Cavalry Question

Grew up with horses, and would be pleased to know half as much about them as ME Wolf does. Prince, Queen, Dolly, Star, Roany.'=

Star wanted each of us dead. When Star was loose, we were instucted to go hide. Think the dad fiaally gave him to Gib Gringon, who knew a thing or three about breaking horses.

Last edited:
Saddlers were the ones that saddled the spare horses of an officer and or staff. They were the ones who, for example saddled up General John Doe's horses and watch the General--if his first mount got shot, wounded and or killed --got lame, the saddler would mount the General's second horse and gallop out to the General dismount and carry the saddle and equipment off the dead horse back to headquarters; and or lead the wounded and or lame horse back to be treated, and the saddler would then be getting the fourth horse ready, as the other saddler with horse number three be watching that General to race out to give him a fresh horse if need be.

Well, that's a new one to me. I always thought a "saddler" was the man who repaired saddles. For example, from Kautz' Customs of Service:

"Saddlers.--Each company of cavalry is allowed an enlisted man as saddler, whose duty it is to keep the horse-equipements of the company in repair, under the direction of the company commander and the saddler sergeant. The pay of saddler is fourteen dollars per month, the same as a corporal of cavalry, with the same allowance of clothing and rations. Military duty ordinarily is not required of either saddler sergeants or saddlers; but they should be instructed in a knowledge of the ordinary duties, and should at all times be available in case of necessity."

I would have thought the person responsible for saddling an officer's horse or bringing a new one up would be his servant or an orderly. Some examples of that usage:

"Presently he called his orderly, Morris, and ordered his bay horse saddled, which being done he rode away." From In Camp and Battle with the Washington Artillery of New Orleans at http://books.google.com/books?id=Z1w7AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA113

"The General then passed on to his tent, and a few minutes later the Colonel, noticing his colored servant, Charles, leading the General's saddled horse to his tent, ran to..." From http://books.google.com/books?id=KV01AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA566

That would parallel civilian usage, where you'd take a saddle or harness to the saddler to be repaired, but ask a servant to saddle or harness your horse.

Do you have an example of "saddler" used to denote the person who saddled people's horses in the army?

When I was in the military, we didn't have guns. We had missiles.

I had bombs and missiles [and occasionally mines], but I also had .38 revolvers, which were later replaced by 9mm semiautomatics that we used to protect the "tickets." On alert, the guards had the M-16s. Our gunner had the 4 .50 machine guns, but they were eventually pulled out.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XI/1 [S# 12]
THE PENINSULAR CAMPAIGN, VIRGINIA
March 17-September 2, 1862.(*)
No. 11. -- Report of Surg. Jonathan Letterman, U. S. Army, Medical Director Army of the Potomac, of operations from July 4 to September 2.
GENERAL ORDERS No. 147.
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC;
Camp near Harrison's Landing, Va., August 2,1862.
The following regulations for the organization of the ambulance corps and the management of ambulance trains are published for the information and government of all concerned. Commanders of army corps will see that they are carried into effect without delay:

[excerpt]
5. The first lieutenant assigned to the ambulance corps of a division will have complete control, under the commander of the whole corps and the medical director, of all the ambulances, transport carts, ambulance horses, &c., in the division. He will be the acting assistant quartermaster for the division ambulance corps, and will receipt and be responsible for the property belonging to it, and be held responsible for any deficiency in ambulances, transport carts, horses, harness, &c., pertaining to the ambulance corps of the division. He will have a traveling cavalry forge, a blacksmith, and a saddler, who will be under his orders, to enable him to keep his train in order. He will receive a daily inspection report of all the ambulances, horses, &c., under his charge from the officers in charge of brigade ambulance corps, will see that the subordinates attend strictly to their duties at all times, and will inspect the corps under his charge once a week; a report of which inspection he will transmit to the commander of the ambulance corps.
[excerpt]
---------------------------------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XIII [S# 19]
MAY 29, 1862.--Skirmish at Kickapoo Bottom, near Sylamore, Ark.
No. 2. -- Report of Lieut. H. D. B. Cutler, Adjutant Third Iowa Cavalry.
HEADQUARTERS THIRD IOWA CAVALRY,
Batesville, Ark., May 31, 1862.
The detachment from your command for the recent expedition has returned. Major Bowen, as commander of the expedition, has made his report to the proper authorities,(*) and I transmit the following as a matter of record of the doings of the detachment of the Third Iowa Cavalry in the expedition:

