymore, but amazon has used copies for sale(they don't cost that much either $8-15 for paperback used) and they still sell it at the Vicksburg visitor center if you ever visit. I got luck with mine I started to flip through it yesterday since I just got it and want to give it a look over and I found out the Tim Smith actually signed it, I know people don't put much on that but I still like a book when it has been signed by the author.

I hope to read it soon I'm working on "Confederates in the Attic" right now which I am finding to be quiet interesting. I have been getting more and more books on the Vicksburg Campaign lately, since I visited the park about a month and a half ago, I have been trying to improve my knowledge of the battlefields from that campaign.

I hope to make a trip up to Vicksburg pretty soon one of these days. Probably wait until it gets a little bit cooler but hope to go before the end of the year.

It's called "Champion Hill: Decisive Battle for Vicksburg" I got luck with mine I started to flip through it yesterday since I just got it and want to give it a look over and I found out the Tim Smith actually signed it, I know people don't put much on that but I still like a book when it has been signed by the author.

Excellent book of several great ones on the campaign. Was able to speak to, and have my copy signed by Tim this past June at a symposium put on by the Decator CW RT at Arthur, Ill. Great guy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P9XAXC/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Looks like they have a Kindle version there. I'll have to download it for my Kindle for sure.

Rather than start a new thread,think I will just bump this one. "The Hill Of Death" was 154 years ago today. I read the book sited in this thread early this year and visited Champion Hill in February. I took the tour with Sid Champion that is also cited in this thread. That was a good day. A new marker is being unveiled in a ceremony there this Saturday. Wish I could be there.

http://www.battleofchampionhill.org/2017/diaries.htm

Back