Casualty of Pickett's Charge Near Brian's House

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
brian combo.jpg

Nearly two weeks after Pickett's Charge, Mathew Brady took this photo of the Brian house (believing it was the Leister house, Meade's HQ) that included a body probably killed on July 3rd. No, not the very undead Brady assistant seen "portraying" a corpse, but the hollowed out carcass of a horse seen in the foreground. Brady, himself, wrote "Meade's Headquarters" on the back of the image and it is not known if he ever became aware of his error. The Brady assistant laying on the ground is the same man seen in many of Brady's series of Gettysburg photographs including two other images in which he "appears" to be a casualty of the battle. I don't believe the apple tree is a witness tree although it does have a similar appearance to the modern image-any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 143221

Nearly two weeks after Pickett's Charge, Mathew Brady took this photo of the Brian house (believing it was the Leister house, Meade's HQ) that included a body probably killed on July 3rd. No, not the very undead Brady assistant seen "portraying" a corpse, but the hollowed out carcass of a horse seen in the foreground. Brady, himself, wrote "Meade's Headquarters" on the back of the image and it is not known if he ever became aware of his error. The Brady assistant laying on the ground is the same man seen in many of Brady's series of Gettysburg photographs including two other images in which he "appears" to be a casualty of the battle. I don't believe the apple tree is a witness tree although it does have a similar appearance to the modern image-any opinions?
The tree may be a witness tree. Based on perspective, its trunk would be just off camera left in the "then" photo. Foliage from the apple tree may be overlapping the foliage of the tree behind the dead horse. Great pictures either way, GG.

Just noticed that they only stripped a couple boards off the barn but took alot of the siding off the house. Easier to get off i guess and better access maybe.

Back