During the second day's march we captured one of the enemy's pickets, and learning from him that a band of guerrillas was encamped on the Kickapoo Bottom, we were induced to vary from our instructions and turn from our course, to endeavor to kill, capture, or disperse them before proceeding forward. Consequently we turned off to the right for Sylamore, which place we reached about dark, a distance of 60 miles from Batesville. The camp was about 2 miles up the river, and Major Bowen determined upon a surprise. After proceeding to within half a mile of the camp the men were dismounted and directions given to surround the rebels; but owing to the extreme darkness of the night we were not able to hit upon the exact locality, and while cautiously feeling our way we were fired upon by their pickets of 25 or 30 men. We returned the fire, and for a few minutes nothing could be heard but the rapid shots from our revolvers. The enemy had run after delivering their fire. Pursuit was made, resulting in the capture of 25 prisoners, 40 horses and mules, and 40 stand of arms. Other property found in their camp was destroyed for want of transportation, we having no wagons.

Our loss was Stanton B. Millan (battalion saddler), sergeant, killed; Capt. Israel Anderson, Company C, shot through the thigh; Private Joseph T. French, Company A, shot through the thigh. Sergeant Millan was buried the next day (30th) on the field. The wounded we brought with us with great difficulty, having no means of transportation until we were able to press a buggy.

We encamped on the night of the 29th in the rebel camp, and being encumbered with prisoners, horses, and contraband property, as well as our own wounded, it was deemed advisable to return to Batesville, especially as the time we were limited to would expire by that time, and our rations were giving out. Accordingly we left for camp at about noon. Before starting the rebels had made their appearance on the opposite side of the river, and had fired upon our men while they were watering their horses. The howitzers were brought into position to shell the woods, with what effect is not known. Two at least of the enemy are known to be killed, having been picked off by carbines across the river. After ascending the bluff on our return our extreme rear guard of 4 men of Company K were fired into by a party of about 25 guerrillas, who then ran, pursued by the rear guard. No one hurt on our side except one man, who was shot through the canteen, losing the molasses with which it was filled. Nothing occurred on our homeward march save an occasional shot from our flankers, telling unmistakably they were doing their duty.
Great praise is due our men for their uniform good conduct on the march as well as their unflinching readiness in the attack. Nor can I forbear mentioning the fortitude evinced by Captain Anderson and Private French during their painful carriage to camp. Not a word escaped them, though the roughness of the roads must necessarily have made their wounds excruciatingly painful.

Of Millan it is unnecessary for me to speak, for his well-known morality and attention to his duties must have long before this commended him to your notice as well as that of the regiment at large. Poor fellow! It was his first and last scout, and his loss is sincerely mourned by all who knew him.

With great respect, I am, colonel, your obedient servant,
H. D. B. CUTLER,
Adjutant.
----------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXX/1 [S# 50]
AUGUST 16-SEPTEMBER 22, 1863.--The Chickamauga Campaign.
No. 50. --Report of Capt. Josiah W. Church, Battery D, First Michigan Light Artillery.

HEADQUARTERS FOURTH MICHIGAN BATTERY,
Chattanooga, Tenn., September 26, 1863.
CAPTAIN: On the morning of the 19th instant I was ordered by Colonel Connell, commanding First Brigade, Third Division, Fourteenth Army Corps, to take a position on the left of the Chattanooga road and about 50 yards in rear of the line of battle formed by the First Brigade at this point. I remained about half an hour, when I was ordered to follow the Seventeenth Ohio Volunteer Regiment, which order I immediately obeyed. We moved into the woods about 1 mile, where we found the Third Brigade, of the Third Division; they were in line of battle, Company I, Fourth Regular Artillery, being in position with them. Soon after the First Brigade joined the Third, Colonel Van Derveer, commanding the Third Brigade, retired his line some 50 yards and formed on the right of the First Brigade. Lieutenant Smith, commanding Company I, Fourth Regular Artillery, placed his battery on my right, the Eighty-second Indiana
Volunteer Infantry, commanded by Colonel Hunter, being on my right as support. In this position we were engaged by the enemy for a short time, when they were driven back by the fire of artillery and infantry. I then changed my front a little to the left. Lieutenant Smith placed one section of his battery on my left, commanding an open field in his front. In this position the Fifteenth Regiment Infantry acted as support on my left. Here we were soon hotly engaged by the enemy, they advancing on our front and left. As they advanced I fired shell until they were within about 200 yards, when, seeing the support on the left break, I ordered my men to double-shot their guns with canister, and firing low and rapidly, with the help of the Fourth Regular Battery and the infantry support on my right, the enemy were soon driven from our entire front so far as could be seen by me. During this engagement I had 2 men painfully but not seriously wounded. My officers and men without exception behaved like veterans, every man doing his duty faithfully.

