Celebrate Columbus Day with foods his sailors ate

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today Oct 9th is National Observance of Columbus Day. Many government facilities, post offices and banks are closed. When I was young we got this day off from school.

If you want to observe this day, try to have foods that were eaten by Columbus's crew. When Columbus first sailed, he stopped in the Canary Islands and got chesses for the trip. Typical meals for the crew would have included salted fish, beef and pork in olive oil, garlic, salt, olives, vinegar and molasses for flavor.

They also had sea biscuits which are like hardtack. They were made of wheat flour and water.

Once they arrived in the New World, they would experience many foods which were taken back with them to Spain.

From: https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat-sailor-celebrate-columbus-day

Yes here is the hardtack and pickled pork, or whatever else they could put into a cask or barrel. No to salt pork, the beef or pickled fish. The hardtack I know all too well. The food is pretty much what I thought it would be. Some of the articles substitutes didn't sound a lot better either. Thank you for posting.

Greetings on Columbus Day., October 12th. If you still recognize day, some don't, have some foods he and his sailors would have had, liked such as Hardtack also know as sea biscuits, dried meat and dried fruits. After they reached the new world they would have many enjoyable foods like tomatoes, and potatoes. They learned many foods from the native peoples. One of the best they would discover would be cocoa (chocolate).

Greetings on Columbus Day., October 12th. If you still recognize day, some don't, have some foods he and his sailors would have had, liked such as Hardtack also know as sea biscuits, dried meat and dried fruits. After they reached the new world they would have many enjoyable foods like tomatoes, and potatoes. They learned many foods from the native peoples. One of the best they would discover would be cocoa (chocolate).
Fascinating! Thank you.

Back