Captain Henry Dickerson of Dinwiddie C0. VA.

tesoronut

Cadet
My great Grandfather was Lt. Patrick Henry Fitzgerald, of Co. E, 3rd Va. Cavalry(I think). I have ancestoral ties to a Capt. Henry Dickerson of Dinwiddie(or Nottoway) County, Va. I would like to find out a little more about the Capt. I am enjoying this site. Thanks for any replies!

Captain Henry Dickerson of Dinwiddie Co., VA

The Dickerson Family Reunion will be held on Saturday Oct. 17, 2009 at Butterwood United Methodist Church. The church is located in Dinwiddie Co., VA. The Capt. help revived the church after the Civil War. There will be information given at the reunion on Capt Dickerson and the family.

Capt Dickerson put together a company on 4 July 1860. It was known as Capt. Henry D. Dickerson Company (Old Dominion Riflemen). This Company joined Major Edgar B Montague's Battalion of Virginia Infantry. This Battalion had only three Companies; A - Halifax Light Infantry, B - Chatham Grays and C - Old Dominion Riflemen and was accepted into Confederate service on 1 July 1861. The Battalion was assigned temporarily to the 32nd Virginia Infantry and saw action at Big Bethel Church during the Peninsula fighting during June 1861, this was possibly the first land battle of the Civil War. During Nov. 1861 the Battalion was reassigned to the 53rd Virginia Volunteer Infantry per Special Order #214 from the A&IGO. The 53rd consolidated Fort Grafton in York County, VA then moved to Kings Mill Wharf just below Jamestown, VA. They then moved to Sandy Cross, Gates County, NC by rail in April 1862. In May 5 1862 it was in Suffolk County, VA and only 35 miles from the Battle of Williamsburg. The 53rd held elections on May 5th and at this time Capt. Henry D. Dickerson and others lost the election. It is believed that Capt. dickerson retired at this time. Although there was a Henry D Dickerson who joined the 18th VA. Infantry but this person was believe to be a sub. We know that Capt. Dickerson could read and write yet the Dickerson who joined the 18th could only make his mark.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 2 [S# 2] -- CHAPTER IX.
Engagement at Big Bethel, or Bethel Church, Va.
No. 11. -- Report of Maj. E. B. Montague, commanding Virginia Battalion.
On the morning of the 10th of June my command reported to Colonel Magruder at Bethel Church, according to orders. At ---- in the morning information was received that the enemy in force were advancing upon us. Colonel Magruder immediately ordered me to throw up a redoubt fronting toward a ravine, over which it was supposed the enemy might attempt to turn our right flank. My men worked well, and had nearly finished the redoubt when the first gun from our batteries was fired, which took place at -- o'clock a.m. The enemy returned the fire with spirit, and the shell and shot flew thick and fast about my command, who were in a peculiarly exposed condition, my redoubt flanking towards and being nearly perpendicular to the points of attack. Fortunately for my command, however, the major part of the enemy's shot had sufficient elevation to pass over our heads, though many shell and solid shot fell within a few feet of our redoubt. One ball passed under my horse between his fore and hind feet, several others passed within a few feet of his head, and a few buried themselves in our breastwork. Had the enemy's guns been slightly depressed he must have raked my whole line with his enfilading fire. A very short time after the firing commenced I received an order to direct one of my companies, the Chatham Grays, under the command of Captain Werth, to defend a ford one mile below the bridge against the first battalion of the New York Zouave Regiment, and I saw no more of the company until after the fight.

About -- minutes after the fight, and after Lieutenant-Colonel Stuart had been compelled to fall back across the ravine and occupy any redoubt, Colonel Magruder ordered me to take any command about one and a quarter miles around to aid the Wythe Rifles, under the command of Lieutenant Chisman, in guarding a marsh, where he thought the enemy were attempting to turn our left flank. I immediately carried my command around to the point indicated at the double quick, joined the rifles, and deployed my whole command as skirmishers over a line of a quarter of a mile under cover of a dense foliage. We remained in this position until late in the evening, when we were ordered back by Colonel Magruder to the church. The enemy did not attempt to cross our line, and we remained quiet and inactive during the remainder of the fight.

We had no killed or wounded. Every man in my whole command, both officers and men, was perfectly cool, calm, and collected during the whole time which we were exposed to the enfilading fire from the enemy's battery and to diagonal fire of musketry from his left flank. I have no hesitancy in expressing my gratification at the manner in which my command, the Halifax Light Infantry, Captain Grammer; the Chatham Grays, Captain Werth; and the Old Dominion Rifles, Captain Dickerson: as well its the detachment of the North Carolina regiment, under my command, conducted themselves during the whole engagement.
Respectfully reported.
E. B. MONTAGUE,
Major, Commanding Virginia Battalion.
Col. J. B. MAGRUDER,
Commanding Division.
------------------------------------------------------------
Unable to find any more on your specific Captain Dickerson.

M. E. Wolf

Back