TX Cedron Cemetery, Bosque County, Texas, 5/21/2021

Pvt. J.B. Arnold, Co. D, Baylor's Regiment Texas Cavalry ( 2nd Regiment, Arizona Brigade). His full name is James Buchanan Arnold. I researched him before my visit. He has a common name and I knew he was a Confederate veteran but I couldn't pin down what regiment he was in. In my pre-visit notes I had either Co. G, 14th Texas Cavalry or Co. F, 3rd Missouri Cavalry. He was born in Arkansas and a lot of those guys ended up in Missouri. I forgot to check Pension Records before I visited. Thought about that when I got home and that was the key. 2 pages in fold3...an Index Card and a "Return Of Prisoners Of War captured in New Mexico during the Campaign of 1862. Return dated Headquarters Department, New Mexico, Santa Fe Sept. 18, 1862." It says he was paroled at Ft. Craig on April 23, 1862 and sent to Mesilla, NM. His widow filed a Pension Application on 6/8/1918, approved 6/23/1918. Some newspaper reprints on his FindAGrave memorial contain information about his war service and UCV/SCV membership.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/29801405/james-buchanan-arnold

2021-05-21 17.11.21.jpg

Pvt. J.C. Thomas, Co. B, 14th Tennessee Cavalry. 3 pages in fold3...an Index Card, July 10th - August 31, 1863 Company Muster Roll and a Report of Prisoners paroled at Jackson, TN in May 1865. He enlisted on July 10, 1863 but it doesn't say for how long. He filed a Pension Application in October 1928, approved November 1928. His Widow filed a Pension Application on March 15, 1934, rejected same day. The reason given was she was ineligible because she was born after January 1, 1873. I gave his flatstone a good scrubbing but it didn't get much off so I sprayed it real good. I knew it was gonna need cleaning. It was real dirty in the picture on his FindAGrave memorial.

Check out the NPS description of the Regiment. He might've rode with Forrest.

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-battle-units-detail.htm?battleUnitCode=CTN0014RC01

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/16248512/j-c-thomas

2021-05-21 17.20.39.jpg

A couple more pictures I took before I departed. Corp. Ogden and Pvt. Hunter are in the center of the first picture. Pvt. Thomas and my Wet & Forget spray bottle are in the center left of the second picture. The times on the digital photos show that I was at Cedron Cemetery for a thoroughly enjoyable hour and 45 minutes. I'm going back to Lake Whitney this Memorial Day weekend and I was hoping to slip over to Cedron Cemetery again and give the military stones a quick spray with D/2 but the weather forecast has changed. Looks like we'll be dodging showers again and I may have to go to Plan B.

2021-05-21 17.18.10-2.jpg

2021-05-21 17.23.25.jpg

This is a great thread. Love all the photos and research notes you give. Something very peaceful about this.
Yeah. The hustle and bustle of every day life disappears when I'm out there. Nobody else in my family is interested in that. It's mostly a solitary pursuit for me and I kinda like it that way. About the only sounds I heard out there that day were cows mooing around the stock tank on the other side of the back fence.

Yeah. The hustle and bustle of every day life disappears when I'm out there. Nobody else in my family is interested in that. It's mostly a solitary pursuit for me and I kinda like it that way. About the only sounds I heard out there that day were cows mooing around the stock tank on the other side of the back fence.
I find myself wanting to be alone more as I get older. Not that I'm becoming a home body and don't enjoy people, but there's something about doing things you enjoy, and doing them alone. There's nights where I will decline an invitation to go out with some friends, just so I can sit in my library and read Civil War books. They think I'm crazy... I call it a good night.

I find myself wanting to be alone more as I get older. Not that I'm becoming a home body and don't enjoy people, but there's something about doing things you enjoy, and doing them alone. There's nights where I will decline an invitation to go out with some friends, just so I can sit in my library and read Civil War books. They think I'm crazy... I call it a good night.
Yep. I can set my own pace and change the itinerary in-progress if the spirit moves me.

I sit in my recliner, pour/scroll through cemetery records and take notes. That's a good night for me too.

Echo....echo.....echo.....echo....echo.....echo........

Went back to Cedron Cemetery yesterday to spray D/2 on the 3 military stones from last weekend. It had been freshly mowed and flagged for Memorial Day. I got there first with flags last weekend. The flaggers left the ones I planted.

IMG_20210530_104948657~3.jpg

IMG_20210530_105420226~2.jpg

I look forward to reading about your travels and posts. Appreciate the info you include about the local towns, farms, etc.
Noted that Pvt Wm Ansley served in both the Confederacy and Union Armies. Here is a link to a program on the Quad
Cities NPR affiliate a few weeks ago, concerning the prisoners at Rock Island enlisting in Union regiments.

https://www.wvik.org/community/2021-04-06/galvanized-yankees

Pvt. J.W. Boswell, Co. L, 15th Alabama Infantry. Last week I posted about my Cedron Cemetery visit in a Facebook group about Texas Historical Cemeteries. A descendant of this soldier replied to my post. Missed one last weekend. I looked him up. 9 fold3 pages. He enlisted on March 11, 1862 for the war. On the May/June 1862 Company Muster Roll he is "Absent without leave". Then there's a gap in his muster records. The next CMR is for May/June 1863 and he is "Absent. Furlough". Listed as "Absent without leave" on the July 1863-October 1864 CMRs but there's a 2 month gap in there too. That's about all I could find. I scraped,rinsed, sprayed and flagged his gravestone.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8547179/james-william-boswell

2021-05-30 11.10.11.jpg

Made a quick run to Cedron Cemetery today to check some stones. It looked freshly mowed. This is what the Confederate gravestone in post #6 looks like now. Gave it another light spray before I left.

IMG_20211120_120607698_HDR.jpg

Back