Cartridge Box Strap & Wood buttons

W. Nielsen

Cadet
Greetings everyone. I am a reenactor from Virginia portraying a mid-late war ANV soldier (59th VA Inf) and today I found a video where two young men discussed their 1864 ANV impressions. I had a few questions about some of the things they said, I'm not doubting their authenticity, they seem to be very well researched, just curious.

1. At 3:16 into the video the one man mentions his Richmond Depot #2 shell jacket has wooden buttons, and I had never heard of this before. How common was this? Also notably his jacket lacks belt loops but retains the epaulettes. The other young man has wooden buttons on what appears to a Richmond Depot #2 also.
2. It's a little hard to tell but both of them seem to be lacking cartridge box straps. I had heard of this before but once again I ask; how common was this? They both have roller buckle belts.
3. Slightly unrelated to the video but how thick are belts with roller buckles? Are they thinner than the belts with Georgia frames, or oval plates?

Thank you kindly.

Video in question (1864 Confederate Impression uploaded by Rory H.)

Greetings everyone. I am a reenactor from Virginia portraying a mid-late war ANV soldier (59th VA Inf) and today I found a video where two young men discussed their 1864 ANV impressions. I had a few questions about some of the things they said, I'm not doubting their authenticity, they seem to be very well researched, just curious.

1. At 3:16 into the video the one man mentions his Richmond Depot #2 shell jacket has wooden buttons, and I had never heard of this before. How common was this? Also notably his jacket lacks belt loops but retains the epaulettes. The other young man has wooden buttons on what appears to a Richmond Depot #2 also.
2. It's a little hard to tell but both of them seem to be lacking cartridge box straps. I had heard of this before but once again I ask; how common was this? They both have roller buckle belts.
3. Slightly unrelated to the video but how thick are belts with roller buckles? Are they thinner than the belts with Georgia frames, or oval plates?

Thank you kindly.

Video in question (1864 Confederate Impression uploaded by Rory H.)
I haven't had a chance to check out the video but yes wood buttons were common the last year of the war. The Richmond Depot had a contract with Gibson to produce wood buttons. Here is a late war depot jacket with Gibson buttons.
rd2.jpg

As far as the cartridge box straps go some of it was personal preference and sometimes they broke and couldn't be replaced and as things got tight just didn't get them. They also produced straps and waist belts out of oilclothe. I personally like using a strap but some guys like it on their belt. Some of the CS produced boxes only have loops for a strap and I've seen a couple field alterations to cut slits in the back of the box to run a waist belt through.

Thank you very much Captain Drew, I was wondering about the cartridge box strap especially because it looks I will have a roller buckle belt but not a strap for my box by the time Gettysburg comes around. Over this year and the next I'm trying to greatly improve my impression so I'm taking the time to get quality gear, so I've been trying to read and watch as much as I can. Thank you again for answering my questions.

Thank you very much Captain Drew, I was wondering about the cartridge box strap especially because it looks I will have a roller buckle belt but not a strap for my box by the time Gettysburg comes around. Over this year and the next I'm trying to greatly improve my impression so I'm taking the time to get quality gear, so I've been trying to read and watch as much as I can. Thank you again for answering my questions.
My pleasure, it's perfectly legit to wear your box on the belt. It's more comfortable to me to use a strap but that's up to you. If you dive into some of those links you're questions will be answered in detail. See you at Gettysburg!

My pleasure, it's perfectly legit to wear your box on the belt. It's more comfortable to me to use a strap but that's up to you. If you dive into some of those links you're questions will be answered in detail. See you at Gettysburg!

What regiment/company will you be with at Gettysburg?

Back