Cast of women in Gods and Generals

JD Mayo

Retired User
What do all the women here on this forum think of the portrayals of the Women in this film? I like some of there dresses etc. I think Fanny Chamberlain best performance I think. Kali Rocha did a great job as Anna Jackson as well. Who where some of your favorite women characters in this film? They had more character rolls for women in this movie than they did for Gettysburg. What where your favorite scenes as well for the women in this film?
Anna.jpg
Fanny.jpg
Mrs Pendelton.jpg
Lydia Corbin.jpg
Booth.jpg
Screenshot_2020-11-13 Mia Dillon.png

The actresses did a good job, however I think they could have done bette in the costume departmentr, especially with the hair.... what a scandal wearing your hair down in public. Just like in many period movies and television shows, the costumes were close, yet let some fantasy creep in.

The actresses did a good job, however I think they could have done bette in the costume departmentr, especially with the hair.... what a scandal wearing your hair down in public. Just like in many period movies and television shows, the costumes were close, yet let some fantasy creep in.
Thank you- I was just coming here to throw that out. Between it being down and the “switches” not matching totally it’s a distraction to me.
The Bertha collars are a nice touch, the reusing of jewelry between scenes was too. I like the child’s gown but the buttons look awfully plastic-like. I think back to the Ma Ingall’s dress description that was kept in a box and worn for the dance after the sugaring off - and those buttons looked like blackberries to Laura. I’ve wondered for years what material would have been used for this buttons? I’m cool with shell, woven or thread buttons. My 1800’s clothing has closures but something seems off with the shiny red buttons on some level. ( being picky, I know.)
Momma would talk about “back in the day your hair was sugared and rolled on rag strips.” We never did the sugar water part, but every so often and just for fun she would snip and tear an old sheet and roll my hair in rags for “boing-boing” curls. Very much like the ones the little girl is wearing and like the style we had when we were party children for the Nutcracker.

What are you thoughts on the man made buttons- what would have been used? I think my mourning gown is within reach, I need to see. I recall hooks and loops on it.
Thoughts ?

Thank you- I was just coming here to throw that out. Between it being down and the “switches” not matching totally it’s a distraction to me.
The Bertha collars are a nice touch, the reusing of jewelry between scenes was too. I like the child’s gown but the buttons look awfully plastic-like. I think back to the Ma Ingall’s dress description that was kept in a box and worn for the dance after the sugaring off - and those buttons looked like blackberries to Laura. I’ve wondered for years what material would have been used for this buttons? I’m cool with shell, woven or thread buttons. My 1800’s clothing has closures but something seems off with the shiny red buttons on some level. ( being picky, I know.)
Momma would talk about “back in the day your hair was sugared and rolled on rag strips.” We never did the sugar water part, but every so often and just for fun she would snip and tear an old sheet and roll my hair in rags for “boing-boing” curls. Very much like the ones the little girl is wearing and like the style we had when we were party children for the Nutcracker.

What are you thoughts on the man made buttons- what would have been used? I think my mourning gown is within reach, I need to see. I recall hooks and loops on it.
Thoughts ?
There were a lot of period buttons...it would likely depend on class/wealth/social status. Also the garment in question, specifically where it would be worn on the body. (No sense using fancy buttons for your drawers or other underwear).

They actually DID have platickey rubber buttons, made by Goodyear (I believe the same company who eventually became famous for tires).

Fantasy's on Civil War films always happen even if they are independent like Gods and Generals was. I guess depends on all your budget is.

There were a lot of period buttons...it would likely depend on class/wealth/social status. Also the garment in question, specifically where it would be worn on the body. (No sense using fancy buttons for your drawers or other underwear).

They actually DID have platickey rubber buttons, made by Goodyear (I believe the same company who eventually became famous for tires).
Forgot about vegetable ivory- I pin my 1700’s clothing so buttons are fancy, indeed.
My petticoats, camisoles, and unmentionables have the small mother of pearl buttons as you mentioned above there wasn’t any need to use anything flashy there.
Will look into rubber buttons- thank you for the info!

For buttons check out the Button Baron's site https://buttonbaron.3dcartstores.com/ They specialize in period buttons both military and civilian. Can give you an idea on what was available.
Oh, goodness! That webbing is gorgeous- as are their buttons. Thank you for sharing that site. If anyone needs glass Czechoslovakian buttons let me know as I’ve amassed quite a collection of buttons both on and off cards along with beautiful beads. They came from a seller in Canada who supposedly got them from factories which didn’t get bombed during WWII.

Back