CBF & Black Southerners (corrected)

Does the CBF have a different meaning to black southerners?

• "Blacks Ain't Southerners!"

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Yes! The CBF applies equally to all regardless of race.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Wow! I really have no idea!

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Depends upon the Time Frame.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • It holds a different meaning for each individual.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • The CBF was coopted by the KKK & other organizations

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • The CBF will forever stand for making a difficult stand, right or wrong.

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
Neil, Battalion and I will keep pecking away until your blue eyes have a hint of gray.....

You wrote:

"I have no problem with the idea that Southern soldiers were serving in what they thought was a just and honorable cause. Just as I have no problem with the idea the Northern soldiers thought they were serving a just and honorable cause. It is just that history has acknowledged that the Southern soldiers were fighting for the wrong one.

While they fought for this wrong cause, it does not in any way detract from their bravery or courage and does not take away from their many acts of compassion on the battlefield. They should be honored for those acts alone and remembered for them.

But the cause they fought for should not be swept away in our rush to honor them, or we won't learn anything and we will pass along an unfocused lesson of history."

In my still humble opinion, Southern soldiers fought for many right causes, as we have discussed many times before. Yes, for the lebenty seventh time, the overlying relationship of the results of southern efforts with respect to the notion that slavery was part of the war effort can not be denied, nor will I attempt to do so. The CAUSE was not so simple and I submit was by no means totally focused on slavery as you continue to champion as a conclusion of your many years of study in this regard. At least from the perspective of the Confederate soldier, slavery was not the central theme causing him to risk life, limbs and the family farm. Politicians and you northern folks seem to enjoy arguing otherwise. Us Cornfeds still don't completely agree.

Larry,

You state that you think Confederate soldiers fought for many right causes.

Whatever cause they fought for, whatever cause they thought right, they ended up fighting for slavery.

In my opinion.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

unionblue said:
Larry,

You state that you think Confederate soldiers fought for many right causes.

Whatever cause they fought for, whatever cause they thought right, they ended up fighting for slavery.

In my opinion.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

...and the North fought for and upheld slavery wherever it legally existed within the United States-
all of Missouri, Kentucky, Delaware, Maryland, and Tennessee and parts of Louisiana and Virginia. Maintaining seven Slave States and 800,000 slaves.

What did that English guy say about the EP?-

"Slavery is wrong...but only if you are disloyal to the United States"

Battalion,

Again, you have your opinion, I have mine.

All I know is that a result of the Civil War, slavery was abolished by the 13th amendment to the Constitution and is no longer a curse upon this nation.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Battalion, there is no doubt that at the end of the War w/ a victorious US slavery was dead. If the CS had won slavery would have remained, w/in their borders least ways. I know it is a horrible thought to you but slavery in the US was abolished by the US & good ridance.

One less stain upon the honor & integrity of the US.

CBF & Black Southerners

It is interesting that the south fought a great and bloody war, to the bitter end and at the end of that terrible war, the only thing that really changed in the south was the emancipation of its slaves.

OpnDownfall said:
It is interesting that the south fought a great and bloody war, to the bitter end and at the end of that terrible war, the only thing that really changed in the south was the emancipation of its slaves.

On the contrary, post war,and it took awhile, the South finally got on the free labor train and as they did so eventually found that 'Northern Mudsill" labor was not so bad after all and built some darned good industries, etc..

They screwed it up, of course, witness Atlanta, GA., but generally have done OK.

Had the states separated, what progress under slavery do you suggest would have been better?

-

unionblue said:
Battalion,

Again, you have your opinion, I have mine.

All I know is that a result of the Civil War, slavery was abolished by the 13th amendment to the Constitution and is no longer a curse upon this nation.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

I'll have to respectfully disagree with that second sentence above. Slavery is, in my opinion, still a curse upon this nation.

Many a Southern soldier, though his efforts were assumed as an attempt to help the cause of slavery enthusiasts, certainly didn't necessarily intend for his vote of service to be used to meet that end. There were far better goals in mind. Defending one's home, constitutional rights, and one's very existence come to mind.

Some of my great grandfathers figured the Union was worth preserving and did their best to assure that happened. Others were caught up in the fight, not a slave in sight, just yankee bullets.

CBF & Black Southerners

Exactly right, Sam Grant, despite the varied reasons of the common soldiers, the reason they were in the army in the first place was to protect a gov't whose very reason for existence was the protection of slavery. The success of the confederacy guaranteed slavery, whether the other 'varied' reasons of the common soldier survived the war or Not.
As you noted, the south had to get on board the free labor track, however reluctantly, 'Because' they lost the war meant to save their slaves.
The Union was 'finally' unified both socially and Economically.
The centrality of slavery to the civil war, was proved by the result of that war. The only result of the war was the extinction of slavery in America and because it was eliminated the Union was for the first time in its existence 'truly' unified.

The Confederate battle flag is like the sight of the Stars and Stripes flying at the ballpark or over the Capitol in Washington. Just does something to a Southern soul. A warm fuzzy feeling. No hate, just a warm fuzzy feeling. It's who we are as a people. St. Andrew would have wanted it that way.

Can I get an AMEN????!

Beowulf

Larry?Beowulfie!

The Confederate battle flag is like the sight of the Stars and Stripes flying at the ballpark or over the Capitol in Washington. Just does something to a Southern soul. A warm fuzzy feeling. No hate, just a warm fuzzy feeling. It's who we are as a people. St. Andrew would have wanted it that way.

Sorry Larry and Beowulfie,

I get no warm fuzzy feeling from this traitorous flag. I am only reminded that a group of misguided Americans wanted to destroy our forefather's great experiment of making a nation. This CBF flag should only be fly over Southern war memorials and regulated to history.
:thumbsup:

I get no warm fuzzy feeling from this traitorous flag. I am only reminded that a group of misguided Americans wanted to destroy our forefather's great experiment of making a nation. This CBF flag should only be fly over Southern war memorials and regulated to history.
Nor do I, 5fish. But we are conversing here with some very good friends who might think differently about that flag. Keep a little love in your heart.

ole

Jericho

Have any of you been watching this whacky show? Its been on for, I think, two seasons now and I caught some episodes. The basic premise is that the country is torn apart by terrorism striking with nuclear weapons in 23 cities. The remnants of the US WEST of the Mississippi River form the 'Allied States of America' where they unfurl a US flag with VERTICAL stripes (as if any righteous American would EVER salute that piece of garbage!)

But the reason why I mention this is that the show implies insidious intentions with this new government and BELOW the sleeves of the soldiers of the 'Allied States of America' seems to be, of all things, the Confederate Battle Flag.

Sorry Larry and Beowulfie,

I get no warm fuzzy feeling from this traitorous flag. I am only reminded that a group of misguided Americans

We don't consider them misguided.

5fish said:
wanted to destroy our forefather's great experiment of making a nation.

Some of us consider the result of the Civil War as detrimental to the forefather's vision of America.

5fish said:
This CBF flag should only be fly over Southern war memorials and regulated ['relegated?'] to history.
:thumbsup:

We will fly the flag where we please.

Flag!

Preformatted:
We will fly the flag where we please.[/quote]

As long as it is not above state capital buildings or any other state or federal government building. It can fly almost anywhere else is find for the first amendment gives you that right. There were misguided people back then as there are now.

What a wonderful nation we have!

Back