Captain George Wooding, Danville Artillery, October 12, 1862

White Flint Bill

Oct 9, 2017
Southern Virginia
I have been occasionally posting the text of letters from Capt. George W. Wooding of the Danville Artillery, for the benefit of any interested. The following is a letter he wrote his brother Thomas G. Wooding. Thomas served as a Sergeant in Company C of the 5th Virginia Cavalry and at the time of the letter was in Danville recovering from a head wound he had received in August. This was the penultimate letter from Captain Wooding before he was mortally wounded at the Battle of Fredericksburg.

Camp Near Bunker Hill, Oct. 12, 1862

Dear Tom:

I received some days ago your letter sent by Private Cook of my Battery. I was glad to hear that your wound was healing up and your health being restored. Our army has been lying quietly here for two weeks and still we see no signs of a move, but orders generally come so suddenly, and so little notice of preparations is needed, that we may again be on the march, or on the battlefield any day or any hour.

The enemy on the other hand seems to be resting as quietly, on the other side of the river. But as in our case, there is no telling how long this inactivity will last. They as well as ourselves may advance or retreat any day. I do not however think that they can advance very far. This fall I believe their army is greatly cut to pieces and disorganized in consequence of which they must wait for recruits. Our army has greatly recruited since the last battles.

I wrote to Pa by Mr. Shelton some days ago. I suppose he has gotten home ere this. Very probably too Lieutenants Adams and Dickenson, formerly of my Battery, have reached Danville ere this. They were relieved from duty here and ordered to report to the Adjutant General in Richmond. Major Shumaker, for some alleged offense, has been sent to Richmond. He left here yesterday. The circumstances of the case as I understood them are simply these. Col. Crutchfield, Chief of Artillery for General Jackson's Corps, went home on sick leave. After his departure Gen. Jackson appointed a Captain (who was a member of his staff) as acting Chief of Artillery in Crutchfield's place and Shumaker refused to obey this Captain's orders, for which offense the Captain reported him to Gen. Jackson and he to Gen. Lee; when Lee removed him from his position and ordered him to report in Richmond. These are the facts as I obtained them from one of General Jackson's aides. I do not know what further disposition will be made of the case. It is certainly a plain insultation upon the major's merits and qualifications to have a Captain this summarily placed over him. Most officers would in self-respect have resigned on the spot. I only hope the Secy of War will not send him again to this military department.

I have not seen Harry (his brother, serving in Co. C 5th Va. Cav) in some weeks. His regiment must be some distance in our advance, or else actively engaged in scouting, etc. I saw one of the Beavers a short time ago with a lot of sore back horses going to the rear. He told me that Harry and the company were generally well.

There is nothing of any note to write you. I am as well as usual. Remember me to all the family and write soon. Direct to Winchester, Jackson's Corps, 1st Div Rear, 3rd Brigade.

Very truly yours... Geo W. Wooding

Similar threads