[excerpt]
My officers and men behaved, without a single exception, as veteran soldiers, obeying orders and attending to their duties. Lieutenants. Corbin, Sawyer, and Fuller did their duty nobly during the two days fight, and Lieutenant Wheat, although sick with a fever, could not be kept off the field on the 20th; although feeble in health, he was strong in heart and rendered me valuable service during my last engagement. Sergt. S. E. Lawrence deserves the utmost credit for his conduct while in charge of the line of caissons, and by obeying orders promptly and watching our movements, saved all the caissons and brought them off the field in good order. Sergt. S. W. Allen also deserves great praise for his coolness and courage; he remained with his gun, defending it with his revolver until he had discharged the last round and came near being run through with a rebel bayonet, when he made his escape. His piece was left on the ground for want of help to get it off. As my number of cannoneers were short the day previous, I was obliged to take a portion of his detachment to assist in getting off another piece.

Sergeants Seymour, Hazzard, Haymaker, and Durfey deserve credit for their determination and courage. All my corporals discharged their duties faithfully and deserve all credit. My saddler, H. J. Bartlett, deserves much praise for his services in getting my battery wagon, forge, and headquarters wagons off the field in good condition, they being nearly surrounded by the enemy before he was aware of his condition. During the two days' fight I had I sergeant and 6 men wounded, and 4 men missing. I received a slight wound on my left arm from a spent musket ball.

t here becomes my duty as well as a great pleasure to tender my thanks, as well as those of my officers and men, to Col. J. M. Connell and staff for their efficiency and noble deeds on the battle-field during the two days' battle.

I also tender the thanks of myself, officers, and men to the Seventeenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the Thirty first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and Eighty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry and their gallant commanders for the handsome manner in which they fought in support of my battery during the fight.
With respect, I remain, &c.,
J. W. CHURCH,
Captain, Comdg. Fourth Michigan Battery.
Capt. A. J. DAVIS,
Assistant Adjutant-General, First Brigade.
--------------
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVI/1 [S# 95]
MARCH 29-APRIL 9, 1865.--The Appomattox (Virginia) Campaign.
No. 266.--Medals of Honor awarded for distinguished services under Resolution of Congress, No. 43, approved July 12, 1862, and section 6 of Act of Congress approved March 3, 1863.

Sova, Joseph E Saddler Company H, 8th New York Cavalry. Apr. -- Capture of flag in Virginia.

-----------------------
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLIX/1 [S# 103]
May 1-10, 1865.--Pursuit and capture of Jefferson Davis
No. 7.--Report of Capt. John C. Hathaway, Fourth Michigan Cavalry.

James Newell Saddler, Company M.

-------------------------------
Medical/Surgical History--Part I, Volume II
On Special Wounds And Injuries.
Chapter I.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Head.

SHUREY, AMOS, Saddler, Co. H, 21st Pennsylvania Cavalry, was wounded by sabre-cuts at the affair at Jettersville, Virginia, April 5th, 1865. The outer tables of the parietal bones were fractured, and also the ulna and fifth metacarpal bone. He was admitted to First Division Hospital, Annapolis, Maryland, April 15th, and on May 9th he was transferred to the Second Division Hospital at Annapolis. He died May 12th, 1865.

-------------
Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume II
Chapter IX.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Upper Extremities.
Section III.--Excisions Of The Head And Portions Of The Shaft Of The Humerus

Richard, C. A., Saddler, A, 16th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Oct. 14, 1863. Shot fracture of upper third of right humerus, extending into the joint. Oct. 16, 1863. Excision of the head and three inches of the shaft of the humerus. Disch'd Sept. 3, 1864. Not a pensioner in February, 1875.

-------------------
Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume II
Chapter IX.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Upper Extremities.
Section IV.--Injuries Of The Shaft Of The Humerus.

NO. NAME, AGE, AND MILITARY DESCRIPTION. DATES. OPERATIONS, OPERATOR, RESULT.
1 Bell, G. J., Saddler, M, 15th N. Y. Cavalry. Left.

------------
Medical/Surgical History--Part III, Volume II
Chapter X.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Lower Extremities.
Section V.--Wounds And Operations In The Leg.
Fatal Cases of Intermediary Excisions in the Bones of the Leg

80 Partridge, G.V., Saddler, B, 4th Mass. Cavalry, age 21. April 2, 9, 1864. Left; portion of tibia exc'd, also lig. ant. tibial art. A.A. Surg. W..A. Greenleaf. April 27, haem. Died May 2, 1864; pyaemia.

