Chamberlain Chamberlain and Little Round Top

etc____etc

Cadet
Hi all,

I have recently become interested in Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain--tho' I am rather new to the study of his influence--and would like some advice in respect to this specific subject. I would like to learn more about his role at Little Round Top; however, I wish it to be with the utmost accuracy, and thus I wonder: What sources would you suggest in order to garner a better understanding of this event? By the bye, I am a new member here at CivilWarTalk, as well as a recent student of the study of the American Civil War.

With thanks,
Joyce

Hi and welcome from Pa also! There's a Chamberlain ' backlash'- managed to be a main topic of that book and movie so an awful lot of folks feel it's too much attention since the whole line was involved that day. He did what he did, is the thing, which really was pretty amazing. They all did that day- his part was crazy. The ' Chamberlain ' forum here does indeed have an awful lot of information and links. Enough threads to keep someone interested busy for awhile, or feel free to start your own discussions!

Thank you all for your warm greetings, etc.! I have been rather busy w/ school work so I was unable to answer earlier (tho' I still am, but less). However, I will peruse this and other forums more thoroughly come the end of finals. I am also intrigued by the William Tecumseh Sherman and Nathan Bedford Forrest forums, so overall I should be rather busy here--tho' silent, as is my proclivity. However, I will try to write when I can. I send you best wishes.

Welcome to CivilWarTalk @etc____etc Happy to have you aboard! :bounce::dance::bounce:

I feel sure you will enjoy your time here and gain knowledge of Chamberlain, Sherman, Forrest....and anyone else you may have an interest in.

To help you along, I am providing links below to the forums specific to your stated interests.

Chamberlain http://civilwartalk.com/forums/joshua-l-chamberlain.171/
Sherman http://civilwartalk.com/forums/william-t-sherman.182/
Forrest http://civilwartalk.com/forums/nathan-b-forrest.176/

Hopefully, the links will make it a bit easier to navigate the boards. Again, welcome to the Forum!

Welcome, Joyce, from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I'm sure you will find your new field of study quite interesting. The Civil War and recent media portrayals transformed Chamberlain's life from that of a professor in a small New England college to a general, war hero and politician to a celebrity. As JPK Huson noted above there has been a backlash of sorts against the portrayal of Chamberlain as the savior of the Union Army at Gettysburg. As you get further into the history of that battle you will find in many respects those critics have valid points. Certain the stand of George Greene's men on Culp's Hill or the actions of the 1st Minnesota, Willard's Brigade and McGilvery's Artillery along Cemetery Ridge could lay claim to the role of savior as well.

You'll also discover that clear back to the War and post-War period other participants objected to acclaim Chamberlain received for Little Round Top. His second-in-command Captain (later Colonel) Ellis Spear would claim the bayonet charge on Little Round Top happened spontaneously as opposed to be planned as portrayed in the movie. Chamberlain's opponent at LRT, Lieutenant Colonel William Oates, would claim that he had ordered his command to withdraw before the charge occurred, contributing to its success.

Lots of things to think about as you go forward.

Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum - whenever you can get that far!

DSC03574crop.jpg

Back