Cavalry Battle At Haw's Shop Crossroads

Neagle2VR

Private
Mechanicsville (Hanover Courthouse), Virginia
On May 28, 1864, Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton's cavalry engaged Union Gen. David Gregg's calvalry in battle on this field about one mile south of the crossroads at Haw's Shop (nears where Studley Store is today). After a five hour stalemate the seven hour battle ended in a Union victory with the arrival of Gen. George Custer, resulting in 365 Union casualties and 380 Confederate casualties. Among the Union losses included the mortally wounded John Huff, credited by some with fatally shooting JEB Stuart at The Battle Of Yelow Tavern about two weeks earlier.

01IMG_20200214_123818813.jpg

01IMG_20200214_123818814.jpg

02IMG_20200214_123841665.jpg

03.jpg

05IMG_20200214_123927017_resized_cropped+20200224.jpg

06IMG_20200214_124538889.jpg

07IMG_20200214_12373926_edited2_20200224.jpg

Nice pics. I just submitted a manuscript to my publisher titled Six Days of Awful Fighting: Cavalry on the Road to Cold Harbor that addresses Hanovertown Ferry (May 27, 1864), Haw's Shop (May 28), Matedequin Creek (sometimes called Old Church)(May 30), Hanover Court House (May 31), Cold Harbor (May 31), Ashland (June 1) and Cold Harbor again (June 1). The manuscript is about 110,000 words long. It will have 25 really good maps and 65 images. It's meant to be the prequel to my book on the Trevilian Raid and the Battle of Trevilian Station. This one ends right where Glory Enough for All: Sheridan's Second Raid and the Battle of Trevilian Station picks up. Look for it later this year since this topic appears to be of interest to you--the editor just got the manuscript yesterday.

Nice pics. I just submitted a manuscript to my publisher titled Six Days of Awful Fighting: Cavalry on the Road to Cold Harbor that addresses Hanovertown Ferry (May 27, 1864), Haw's Shop (May 28), Matedequin Creek (sometimes called Old Church)(May 30), Hanover Court House (May 31), Cold Harbor (May 31), Ashland (June 1) and Cold Harbor again (June 1). The manuscript is about 110,000 words long. It will have 25 really good maps and 65 images. It's meant to be the prequel to my book on the Trevilian Raid and the Battle of Trevilian Station. This one ends right where Glory Enough for All: Sheridan's Second Raid and the Battle of Trevilian Station picks up. Look for it later this year since this topic appears to be of interest to you--the editor just got the manuscript yesterday.
I will look for it. My interest comes simply because I live three miles south of Hanover Courthouse, 3/4 mile east of Cash's Corner (Crosses Corner today). I've driven the backroads many times and have seen all these places. Until now my focus has been researching where all my gg grandfathers, and other close ancestors, served and fought. Locally they include both Seven Days and Overland Campaigns. One served almost his entire time a t Chaffin's Farm.

I will look for it. My interest comes simply because I live three miles south of Hanover Courthouse, 3/4 mile east of Cash's Corner (Crosses Corner today). I've driven the backroads many times and have seen all these places. Until now my focus has been researching where all my gg grandfathers, and other close ancestors, served and fought. Locally they include both Seven Days and Overland Campaigns. One served almost his entire time a t Chaffin's Farm.

Understood. I will be sure to announce it here when it comes out.

Great pictures and commentary @Neagle2VR . Thanks for the informative post. From the pictures,it looks like the battlefield is largely untouched. I love sites like that. Not any like that around the Houston area though.

Great pictures and commentary @Neagle2VR . Thanks for the informative post. From the pictures,it looks like the battlefield is largely untouched. I love sites like that. Not any like that around the Houston area though.
Yes, it's very much as it was at the time of the battle. The house in the background is Oak Grove, the home of John Haw, owner of Haw's Shop. It's still a private property and farmed every year.

Thanks for posting these pictures. I have not had the opportunity to visit this location. Your pictures have extra meaning since according to his service records, the horse of my great grandfather, Private Paul Ellsworth, Company B, 5th Michigan Cavalry was killed in action at Haw's Shop, Va. Pvt Ellsworth was with the dismounted battalion until June 6 when he returned to service.

Back