----------
Fatal Primary Amputations in the Lower Third of the Leg

682 Arte, Ph., Saddler, H, 17th Penn. Cav., age 24. Aug. 11, 11, '64. Left; flap. Died November 17, 1864.

-----------
Fatal Primary Amputations in the Middle Third of the Bones of the Leg

590 Schaniski, L., Saddler, G, 1st Louisiana Cavalry, age 43. Nov. 3, 3, '63. Left; circ. Confederate surgeon. Pieces of necros'd hone remov'd. (Also left little finger shot off.) Disch'd Feb. 1, '64. Died Sept. 20, '70; erysipelas and pyaemia. Spec. 4310.
--------------
Chapter XII.--Wounds And Complications.
Ligations of the Arteries
40 Partridge, G. V.,Saddler, B, 4th Massachusetts Cav., age 21. April 2, 1864. Fracture left tibia, and injury ant. tibial artery. April 9, 1864. Anterior tibial April 9, 1864. In wound, one end; April 27, haemorrhage recurred. Died May 2, 1864; haemorrhage; pyaemia.
-----------more----
Chapter XII.--Wounds And Complications.
Ligations of the Arteries

CASE 1180.--Saddler G. V. Partridge, Co. B, 4th Massachusetts Cavalry, aged 21 years, was wounded in the left leg during a skirmish near Jacksonville, April 2, 1864. The missile, a ball, passed directly through from back to front, fracturing the tibia, comminuting a portion of the internal surface of the bone, and cutting the anterior tibial artery at the middle of the limb. Five days after being wounded the man was admitted to hospital No. 3, at Beaufort, where haemorrhage occurred to the amount of four ounces from the distal end of the injured vessel on April 9th, on which day the fractured bone was excised and the artery was ligated. The operation was performed by Acting Assistant Surgeon W. A. Greenleaf, who made an incision five inches in length along the line of the internal surface of the tibia and removed eleven pieces of bone, cutting off the points with the chain-saw. At the time of the operation the edges of the wound looked dry and red, and the parts were swollen, very painful, and discharging some. The patient was in good spirits and had a good appetite, but was exhausted from previous loss of blood; pulse 65. Only the lower extremity of the anterior tibial artery was ligated, the vessel having been so extensively destroyed that it was impossible to reach the upper end. Chloroform was used during the operation, from which the patient reacted well. He did well for three days, when chills came on and the wound sloughed. On December 17th sloughing ceased, healthy granulations appeared, and pus discharged freely. Stimulants were duly administered. On April 20th chills were more frequent and at times severe. Decided symptoms of pyaemia developed on April 27th, when a slight haemorrhage also recurred front the superficial arteries, which was easily controlled by pressure and the application of persulphate of iron. Death resulted from pyaemia May 2, 1864. The history of the case was reported by Assistant Surgeon J. F. Huber, U. S. V.
-------
Saddlers, though charged with the care and repair of saddles, also performed as Troopers.

According to Major John J. Lynch, U.S. Cavalry (Ret.) before taking the director's position of Morven Equestrian Center, Leesburg, Virginia - an instructor for years there stated to the students (us) that saddlers were indeed in charge of all things leather, such as bridles, saddles, harness and adjustments. Such as to patch, to re-pad the underside of the saddle (hanging a saddle on a rope one can see if either side is 'smashed' more than the other), to re-line leather items, e.g. replace fleece and replace worn out saddle blankets. Being that his eyes were keen on his expertise` his ability to saddle a horse as to be comfortable, adjust the stirrup leathers on the spare horse or replacement horse was just as important as involving themselves in a skirmish or charge and, as he was an officer of Cavalry in the 1950's his saddlers were Troopers with added duties and pay. His judgment to put them into a battle would be towards the end as being under a commanding officer's orders--it was his need of him to be present to mend to swap saddles off during a return (known as "recall") before another charge was most important. Not much different from a NASCAR pit crew.

Some of us who show horses have our "grooms" and or "assistants." When a stirrup leather breaks at the buckle our groom/assistant/saddler swiftly replaces it with a new spare pre-set to my preferred length with a stirrup matching the one on the saddle--extra girths, spare bridles, breastplates, tie-downs (martingales) and would have my old saddle or a different saddle as "spare" as sometimes the area of which the stirrup leather may fail --its just wise to have spares; in driving - spare hames, spare collars, spare saddles and traces, hanger straps, spare 'check' pieces (side or over), crupper, spare curb straps and curb chains--even spare spurs and spur straps. It saves tons of time and keeps the rider/driver in the competition per se.

M. E. Wolf

Last edited:
[[[WARNING GRAPHIC]]]

Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer (Sorrel)
Chapter XXI—Battle Of Gettysburg, July I, 2, 3, 1863.

