Cavalry during the Civil War.

I doubt that for several reasons but I don't want to totally hijack the thread with long explanations. But if you want to start an LBH thread elsewhere I'm up for it.
If you are interested, you could post in the existing thread, "Could Custer Have Won At Little Big Horn"- or start a new thread....

If you are interested, you could post in the existing thread, "Could Custer Have Won At Little Big Horn"- or start a new thread....

Give me a week to get home. I'm on vacation and I don't want to take on a Custer/LBH discussion typing on my phone.

Since Kster's military career was inextricably linked with the cavalry, I would like to hear an opinion on his tactics in this very topic, but if the participants decide that a separate topic is needed, it will be interesting to read it too.

Once it came about Custer, I want to ask about this.
During the civil war, Custer had the rank of general.
After the Civil War, he was a colonel of the 7th Cavalry Regiment.
He was for something lowered in rank or the military ranks of the Civil War period had nothing to do with the military ranks of the regular army?

Maybe I'm not very clear write, because I write in English through an electronic translator Google.
Therefore, if I'm not explaining something, please do not kick me for this :smile:

Lieutenant Colonel Custer was the regimental executive officer of the US 7th Cavalry. Colonel Sam Sturgis was the regimental commander. But Sturgis was usually on detached duty and so Custer was almost always acting commander.

Custer's major general rank was a brevet. It was an actual position when he was a cavalry division commander during the Civil War and an honorary title thereafter.

He was for something lowered in rank or the military ranks of the Civil War period had nothing to do with the military ranks of the regular army?
it is debated in another topic about rank.

Professional Union officers had 2 or even 3 ranks.
a rank In the regular army
a rank in the volunteers
(a breve rank in the regular army.)

Custer was a major general of volunteers. When the war ended the volunteer army was disbanded and so was his "job" as a major general. (division commnader)

So he was back to being a captain in the regular army...
Then after a short period out of the army he got his "job" in the 7th cavalry.

Just an idea maybe in the campfire forum if @WJC or other mods approve you can share,what you know about Soviet cavalry in WW2. The exploits of the cavalry war on the Eastern Front is not well known in the West.
Leftyhunter

If the topic of the Russian cavalry and the Soviet cavalry is interesting on this form, I can share my knowledge on this account, as well as find the necessary information in Russian forums and share it with you.
Let someone create an appropriate topic in any of the sections where it will be possible to condemn these questions if the rules of the Civil War forum in the United States allow it.

If the topic of the Russian cavalry and the Soviet cavalry is interesting on this form, I can share my knowledge on this account, as well as find the necessary information in Russian forums and share it with you.
Let someone create an appropriate topic in any of the sections where it will be possible to condemn these questions if the rules of the Civil War forum in the United States allow it.
I will ask the mods @WJC @Lnwlf if its ok to have a thread on Soviet Cavalry.
Leftyhunter

I'm not sure about "hard to do" so much as not instinctive.

I got the saber thrust between the ribs from some Civil War book I read, but unfortunately I don't recall which one as it was years ago. Maybe the author was mistaken.
Human instinct is to hack away. This was taken advantage of by the German and British cavalry who issued cutting blades for most of the 19th century.

Perhaps he was conflating his knowledge of Roman mythos with civil war swordsmanship. But then again I've read a lot of duff in ACW books. Most notable the "blunt smashing sword myth" which is debunked by reading any manual or handlung the weapons.

Back