1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Captain Joseph Kelly -"Missouri's Confederate Irish Brigade"

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by CSA Today, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Pat Young

Pat Young Colonel Forum Host

The term Irish Brigade was used quite a bit in the early months of the war. It did not refer to the now famous II Corps Brigade but to a Brigade in the French army. An officer might refer to any size unit as an Irish Brigade even if he never intended to raise multiple units.

James N. and novushomus like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

I guess it was something akin to the term legion which usually indicated a mixed force of infantry, cavalry, and even artillery, as in Phillips', Cobb's, Hampton, etc. Sometimes these really included multiple branches-of-service, as in the Hampton Legion, but I think many of them were similarly "inspired" by the romantic notions of the Roman Empire and especially the exploits of Caesar's famous Tenth Legion. In fact one Union infantry regiment (from New York, I believe, but forget the actual regimental number) adopted the name Tenth Legion and for insignia chose a large Roman numeral X which was sewn to the breast of their uniforms on a cloth patch.

4. novushomus

novushomus Corporal

Kelly seems to have tagged along with Parsons when Bragg ordered Parsons and the Missouri State Guard back to Arkansas after the fall of Corinth. Parsons was commissioned a Confederate brigadier on November 5, 1862 so it is likely that Kelly was commissioned shortly thereafter.

AUG351 likes this.
  5. AUG351

AUG351 Captain Forum Host

Yeah, I got that down. Its the period from early to mid 1862 that has me stumped. I can't figure out where Kelly was from Pea Ridge through to when the Army of the West crossed the Mississippi and arrived in Corinth in April, then withdrew from Corinth and was encamped around Tupelo that summer.

6. novushomus

novushomus Corporal

Parsons's command of the Missouri State Guard, the Sixth Division, was commanded by Maj. D, Herndon Lindsay at Pea Ridge (in Little's Confederate brigade) with about 120 men. Kelly normally commanded the infantry detachment in the Sixth Division, Parsons was absent in Richmond lobbying for Missouri State Guard officers to keep their ranks when they accepted Confederate commissions. Kelly may have accompanied Parsons to Richmond, reappearing on April 9, 1862 when Parsons (now commanding the Missouri State Guard troops) has him resume command of the Sixth Division.

00827.tif100.gif

James N. and AUG351 like this.
  7. novushomus

novushomus Corporal

The O.R. has a Kelly (but whether it is Joseph or Ephraim I'm not sure) with Brig. Gen. Jeff Thompson at New Madrid in December of 1861.

00716.tif100.gif

AUG351 likes this.
  8. novushomus

novushomus Corporal

If this is Joseph Kelly, it seems that he left the Sixth Division of the Missouri State Guard and was with Thompson's State Guard forces at New Madrid. Thompson's force was evacuated to Memphis and so Kelly may have been met the vanguard of Van Dorn's army there. I don't think this is likely, unless he met Parsons there and then traveled to Des Arc to rejoin the Sixth Division and then marched back to Memphis.

AUG351 likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)