Celebrate Confederates: Who Are Your Favorites?

ForeverFree

Major

This May we are celebrating Southern Unionist History Month. May 1865 signaled the triumph of millions of Southerners who were liberated from slavery. It is time to recognize the many people from the Slave States who helped to end slavery in the United States. Who are your favorite Southern Unionists?

I suspect I have a decidedly different definition of Southern Unionists than what the OP has in mind, but my favorite Southern Unionists are those who fought for the union of states established by the CSA. Davis, Stephens, Toombs, Benjamin, Lee, Jackson, and Johnston, to name just a few.

OK, so: Who are you favorite Confederates? IE, "those who fought for the union of states established by the CSA."

- Alan

Stonewall Jackson,

especially all his quirks (I may try to buy Mighty Stonewall from America)

Peter Wellington Alexander,

becouse he was a reporter that described with sincerity the common soldier's life. He was present at many battelfields and many marches, even if he created some controversies writing about some generals (like Maj. Gen. Jeb Stuart)

Vote Here:
#1 R.E. Lee: Pres. Eisenhower in 1960 said this about Lee in a letter to some clown questioning his personal admiration of the General:

General Robert E. Lee was, in my estimation, one of the supremely gifted men produced by our Nation. He believed unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause which until 1865 was still an arguable question in America; he was a poised and inspiring leader, true to the high trust reposed in him by millions of his fellow citizens; he was thoughtful yet demanding of his officers and men, forbearing with captured enemies but ingenious, unrelenting and personally courageous in battle, and never disheartened by a reverse or obstacle. Through all his many trials, he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his faith in God. Taken altogether, he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history.

#2 Stonewall Jackson: In a short time Stonewall became a household name not only in this country but also abroad for his military success. He was feared by the his opponents like no other leader in the war and I have no doubt that had he lived he would have found a way to rout the AoP on day 1 of the Gettysburg battle.

#3 Jedidiah Hotchkiss: Originally Stonewall’s mapmaker, he became the premier cartologist of the ANV. Just a fascinating man who drew absolutely beautiful maps. As a guy who spent his adult life making maps I am awed by his ability under the most adverse conditions to create that kind of work.

Vote Here:
My own ancestor who served as a Surgeon throughout the war.
As far as officers, I'm kind of partial to those connected to the 1st corps ANV - Longstreet, Wofford, McLaws, Kershaw, Bryan, Semmes, Barksdale, Humphreys, et al.
Additionally, I tend to enjoy Daniel Harvey (D H) Hill - love his dry sarcastic wit - and BG John Simpson Bratton aka "Old Reliable" for the same reason.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Surprise! :D I find That Guy intriguing, gigantic flaws and all. He was just about the only one who said plainly what he was fighting for - "If this dam war ain't about slavery then I'd sure as hell like to know what it is about!"

Got a soft spot for A P Hill, too. He wasn't particularly about the Confederacy or in the least interested in slavery, but he was a soldier with a job to do. "The politicians have gotten us into a dam-ed scrape and it is now up to the generals to get us out!"

Vote Here:
Back