1863: Elected Governor of Tennessee but not allowed to take office​
1863 – 1882: Law Professor at Cumberland University​

Died: October 2, 1882

Place of Death: Lebanon, Tennessee

Age at time of Death: 82 years old

Burial Place: Cedar Grove Cemetery, Lebanon, Tennessee

IMG_8724.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good story was how as a Congressman he sent the first telegraph between Washington city and Baltimore with the message "President Tyler is dead."

Also he was a member of Forrest' staff late in the war.

He was elected to succeed the self-exiled Gov. Isham G. Harris. Harris continued to exercise limited powers when it was discovered that Caruthers couldn't be inaugurated. In the mean time Tennessee was under the rule of military governor Andrew Johnson.

Last edited:
He could not be inaugurated as Governor because Tennessee law required taking the oath of office before the General Assembly. The US controlled that part of Tennessee and the Assembly could not convene.

He could not be inaugurated as Governor because Tennessee law required taking the oath of office before the General Assembly. The US controlled that part of Tennessee and the Assembly could not convene.

That's how he wound up on Forrest staff...

He and Harris had joined with Hood's army with the intent of establishing a civil government for Tennessee if it was successful at Nashville. It was not but Caruthers and Harris continued with Forrest to Mississippi and served as staff officers. Harris stayed through the surrender at Gainsville and then fled to Mexico but I believe that Caruthers returned to Tennessee sometime in March 1865.

That's how he wound up on Forrest staff...

He and Harris had joined with Hood's army with the intent of establishing a civil government for Tennessee if it was successful at Nashville. It was not but Caruthers and Harris continued with Forrest to Mississippi and served as staff officers. Harris stayed through the surrender at Gainsville and then fled to Mexico but I believe that Caruthers returned to Tennessee sometime in March 1865.
I'm not doubting your word, and maybe I just might possibly overlooked it but I can't find where either of these gentlemen served on Forrest's staff. Harris served on quite a few staffs from what I've read in several biographys.The staffs included A.S.Johnson's, J. E. Johnston's , Beauregard's, Bragg's, and Hood's. And all of these were volunteer positions. On Caruthers I can find no staff positions but as I previously stated I may have possibly overlooked it.

I'm not doubting your word, and maybe I just might possibly overlooked it but I can't find where either of these gentlemen served on Forrest's staff. Harris served on quite a few staffs from what I've read in several biographys.The staffs included A.S.Johnson's, J. E. Johnston's , Beauregard's, Bragg's, and Hood's. And all of these were volunteer positions. On Caruthers I can find no staff positions but as I previously stated I may have possibly overlooked it.

This is an excerpt from a report in The War of the Rebellion: Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series II - Volume VIII, page 325. It's from Colonel J G Parkhurst, US to General W. D. Whipple US regarding a meeting at Rienzi MS with Forrest to discuss a prisoner exchange.

"At about 9 o'clock on the evening of the 23d I met General Forrest at the house of Mr. Rowland. He was accompanied by Major Anderson and Judge Caruthers of his staff."

This occurred just two months after the retreat from Nashville where both the Judge (new Governor) and the ex-Governor had been with Hood. The Army of Tennessee had been routed east and both men were with Forrest.

Captain Lewis Hosea US of General J H Wison's staff was also present at this negotiation and was apparently a fanboy for Forrest. He recorded his interactions with Caruthers in his diary. After the meeting he was inspired to telegraph Caruthers a message in Latin from Virgil - "Haec olim meminisse juvabit, tetigisse dextrano tyranni" -- It will rejoice me hereafter to remember that I have touched the right hand of your leader.

In "Isham G Harris of Tennessee: Confederate Governor and United States Senator" by Sam Davis Elliot; Harris is described at assisting with staff duties for several generals. He was with Forrest intermittently and ended the war with his command. and then fled to Mexico.

He carried a detailed dispatch to Polk in Feb '64 on Forrest behalf and was forced to man a handcar to get the message to Polk in Georgia. Forrest was quoted in an Atlanta paper saying "Harris is a fighting governor. Whilst some Governors stay home to quarrel with Jeff Davis, our Governor has been with me to fight Yankees!"

Both men acted as staff volunteers but it was not an official position.

Back