TX Cooke Memorial Cemetery and Liberty City Cemetery, Liberty, and Linney Cemetery, Dayton, Liberty County, 1/30/2021

Pvt. James Robert Ashley, Co. E, 51st North Carolina Infantry. 30 pages of fold3 records. Enlisted on February 28,1862 for the war. Present on all Company Muster Rolls until December 28,1864 when he was "Absent without leave." Hospitalized from February 22 - March 3,1864 for "fistula in anus" and from July 11 - August 6,1864 for "vulnus sclopetarium". One of his sons is buried next to him.

2021-01-30 12.21.36.jpg

Pvt. James Robert Ashley, Co. E, 51st North Carolina Infantry. 30 pages of fold3 records. Enlisted on February 28,1862 for the war. Present on all Company Muster Rolls until December 28,1864 when he was "Absent without leave." Hospitalized from February 22 - March 3,1864 for "fistula in anus" and from July 11 - August 6,1864 for "vulnus sclopetarium". One of his sons is buried next to him.

View attachment 390727
It looks like longevity is given to his family tree.
Lubliner.

William J. Holstien. That's his name on the gravestone. I've searched Holstien, Holstein, Holstine and Holston in fold3, Ancestry and the NPS database. Other than 2 pages in fold3 of a "J.H. Holston" in Co. I, 1st TX Heavy Artillery, there's nothing. I think his last name is spelled wrong on the gravestone. 36 days after he died, his widow,"Mrs. W.J. Holstein" filed a widow's pension application. She didn't know when he enlisted, how long served or what unit he was in. She had no documents or witnesses about his service. She did have 2 witnesses that she hadn't remarried. They were from the Pickett and Perryman families in Liberty. She died in January 1919 and apparently still owed about $70 for W.J.'s burial expenses. Her son-in-law, as Administrator of her estate, pursued that widow's pension application and got $30 approved for W.J.'s burial expenses. I suspect a Pickett or Perryman pulled some political strings to get even that much approved. There's no record of his service. I sure was hoping to find a Headstone Application in Ancestry. That gravestone is a mystery. It already had a grave marker flag when I got there.

2021-01-30 12.23.04-1.jpg

Pvt. Drury W. Jackson, Co. F, 1st Texas Heavy Artillery. Only 2 pages in fold3, an Index Card and one CMR. He enlisted on June 2,1862 for the war. The July-August 1862 Company Muster Roll has him "Absent. Sick on furlough in Liberty from Aug. 30 to Sept. 27." He filed a Pension Application in November 1909 which was approved in February 1910. In it he said "Enlisted June 2, 1862. Discharged Oct. 13, 1862." It says a copy of the Discharge Order is attached to the Application but it's not in the Ancestry documents. He died in October 1933 and his youngest son submitted the Headstone Application. His oldest son died in 1932.

2021-01-30 12.24.26.jpg

Pvt. Joseph C. White, Co. I, 1st Texas Heavy Artillery. 4 pages of fold3 records...an Index Card and 3 Regimental Returns. He "Enlisted in Camp" at Ft. Sulakowski in Galveston on January 1,1865. He was listed as present on the 3 RRs in his records. The March 1865 Regimental Return states that he was on Extra or Daily Duty "To procure oysters for Batty". The April 1865 Regimental Return states that he was on Extra or Daily Duty "Det. to catch oysters for Camp". The things you read in some of these records. :D He filed a Pension Application in November 1914 which was approved in December 1914. I found him in the NPS database too. His civilian gravestone was easy to find. I knew what it looked like and it was distinctive in that cemetery.

2021-01-30 12.47.43-1.jpg

Corp. John C. Reed, Co. C, 2nd East Tennessee Cavalry(USA). One Union soldier that I know of in Linney Cemetery. 19 pages in fold3 which is unusual in my experience for a Union soldier. He enlisted as a Musician on July 7,1862 for 3 years. Present on all CMRs, except one on furlough, through July 1865. He mustered out on July 6,1865. He filed for a pension in September 1890. His widow filed for a pension in 1905.

2021-01-30 13.03.12.jpg

Pvt. T. B. White, Co. G, 31st Texas Cavalry. In his FindAGrave memorial it says this:

"Tilman and 3 of his brothers served in the Civil War; William, Calvin, Stephen. He served as a Pvt in Co G, Pete Hardemans's Texas Cavalry, he also served in the 1st Regt Arizona Brigade - and 31st Texas Cavalry Hawpe's - Ganos Brigade."

