"Celebrated Songs of the Confederate States of America"

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
celeb.jpg
A pdf can be downloaded from Johns Hopkins University.

We always want to avoid incorporating YouTube and other videos into CWT posts. Instead, just delete the "https.//" from the front of the URL, so it just starts with "www." That way you get a clickable link to the YouTube site, that will open in a new window without overburdening the CWT computers.

In other words, instead of the last post, you would see:
Or, simply:
"I'm mesmerized by this young lady's voice:
Southern Version of The Battle Cry of Freedom "

[PS: The same URL editing can be done with Wikipedia links, so the entire entry doesn't appear in your post.]

Last edited:
I want all to know that John Hartwell’s cousin (I think that’s correct) William Hartwell was the foremost musician and songwriter in the Confederate army. IIRC he was one the Hartwell brothers who emigrated to Mississippi from Maine before the war, taught music and joined the 16th Miss. as bandmaster. It just so happened that I found in a trunk full of my g- grandmother’s things this piece of sheet music written by Wm H. Hartwell which according to the notation in pencil at top was bought by her father in Vicksburg in May 1862.
3E5063D5-E21E-4DA5-A429-B42D38818730.jpeg

E908B19B-62B3-4452-9985-4AC6AD8A5C94.jpeg

There was a thread discussing it all several years ago.

Last edited:
Along with the “Confederates Grand March” above this sheet music, “Gen’l Beauregard’s Grand March” was also found. Both were published in Nee Orleans in 1861, and the copyrights say “Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1861 by P.P. Werlein/A.E. Blackman in the Clerk’s Office of the District Court of the East District of La.”. Don’t know if that was U.S. or C.S.

29391715-1AB9-4EE9-9ED7-84D3699A375B.jpeg

26D13D45-1972-44B5-BD17-41303DA3D4B8.jpeg

I play piano and love these old pieces. However they loved to have lots of twiddly notes, flats, sharps, and you needed a longer finger/hand span than I've got!

Back