TX Cemetery Saturday, 8/20/2021, Hill County, Texas

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
According to FindAGrave there are 127 burials at Live Oak Cemetery . There are 2 Confederate veterans buried there...one has an upright Confederate gravestone and the other has a civilian gravestone. I figured they would be easy to find and they were. Since I was humping it for a quick visit, I left all the stone cleaning supplies behind. Plenty of room there for future burials and it is well maintained. Obviously, very peaceful too.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/4876/live-oak-cemetery

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Crawling through the gate at Live Oak Cemetery was just as easy as crawling through the gate by the road. Some very nice views to the left once inside the gate.

2021-08-21 08.36.30.jpg

2021-08-21 08.37.13.jpg

2021-08-21 08.38.27.jpg

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Pvt. Joseph G. Barker, Co. D, 9th Battalion Georgia Artillery. 7 fold3 pages. He enlisted in Atlanta on April 23, 1862 for 3 years or the war. Paid a $50 bounty on June 10, 1862. He was "Present" on the Company Muster Rolls from April 23,1862 - November 1, 1863. On a Pay Register for Jan/Feb 1864 for $24. A Receipt Roll for clothing dated 7/25/1864 is in his records. Last record is a Roll Of Prisoners Of War dated 4/10/65 of soldiers surrendered by Gen. Lee at Appomattox Court House on 4/9/65. I am betting he saw some action. From NPS:

"OVERVIEW:9th Artillery Battalion was formed during the summer of 1862 with five companies. Some of the men were from Augusta and Richmond and Gwinnet County. After serving in Georgia the battalion moved to Tennessee and reported to General H. Marshall. It was active in Southwest Virginia and later the Knoxville Campaign. Ordered back to Virginia during the spring of 1864, it was assigned to Department of Richmond and for a time stationed at Chaffin's Bluff. The unit participated in the Petersburg siege north of the James River, then served as infantry under C.A. Evans in the Appomattox Campaign. On April 9, 1865, it surrendered with 1 officer and 19 men. Major A. Leyden was in command."

He filed a Pension Application in 1919 which was rejected for too much property. He refiled on January 10, 1925 and was approved on January 30, 1925. He was living in Johnson County as a farmer in the 1870 Census. He married his wife in 1874. They were living in Hill County in the 1910 Census. He died on March 19, 1932. His wife filed a Widow's Pension Application on March 22,1932, approved same day. His wife, 4 children and several grandchildren are also buried. Some day, I am going back there to clean that gravestone.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8237378/joseph-gilliam-barker

2021-08-21 08.40.38-1.jpg

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Corp. Robert B. Willingham, Co. A, 20th Texas Cavalry. 6 fold3 pages. He Mustered-in at age 29 in Anderson County on March 15, 1862 for 12 months. The March/April 1862 Company Muster Roll is in his records but doesn't say whether he was "Present" or "Absent". I assume he was Present because that is when he mustered-in. $50 bounty was paid on 7/11/62. Handwritten receipt is in his records and that's it for records. He,wife and 7 children were living in Anderson County in the 1870 Census. He died in 1878. No record of his wife or 5 of his children in FindAGrave. 2 of his children are buried elsewhere. Some evidence that 2 infant grandchildren are buried in unmarked graves at Live Oak Cemetery. No evidence that any other descendants are buried there with him. I want to clean his gravestone on a future visit too.

The back of a really nice farm is in the background. Drove by the front of it on the way there. I didn't see or hear anyone there during my visit.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8237876/robert-beverly-willingham

2021-08-21 08.47.45.jpg

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
2021-08-21 08.44.14.jpg

In the back left corner of the cemetery is one of those above ground tombs or rock wall gravesites that has caved in.

After I got home, I sent a FindAGrave message to the lady who posted pictures of the cemetery gate on the cemetery's FindAGrave page. I sent this:

"Did you have to get permission from the landowner to take those? It appears that cemetery is surrounded by private property and has no public access."

She replied:

"My grandfather is the landowner. I believe you just call for permission."

I am trying to find out if he is the owner of that farm in the background of the picture of Corp. Willingham's gravesite.

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
On the way to Blanton Cemetery I passed the highway sign of a cemetery that was on the list of possibilities that weekend that will surely be a visit destination on future trips to Lake Whitney. On the way to Live Oak Cemetery I passed the street sign of another Cemetery that got added this past Saturday to the list of planned future visits.

STexRoots

Cadet
Thank you for your informative coverage of these cemeteries.

Another cemetery in Hill County, not far from Whitney, is Peoria Cemetery. The book "Peoria Cemetery, 1826-1978" by Mrs. Joe Atchison, states that the Veterans Program for May 30, 1963, listed 75 Civil War Veterans as being interred at Peoria Cemetery.

I don't have any photos of CW Veterans graves in Peoria and none of my kin buried there served in the Civil War.

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Thank you for your informative coverage of these cemeteries.

Another cemetery in Hill County, not far from Whitney, is Peoria Cemetery. The book "Peoria Cemetery, 1826-1978" by Mrs. Joe Atchison, states that the Veterans Program for May 30, 1963, listed 75 Civil War Veterans as being interred at Peoria Cemetery.

I don't have any photos of CW Veterans graves in Peoria and none of my kin buried there served in the Civil War.
Peoria Cemetery has been on my list for awhile but a good opportunity hasn't arisen yet. It's a fairly big cemetery and half or more of the Civil War veterans have civilian gravestones, some in very bad shape, or are buried in unmarked graves apparently. A visit there is gonna take awhile to do it right.