What is this? Carvings on stock

Jack7171

Corporal
Hi, new member here,,,I recently picked up this 1842 Springfield from the hills of Pennsylvania,,,no story, no info,,,but it has these carvings in the stock. Has anyone ever seen them anywhere before? Looks like an anchor with snake,, and star,,, Any help would be much appreciated,,,,and maybe it's nothing at all! Thx, jack
20210228_211620.jpg

20210228_211310.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, new member here,,,I recently picked up this 1842 Springfield from the hills of Pennsylvania,,,no story, no info,,,but it has these carvings in the stock. Has anyone ever seen them anywhere before? Looks like an anchor with snake,, and star,,, Any help would be much appreciated,,,,and maybe it's nothing at all! Thx, jackView attachment 392755

View attachment 392754
Fouled anchor and an 8th Corps symbol.......

I'm sure there's a cool story behind the carvings unfortunately will probably never be told but sure makes for a cool piece, congrats.
Thx,, I know,,I'm always leery about stories anyway,, never knowing if they are true,, or jazzed up to hike up the price,,and the best advice I've gotten as a new collector, was "unless it can proved,,buy the item, not the story". Sad part is,,these pieces, no matter how insignificant, all play a part in somebodies story,,,that we'll probably never get to hear.

Back