Celebrities With Civil War Ancestors

Glenn, just by way of asking...
I know there were a lot of unionist from East TN in the Cavalry, Mounted Infantry and Infantry, but I can't think of any white artillery units offhand. Know there were probably some at the sige of Knoxville.

Dennis Rodman, USCT ancestor.
Vanessa Williams, USCT ancestor.
Ashley Judd, ancestor was a Union soldier who lost a leg at Saltville.
Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Jr., Confederate from North Carolina. (Peter Earnhardt)
Elvis Presley-ancestor Duane Presley enlisted in three Confederate regiments.
Robin Williams-Anselm McLaurin, Confederate veteran and postwar governor of Mississippi.
Pat Robertson (televangelist)-listed in SCV directory. However, I can't find any info beyond the fact that he is a member of the SCV. (I'm hoping one of the research oriented people here could help me find his Confederate ancestor.)
Jimmy Carter-Confederate soldier Littleberry Walker Carter.
Harry S. Truman-Quantrill's Raiders Missouri. Was member of Sons of Confederate Veterans.
LBJ-grandfather Sam Ealy Johnson, Sr. fought in the Confederacy from a Texas regiment.

I know there were a lot of unionist from East TN in the Cavalry, Mounted Infantry and Infantry, but I can't think of any white artillery units offhand. Know there were probably some at the sige of Knoxville.
Just today saw your post. I believe there were East Tennesseans in the 1st Ky Light Artillery

https://tngenweb.org/civilwar/1st-tennessee-light-artillery-battalion/ I believe this would be the only East Tennessee Artillery unit manned by white Tennesseans. The others were USCT.

There are other threads on this, but it's fun.

One of my favorites is Mary Tyler Moore. Her great grandfather was a staff officer in Stonewall Jackson's Confederate Army Corps. Her father was a Civil War buff and she donated a lot of money to establish the George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War at Shepherdstown, WV, in her father's memory.

She also bought and refurbished a family property her great grandfather turned over to General Jackson to use as winter quarters in 1862, I think. It's a museum now.

Pretty cool.

If I'm not mistaken Pam Shriver, the tennis pro, had an ancestor that guided Stuart for a while during the Gettysburg campaign. I believe the family, who lived at Union Mills, Md., had members who were on opposite sides during the war.

John

Robert Depew was one of only 120 or so Tennessee Union Veterans to respond to the Tennessee Civil War Veteran Questionnaire. He was the son of Isaac Depew Jr and Sarah Thompson. His brothers, Cyrus, James, Samuel, and Lilburn all fought in the Civil War. Robert dated his answers to the questionnaire, May 8, 1922, from Fordtown, Tennessee. He states he was born in Sullivan County. He gives his parents names and that he is a brick mason as was his father. "I enlisted in the Federal Army at Camp Nelson, Ky as a Private.
On 10/6/1863 I mustered into "Battery E" KY 1st Light Artillery. I fought against Morgan at Lexington, Ky. I was discharged on 10/5/1864 at Louisville, KY. I came back to Knoxville and then back home. I've always made a living at farming and laying bricks. I belong to The Church of The Brethren. I haven't anything of interest for you, as I have nothing historical".

It's a little light on the newer generation of celebrities, though....
I'm sure that's because the new generation of "celebrities" would probably deny any family connection to the Civil War, no matter which "side" their ancestors served.

Apparently it's now looked down upon if a "celebrity" is even interested in United States history.

But the old folks like Clint Eastwood are still proud of their ancestors.

Dennis Rodman, USCT ancestor.
Vanessa Williams, USCT ancestor.
Ashley Judd, ancestor was a Union soldier who lost a leg at Saltville.
Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Jr., Confederate from North Carolina. (Peter Earnhardt)
Elvis Presley-ancestor Duane Presley enlisted in three Confederate regiments.
Robin Williams-Anselm McLaurin, Confederate veteran and postwar governor of Mississippi.
Pat Robertson (televangelist)-listed in SCV directory. However, I can't find any info beyond the fact that he is a member of the SCV. (I'm hoping one of the research oriented people here could help me find his Confederate ancestor.)
Jimmy Carter-Confederate soldier Littleberry Walker Carter.
Harry S. Truman-Quantrill's Raiders Missouri. Was member of Sons of Confederate Veterans.
LBJ-grandfather Sam Ealy Johnson, Sr. fought in the Confederacy from a Texas regiment.

That's an impressive list !

I had no idea President Harry S. Truman had relatives in Quantrill's Raiders.

But he was from Missouri.

Back