TX Cedarhurst Cemetery, La Porte,TX

I've been to this old cemetery a couple of times since that 2015 visit. I went over there again before going to work on this Veterans Day to make sure there are/were flags on their graves. The weather is supposed to turn bad later today and I wanted to beat it.
Sure enough...both gravesites needed new flags. Good thing I took an old pair of shoes too. Not likely that anyone else will be going out there today. After the weather moves in tonight,it might be a few days before anyone else can get out/in there.

2019-11-11 08.43.17-1.jpg

2019-11-11 08.46.51-1.jpg

2019-11-11 08.44.56-1.jpg

I recently happened to read a bit into the 76th Illinois (mostly online) because they played a large part in the final attack on Fort Blakely, AL on April 9, 1865. They attacked Redoubt No. 3 - defended by the remnants of the CS 1st Missouri Brigade - and had a hard fight there, losing heavily, but they claimed to be the first regiment to plant their colors on the parapet.

Here's the link to a good rundown of their history: http://www.illinoiscivilwar.org/cw76-hist.html
I'm glad I came back to this old thread today and saw that post again. I knew very little about Fort Blakely back in 2015. It's now on my to-do list and I hope to get a chance to go there in the next coupla years. Got a little more reading to do before I am ready for that.

Back