Cartridge and cap boxes designs?

search up proper English accouterments no one makes accurate ones anymore if they do they are rare to find. and i know for sure their are people out their who are wiling to buy

Hello to all, this is my first post here.
I ended up on this forum looking for measurements for cartridge boxes. I am already a fairly accomplished leather worker, although my area of expertise is holsters from the first half of the 20th century.
It is sort of disappointing when the originator of this thread asked for designs, and was instead advised on where to buy finished goods.

I am interested in making some good reproductions of the civil war cartridge box as well as the percussion cap box for both sides. Can anyone suggest where i can find the designs, plans and deminsions of them.

I asked the same question yesterday in another thread but I was interested in dimensions of cartridge boxes for pistols. I'm making a 1/6 scale reproduction for my diorama and wanted to get some ideas of sizes and shapes. I just don't see many photos of Officers carrying ammo for their pistols.

The issue I see in trying to reproduce accurately a leather military item from the 19th century is that the market is limited. Let's face it, of the people out there willing to purchase a cart/cap box, how many are really willing to pay what it's going to take to make a truly authentic copy of an original? Not many. So your market is limited to the hyperauthentic campaigner types and in the reenacting/living history world, there aren't many of them.

Your best bet if you're serious, buy an original and a copy of that original for comparison. Get a copy of the ordnance standards for acceptance of a finished product of the day. Reverse engineer from there. The lasts and materials commonly in use then are going to be difficult to source or recreate. Good luck, it's going to be loads of fun on the journey.

I ended up on this forum looking for measurements for cartridge boxes. I am already a fairly accomplished leather worker, although my area of expertise is holsters from the first half of the 20th century.
It is sort of disappointing when the originator of this thread asked for designs, and was instead advised on where to buy finished goods.
May be disappointing, but those that produce the boxes do not make their plans/schematics available, they purchase originals and made their own. I am not aware of any existing plans for purchase. Just giving someone measurements is a fools errand, there is quite a bit to it and to do it correctly an original should be used. The next issue would be what pattern box are you looking for .58, .69 M1839, M1857, M1861, M1864 all had various iterations. Paul Johnson’s book as previously mentioned would be a great place to start, he does have decent drawings, but one would still need to have a pattern piece. Not trying to be difficult, just realistic.

Not trying to be difficult, just realistic.
[/QUOTE

Fair enough. I no longer participate in reenactments or much living history. When I was a lot younger, I started as a mid 19th century sailor/ crew member aboard historical ships. Later I did WW1 and WW2 impressions.
I find I am doing more black powder shooting, and I just cannot keep myself from worrying about the details, even though there is no real need to do an authentic impression. I spend part of the year in the Appalachians, and part in the Rockies. I carry a small bore long rifle in the east, and a big buffalo gun out west. One thing that would tie both together nicely is a cartridge box, a largish one, to replace my crappy possibles bag. I have sort of been thinking of an 1870s/80s impression, using some of what would have been repurposed wartime kit.
So I don't know much about the various options for boxes. I figured I would see one that works as far as shape and size. But if I am going to make one, The details have to be right. I certainly have the skill and materials already on hand, and plenty of experience replicating leather gear from original examples. It seems kind of silly to have to buy and copy an original example, when CW reenacting is such a popular activity.
I also have to assume that the various original manufacturers worked from a set of contracted requirements and standards, which no doubt were written down somewhere. When we needed to produce some parts for a Vietnam-era ejection seat, I was able to find the original dimensions and specifications for the needed parts in the national archives. But that is a time consuming and expensive process, and not really appropriate for someone who just wants the right bag to carry when alone in the mountains, or perhaps attend a rendezvous.
I could buy a replica box easily enough. But I would expect to be mocked mercilessly by those who know me, most of whom wear leather goods from my shop daily.

Buy a copy of the old "Confederate Sketchbook." There is a pattern and dimensions for a cartridge box (which may have originally been made of painted canvas, IIRC) and a cap box with a lead finial. It may give you the dimensions you're looking for.

If you are looking to make just one box, not sure where to send you, I looked in Paul Johnson's book again and he has dimensions, but there are quite a few different parts that are not called out. Send me your email under an IM and I'll see what I can do when I am back home.

If you are looking to make just one box, not sure where to send you, I looked in Paul Johnson's book again and he has dimensions, but there are quite a few different parts that are not called out. Send me your email under an IM and I'll see what I can do when I am back home.
Pm sent. On most leather goods, once basic dimensions and the method of assembly are worked out, usually one can figure out the rest with reasonable accuracy, especially of one is familiar with standard techniques and practices of craftsmen in the era under discussion. Or that has been my experience.

Buy a copy of the old "Confederate Sketchbook." There is a pattern and dimensions for a cartridge box (which may have originally been made of painted canvas, IIRC) and a cap box with a lead finial. It may give you the dimensions you're looking for.
ordered.

Gentelmen. Hope not out of line to as ? Looking for the copy of Company of Military Historian Journals that showed all the types of cavalry cartridge boxes .All so looking for information on the Confederate ones. Hope not looking like trying to hi jack trend.Thank You,Conley

Welcome, enjoy

I have multiple article on Confederate cartridge boxes in various Company of Military Historian Journals. Are you interest in a particular cartridge box?

A-0671 Russ A. Pritchard Unique Confederate Cartridge Box 14 3 95 Author
A-0940 Robert L. Miller Confederate Cartridge Box for Austrian Arms 19 3 92 Author
A-1629 Stephen E. Osman A Tarred Canvas Confederate Cartridge Box 32 2 81 Author
Major Bill ,Hope not out of line to ask ? I can use this information and more. Looking to make a Living History display .Thank You,CONLEY

Back