Casemate Museum at Fort Monroe (Hampton, Virginia)

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1557884444839.png

The Casemate Museum is housed in the casemates - fortified chambers within the walls - of Fort Monroe, the largest stone fort in the United States. The fort was built to protect the important navigation channel between the Chesapeake Bay and Hampton Roads known as "Hampton Roads." Construction began in 1819 and was complete in 1834. Throughout the Civil War, Fort Monroe remained in Union hands and it was an active U.S. Army post until decommissioned September 15, 2011. Operated by the Commonwealth of Virginia through the Fort Monroe Authority, the Casemate Museum, is open to the public.
1557884525989.png

Exhibits at the "Casemate Museum" chronicle over 400 years of history associated with the site. There's plenty of artillery.
1557884861732.png
1557884919618.png

1557885576160.png

I liked this 8" British siege mortar.
1557885075894.png

Unfortunately, its pretty dark in there so my picture didnt turn out very good. I can't remember what this inscription says? "Captured at Fort ____ May 27, 1813"
1557885184189.png

But my favorite artillery piece was this one. It was found buried, muzzle up, on the grounds of the fort. Its muzzle was covered with about 6 inches of dirt. No records have been found regarding this gun, so nobody really knows why it was buried there like that.
20190423_135852.jpg

There was an explosion, probably during a training exercise, and the breech exploded on the cannon. Amazingly, a round still remains inside the muzzle of the gun. Typically, an explosion will force the round out, so its possible that this gun was loaded with the wrong ammunition. Another possibility is that the round was put in after the gun was recovered for display purposes. Either way its a fascinating mystery.
20190423_135931.jpg

Edgar Allan Poe spent a few months at Fort Monroe in 1828/1829 - December 15, 1828 to April 14, 1829 to be exact.
1557885803170.png

He was enlisted May 26, 1827 and was discharged April 14, 1829, by furnishing a substitute. Samuel Graves, the substitute, never received the promised payment from Poe.
1557885679145.png

ADMISSION & HOURS OF OPERATION:
Admission is free and the facility is wheelchair accessible.
Open Monday-Sunday 10:30am – 4:30pm Memorial Day to Labor Day; Tuesday-Sunday the remainder of the year.
Closed Easter, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day.
For more information about Fort Monroe, parking, accessing the Fort, and getting around the area, see this previous thread:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/fort-monroe-old-point-comfort-lighthouse-and-fort-wool-hampton-virginia.157713

1557889306905.png

From 1877 to 1889, Major General Emory Upton, was assigned to the artillery school at Fort Monroe. He was appointed superintendent of theoretical instruction at the "Artillery School of Practice" where he introduced combined arms tactics and theory‐based case studies. Soon after leaving Fort Monroe, Upton committed suicide by shooting himself in the head. He was 41 years old. But his contributions to Fort Monroe and US Army Artillery were important ones; his success proved that Fort Monroe was a valuable place for an artillery school. The Upton exhibit was added in 2011 and the mannequin was carefully selected - its a good representation, I think.
1557888693602.png

View attachment 307375
From 1877 to 1889, Major General Emory Upton, was assigned to the artillery school at Fort Monroe. He was appointed superintendent of theoretical instruction at the "Artillery School of Practice" where he introduced combined arms tactics and theory‐based case studies. Soon after leaving Fort Monroe, Upton committed suicide by shooting himself in the head. He was 41 years old. But his contributions to Fort Monroe and US Army Artillery were important ones; his success proved that Fort Monroe was a valuable place for an artillery school.

Wow. Y'all had a great trip. Thanks for the info on Gen. Upton. I knew nothing about his career post-Spotsylvania Court House.

V
View attachment 307357
The Casemate Museum is housed in the casemates - fortified chambers within the walls - of Fort Monroe, the largest stone fort in the United States. The fort was built to protect the important navigation channel between the Chesapeake Bay and Hampton Roads known as "Hampton Roads." Construction began in 1819 and was complete in 1834. Throughout the Civil War, Fort Monroe remained in Union hands and it was an active U.S. Army post until decommissioned September 15, 2011. Operated by the Commonwealth of Virginia through the Fort Monroe Authority, the Casemate Museum, is open to the public.
View attachment 307359
Exhibits at the "Casemate Museum" chronicle over 400 years of history associated with the site. There's plenty of artillery.
View attachment 307360View attachment 307361
View attachment 307364

I liked this 8" British siege mortar.
View attachment 307362
Unfortunately, its pretty dark in there so my picture didnt turn out very good. I can't remember what this inscription says? "Captured at Fort ____ May 27, 1813"
View attachment 307363
But my favorite artillery piece was this one. It was found buried, muzzle up, on the grounds of the fort. Its muzzle was covered with about 6 inches of dirt. No records have been found regarding this gun, so nobody really knows why it was buried there like that.
View attachment 307384
There was an explosion, probably during a training exercise, and the breech exploded on the cannon. Amazingly, a round still remains inside the muzzle of the gun. Typically, an explosion will force the round out, so its possible that this gun was loaded with the wrong ammunition. Another possibility is that the round was put in after the gun was recovered for display purposes. Either way its a fascinating mystery.
View attachment 307385
Edgar Allan Poe spent a few months at Fort Monroe in 1828/1829 - December 15, 1828 to April 14, 1829 to be exact.
View attachment 307366
He was enlisted May 26, 1827 and was discharged April 14, 1829, by furnishing a substitute. Samuel Graves, the substitute, never received the promised payment from Poe.
View attachment 307365
ADMISSION & HOURS OF OPERATION:
Admission is free and the facility is wheelchair accessible.
Open Monday-Sunday 10:30am – 4:30pm Memorial Day to Labor Day; Tuesday-Sunday the remainder of the year.
Closed Easter, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day.
For more information about Fort Monroe, parking, accessing the Fort, and getting around the area, see this previous thread:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/fort-monroe-old-point-comfort-lighthouse-and-fort-wool-hampton-virginia.157713
Very interesting! It seems poor Poe never had any money during his lifetime, and even when he was young, he was having the same problems. Great pictures, thanks for posting.

Back