The records I found are sparse. 3 pages in fold3 about Co. G, 31st TX CaV and none say when he enlisted. The 2nd and 3rd pares are a Regimental Return for March 1865 which says he was "Sick in Trinity County". He filed a Pension Application in 1909 and said he enlisted in June 1863 in Co. G, 31st TX CAV and served until the close of the war. It doesn't say whether it was approved or disapproved. There is a handwritten note on the cover that says "Testimony not very good". It looked good to me. :D

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/25300538/tilman-bailey-white

2021-01-30 13.10.34.jpg

Linney Cemetery has a memorial to those buried in unmarked graves which is kinda nice. Thanks for following along to those that did. That Cemetery Saturday was a fun day for me.

2021-01-30 13.20.10.jpg

I enjoyed the trip. I was wondering since Holstien claims the 1st Heavy Artillery as his unit, and two others also have that same unit, possibly his name would show up in county records for land deeds. I would figure they all came from the same locale.
Lubliner.

I enjoyed the trip. I was wondering since Holstien claims the 1st Heavy Artillery as his unit, and two others also have that same unit, possibly his name would show up in county records for land deeds. I would figure they all came from the same locale.
Lubliner.
I assume one of his descendants acquired the headstone and I don't question that he lived there or owned land there. I searched the variations of his name in fold3, Ancestry and NPS and posted all that I found.

Pvt. Granville Morris, Jr., Co. E, 29th Mississippi Infantry. 19 pages of fold3 records. Enlisted on April 24,1862 for 3 years or the war. On a casualty report that says he was wounded slightly in the hip at Murfreesboro on 12/31/1862. Listed as present on all CMRs except the Jan.-Feb. 1864 . . . . Prisoner of war taken in battle of Lookout Mountain Nov. 24 1863." Ended up at Rock Island Barracks on 12/3/1863.
He was in Walthall’s Mississippi Brigade and captured with 2 of my ancestors.
Company “E” was known as “Oakland Raiders” of Yalobusha County. I drove thru Oaklabd last weekend— the hometown of Mississippi historian Dunbar Rowland.

So many names that sound familiar. HARDIN must be a common in Texas. That name “James Minter” also sounds familiar to me. Of course it could be because I grew up in Minter City.

Great job, Bobby.
Our local museum is looking into organizing volunteers to clean cemeteries and headstones. I need to order a starter kit of D-2 product.

Great job, Bobby.
Thank you sir. Got a lotta time on my hands for this stuff now and the interest was already there so it's a win-win for me. Weather permitting, the next episode of Cemetery Saturday will be filmed next weekend, this time coming to you from Freestone and Limestone Counties. Got 2 cemeteries in the lineup for sure and a couple of smaller ones on standby, time permitting. My supply of grave marker flags is restocked too.

Thank you sir. Got a lotta time on my hands for this stuff now and the interest was already there so it's a win-win for me. Weather permitting, the next episode of Cemetery Saturday will be filmed next weekend, this time coming to you from Freestone and Limestone Counties. Got 2 cemeteries in the lineup for sure and a couple of smaller ones on standby, time permitting. My supply of grave marker flags is restocked too.
I can only guess the next episode may be delayed due to inclement weather. I don't mean to make that sound like an understatement, and I hope you are safe.
Lubliner.

I can only guess the next episode may be delayed due to inclement weather. I don't mean to make that sound like an understatement, and I hope you are safe.
Lubliner.
Good guess. :biggrin: Not a good time for a road trip. All things considered we are good. Maybe next weekend I can do a day trip somewhere. I have the itch pretty bad.

Sorry about bumping an old thread but I have some new material. Made a followup visit to Cooke Memorial Cemetery in Liberty, Texas on cold and windy Sunday, January 2, 2022. First visit was January 30, 2021. Weather was much nicer this time. Been wanting to get back there for some time but that day was the first best opportunity.

2022-01-02 15.27.27.jpg

2022-01-02 15.25.14.jpg

Liberty, Texas is a little over 40 minutes from my house. The first time I visited Cooke Memorial Cemetery was on a Saturday and I actually visited 3 cemeteries on that trip. I had dropped my wife off at church for a day conference and I had a few hours before I had to pick her up so I made a run to Liberty. I didn't have any gravestone cleaning stuff with me. Didn't really have time for it and anticipated being able to make a return visit if need be. I didn't think it would be almost a year before I went back. The gravestones at the other 2 cemeteries were in pretty good shape. Cooke Memorial Cemetery needed a followup visit.

One for the medical folks. Asst. Surgeon James P. Cooke, Co. F&S, 47th Alabama Infantry.

View attachment 389873
Assistant Surgeon Cooke's gravestone was a mess the first time I visited. The flag was still there on my revisit. I scrubbed his gravestone with a brush and water and rinsed it. Replaced the flag with an Alabama state flag. I let his gravestone dry before I took the picture below. After the picture, I sprayed it real good.

2022-01-02 14.45.39.jpg

Back