Captivating read about the mule team's charge on the 1st day

Interesting story, and a good read!

A mildly similar thing happened on the second day at the peach orchard. Clark's Battery had used so many rounds that a resupply was required, a mule wagon was sent up from the rear loaded with crates of shells, and these "hundred pound" crates were said to have been tossed off the back of the wagon while it was run up to the battery, turned, and run back to the rear, all without stopping, for they feared that if they had stopped they may not have gotten the mules started again.

Here is a slightly different account than the one I remember, written my Michael Hanifen:

History of Battery B said:
(Chapter 4, The Gettysburg Campaign, Page 74)

Our ammunition was running very low. Orderly Sergeant Galbraith was sent to the rear after John Cronk, whose six-mule team was loaded with extra ammunition. About 6 o'clock Cronk came up on a dead run. Under orders, we were ready to jump into his wagon and unload the boxes of ammunition. How he sung oaths to those mules to keep them quiet under that fire, where a hundred shells were exploding every minute, and the crackle of his whip was like a sharp skirmish fire! He was a hero. A shot in that load would have sent Cronk, Banks, Bush, Buffum and a few others where peace forever holds her court.

Than you sir. Great account. I am sure Mr Cronk was cracking his " black snake" and "ticklin" those mules ears with it. Keeping them focused under those circumstances and getting the mission accomplished would have required great skill. Being a driver myself I have the utmost respect for these teamsters. What I wouldnt give to have a chat with them.

Back