Cedar Creek Today 10-17-21

Viper21

Brigadier General
Official Vendor
Rode up to Cedar Creek today to catch the battle. Ran in to @Stone in the wall & @PBRegiment while there. Was a pretty cool day. In more ways than one...lol. Was the first real day of fall temps. I ran in to a lot of people I knew today. Besides a few spectators, I did have a couple friends on the field, in the battle too. A couple Infantry, a couple fellas in cannon crews, & one cavalry member.

Here's some pics of the show:

wWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1634512657.jpg

pwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1634512658.jpg

ipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1634512662.jpg

u59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1634512664.jpg

J__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1634512670.jpg

5QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1634512683.jpg

My buddy's cannon was aimed at the Union encampment. They wanted to blast em before they got outta bed...! :cool:

ipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1634512668.jpg

RoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1634512677.jpg

Was an awesome day, with some super cool people. A little chilly but, was definitely worth the ride.

My buddy's cannon was aimed at the Union encampment. They wanted to blast em before they got outta bed...! :cool:
You know that really happened in the actual battle of Cedar Creek? Just before the pre-dawn attack, Kershaw's division (4 brigades: Kershaws old SC then commanded by Goggin; Semmes old GA then commanded by Simms; Barksdale's old MS then commanded by Humphries; and Wofford's GA) crossed Cedar Creek at Bowman's Mill Ford (not to be confused with Bowman's Ford which is the ford used by part of Gordon's division) and snuck up on Thoburn's Division of the 9th Corps when they were still in tents sleeping. Kershaw's division made their attack uphill, in pre-dawn darkness; captured a battery (or section) of cannon; turned them and used them against the Federals further up. Joseph Thoburn was a West VA physician before the war; he was unfortunately killed in the melee.

Last edited:
My only question is, how could J. Thoburn have been a W. Virginia physician before the Civil War, when W. Virginia didn't become a state until 1863? Present day W. Virginia was still part of Virginia when the War of Northern Aggression broke out. Pesky 'lil details....lol!
Ok Mr Smarty pants :wink:. Thoburn was an Irish immigrant. He was a resident of Wheeling and had a successful medical practice there before the war. The formation of West Virginia occurred and Wheeling was in it so.... historically, WV claims him and he was a successful physician. So there ya go..... :biggrin:

Last edited:
You know that really happened in the actual battle of Cedar Creek? Just before the pre-dawn attack, Kershaw's division (4 brigades: Kershaws old SC then commanded by Goggin; Semmes old GA then commanded by Simms; Barksdale's old MS then commanded by Humphries; and Wofford's GA) crossed Cedar Creek at Bowman's Mill Ford (not to be confused with Bowman's Ford which is the ford used by part of Gordon's division) and snuck up on Thoburn's brigade when they were still in tents sleeping. Kershaw's division made their attack uphill, in pre-dawn darkness; captured a battery (or section) of cannon; turned them and used them against the Federals further up. Joseph Thoburn was a West VA physician before the war; he was unfortunately killed in the melee.
Here's a picture of Bowman's Mill Ford. Kershaw's division marched through Strasburg, in the dark of night, to get to the ford. No talking, not even whispering, was allowed. Canteens, cups, and bayonets were carefully secured so they didn't rattle and make noise. It was a very "Early" attack -- [Jubal Early that is. Ill show myself out. :D ] made in the pre-dawn hours with cover provided by darkness and a thick fog.

Across Cedar Creek, you can see the flat where Kershaw's four brigades arrayed in line of battle - Goggin and Bryan to the left; Barksdale and Wofford to the right. [The Pike is to the left and the unfinished breastworks of the 9th WV are to the right.] Those heights visible in the distance (or the next little ridge over, to be more precise) is where Kershaw's guys overran Thoburn's position. Some of Thoburn's men were still pulling on their drawers and shoes.
1586041911154-png.png

Last edited:
dsc03469-jpg.jpg

... just before the pre-dawn attack, Kershaw's division (4 brigades: Kershaws old SC then commanded by Goggin; Semmes old GA then commanded by Simms; Barksdale's old MS then commanded by Humphries; and Wofford's GA) crossed Cedar Creek at Bowman's Mill Ford (not to be confused with Bowman's Ford which is the ford used by part of Gordon's division) and snuck up on Thoburn's Division of the 9th Corps when they were still in tents sleeping. Kershaw's division made their attack uphill, in pre-dawn darkness; captured a battery (or section) of cannon; turned them and used them against the Federals further up. Joseph Thoburn was a West VA physician before the war; he was unfortunately killed in the melee.
And here's the hilltop where Thoburn's camps were and where he was killed.

Great pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them. Did yall run into @Package4 ? He was there -- with the 2nd MD I believe.
@captaindrew was kind enough to come looking for us on Saturday just before the rain, it was great to finally meet him! We were ensconced down by the creek and eschewed tentage, big mistake! We always make fun of all the wall tents up on the ridge, the HMS Victory had less canvas!

Saturday, we were no longer making fun of those on the ridge during the 4 hour rain………Saturday’s battle was fairly good for Cedar Creek and lasted a good hour and a half. My event was cut short by a brogan blowout, my faithful 20 y/o brogues gave up the ghost, I had them resoled a half dozen times, but alas the sole finally detached on the left.

I’m not as hardy as I used to be and running barefoot through briars, cow patties and cut corn stalks was no longer appealing.

Unfortunately I missed Dane, Clark and Viper21 on Sunday.

@captaindrew was kind enough to come looking for us on Saturday just before the rain, it was great to finally meet him! We were ensconced down by the creek and eschewed tentage, big mistake! We always make fun of all the wall tents up on the ridge, the HMS Victory had less canvas!

Saturday, we were no longer making fun of those on the ridge during the 4 hour rain………Saturday’s battle was fairly good for Cedar Creek and lasted a good hour and a half. My event was cut short by a brogan blowout, my faithful 20 y/o brogues gave up the ghost, I had them resoled a half dozen times, but alas the sole finally detached on the left.

I’m not as hardy as I used to be and running barefoot through briars, cow patties and cut corn stalks was no longer appealing.

Unfortunately I missed Dane, Clark and Viper21 on Sunday.
It was great meeting you too, would love to do an event sometime with you guys. Sorry I didn't make it back down there. Started to a couple times and got pulled in other directions.

Rode up to Cedar Creek today to catch the battle. Ran in to @Stone in the wall & @PBRegiment while there. Was a pretty cool day. In more ways than one...lol. Was the first real day of fall temps. I ran in to a lot of people I knew today. Besides a few spectators, I did have a couple friends on the field, in the battle too. A couple Infantry, a couple fellas in cannon crews, & one cavalry member.

Here's some pics of the show:

View attachment 418676

View attachment 418677

View attachment 418678

View attachment 418679

View attachment 418680

View attachment 418681

View attachment 418682

View attachment 418683

Was an awesome day, with some super cool people. A little chilly but, was definitely worth the ride.
You guys have way too much fun

Back