[EXCERPT]

While Longstreet by no means approved the movement, his soldierly eye watched every feature of it. He neglected nothing that could help it and his anxiety for Pickett and the men was very apparent.

Fearing some flank attacks if we succeeded, he had sent Latrobe to the left to warn the officer against its possibility. I went sharply off in search of Pickett to watch his right and if necessary move some troops in for meeting such an attempt. I did not meet with General Pickett and was soon up with Garnett and Armistead. The former was ill that morning, but was at the head of his men where he was to fall. Just here a shell burst under my horse (my best), a splendid chestnut mare, and down she came, both hind legs off. I luckily got another from a mounted man near by, who rather ruefully gave up his horse and saved my saddle for me. Latrobe also had his horse killed over on the left; other staff officers were also sent forward with the troops and shared in the charge.

----------------------------------
M. E. Wolf

He will have a traveling cavalry forge, a blacksmith, and a saddler, who will be under his orders, to enable him to keep his train in order.

Exactly. That's the context I thought it was used in--a saddler was like the blacksmith, who kept things in order, i.e. repaired.

Of Millan it is unnecessary for me to speak, for his well-known morality and attention to his duties must have long before this commended him to your notice as well as that of the regiment at large. Poor fellow! It was his first and last scout, and his loss is sincerely mourned by all who knew him.

That doesn't seem to indicate what his specific duties were when he was acting as a saddler rather than scouting, whether he was doing leatherwork or saddling officers' horses. Even Kautz says "they should be instructed in a knowledge of the ordinary duties, and should at all times be available in case of necessity."

Sergeants Seymour, Hazzard, Haymaker, and Durfey deserve credit for their determination and courage. All my corporals discharged their duties faithfully and deserve all credit. My saddler, H. J. Bartlett, deserves much praise for his services in getting my battery wagon, forge, and headquarters wagons off the field in good condition, they being nearly surrounded by the enemy before he was aware of his condition. During the two days' fight I had I sergeant and 6 men wounded, and 4 men missing. I received a slight wound on my left arm from a spent musket ball.

That would indicate the saddler may have been available in the area of the battery wagon, forge and other wagons, which would fit with him being the man who repaired saddles and harnesses.

Saddlers, though charged with the care and repair of saddles, also performed as Troopers.

Exactly. So we have them repairing leather, and performing as troopers. What evidence is there that they were specifically tasked to saddle officers' horses and bring up replacement mounts?

According to Major John J. Lynch, U.S. Cavalry (Ret.) before taking the director's position of Morven Equestrian Center, Leesburg, Virginia - an instructor for years there stated to the students (us) that saddlers were indeed in charge of all things leather, such as bridles, saddles, harness and adjustments. Such as to patch, to re-pad the underside of the saddle (hanging a saddle on a rope one can see if either side is 'smashed' more than the other), to re-line leather items, e.g. replace fleece and replace worn out saddle blankets.

That fits with Kautz.

Being that his eyes were keen on his expertise` his ability to saddle a horse as to be comfortable, adjust the stirrup leathers on the spare horse or replacement horse was just as important as involving themselves in a skirmish or charge and, as he was an officer of Cavalry in the 1950's his saddlers were Troopers with added duties and pay. His judgment to put them into a battle would be towards the end as being under a commanding officer's orders--it was his need of him to be present to mend to swap saddles off during a return (known as "recall") before another charge was most important. Not much different from a NASCAR pit crew.

So that's one man's experience from the 1950s. Is there anything from the 1860s showing that "Saddlers were the ones that saddled the spare horses of an officer and or staff," rather than the officers' servants or orderlies?

I don't doubt that they occasionally did, but if that job was theirs consistently, seems that it would be easy to find examples of them doing it, just as I can find examples of servants and orderlies doing it. Anyone got examples of saddlers doing it? I'm still finding orderlies and servants:

http://books.google.com/books?id=IMgvAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA278
But a few minutes elapsed before little Joe Rushing, my orderly, brought my other horse. I told him to go out and call two of the artillerymen to come and put me on him, which was done.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_O52AAAAMAAJ (p. 229)
I sat down to write you a letter last night, but the rebels commenced so noisy an attack on our lines that it stirred us all out, and I was compelled to conclude the letter very hastily while my servant was saddling my horse.

Although this is 1870, it indicates the difference in duties:

http://books.google.com/books?id=wfMAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA249
During the day, every duty, military or household, is regulated and performed by the different calls of the bugle... if I asked the orderly, "When will you have time to take my saddle to the company saddler's?" he would answer, "After stable-call."

Back