Carpet Baggers, Scallywags, and Redeemers

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
Carpet Bagger: A person from the north who moved south to aid the Freedmen, mostly missionaries, teachers, and abolitionists. Some politicians who worked to organize the newly freed people.

Scallywag: A native southerner who recognized the futility and evil that the white supremacist confederacy represented and worked for a better future for a new south.

Redeemers: A racist who couldn’t accept the loss in trial by combat and worked with domestic terrorist organizations like the KKK and the Red Shirts to use violence to re institutionalize white supremacy in the south.

Discuss

Sgt. Tyree

Private
I have a book on the shelf titled “Wade Hampton: Confederate Warrior to Southern Redeemer.” I confess I haven’t read it yet (too many books, too little time). I bought it because I admire Hampton as a horseman, hunter, and cavalry commander without sympathizing with his cause.

Was Hampton a “Redeemer” by the definition put forth here?

jackt62

Captain
In a broader sense, I believe the "Redeemers" was a term to describe any southerner who advocated and sought the ascendency of Democratic rule in the formerly seceded states. That might have run the gamut from working within the legitimate political system to those promoting domestic terror organizations to achieve that goal.

atlantis

Sergeant Major
Unfortunately while many of the northerners had good intentions they none the less played right into the hands of those who had ill will toward the freedmen. Giving political equality so quickly to the freedmen was a mistake that unleashed a torrent of violence against the freedmen. To think the former slave owners would just pivot and accept the freedmen as political equals was the epitome of foolishness.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
I have a book on the shelf titled “Wade Hampton: Confederate Warrior to Southern Redeemer.” I confess I haven’t read it yet (too many books, too little time). I bought it because I admire Hampton as a horseman, hunter, and cavalry commander without sympathizing with his cause.

Was Hampton a “Redeemer” by the definition put forth here?
Not sure, I know that he enjoyed the support of the “red shirts” which were little more than a KKK like white supremacist organization- using violence to not let black people vote.

Hampton was definitely a redeemer. He was also an excellent horseman and cavalry commander. We shouldn’t confuse the two.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
Red Shirts were citizens who wanted free and fair elections with qualified voters. The carpetbaggers were outside interlopers who wanted to sway elections with unqualified voters.
Red Shirts did not believe that any freed slave was a qualified voter. Sounds like a great group of guys🤔🤔

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
Unfortunately while many of the northerners had good intentions they none the less played right into the hands of those who had ill will toward the freedmen. Giving political equality so quickly to the freedmen was a mistake that unleashed a torrent of violence against the freedmen. To think the former slave owners would just pivot and accept the freedmen as political equals was the epitome of foolishness.
To think that black people could have some agency in their future... how foolish.

Who was responsible for that “torrent of violence” against the freedmen? Was it carpetbaggers? Was it the freedmen themselves? Who perpetrated that violence?

Last edited:

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
In a broader sense, I believe the "Redeemers" was a term to describe any southerner who advocated and sought the ascendency of Democratic rule in the formerly seceded states. That might have run the gamut from working within the legitimate political system to those promoting domestic terror organizations to achieve that goal.
I think that at this time, those two things went hand in hand.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
Sounds as if you're trying to turn the tables on some of the traditional rhetorical labels from the reconstruction era!

Roy B.
Perhaps. I think it may be useful to view these terms from a non Lost Cause white centric viewpoint. If only for funsies. If we’re ever to have an accurate idea of history don’t we also have to view it from the perspective of those dreaded carpetbaggers and scallywags? Not to mention the freedmen? I know it will be mightily uncomfortable for some to try and see things from someone else’s eyes (especially if they happen to be black eyes or southern unionists eyes) but it’s still a good exercise.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
So it's the Northners fault for African Americans to be denied the right to vote?
Leftyhunter