Captain George Cuthbert Palmetto State Guard

Martini-Henry

First Sergeant
Hi,
I'm looking for some information on the above who I strongly believe to be a distant ancestor. My family history tells me that the Cuthbert's moved to North Carolina in the 18th Century. I am descended from the Cuthbert's of Castlehill in Inverness & I believe there is an old Plantation House in North Carolina that is named Castlehill. Any information or help, or even if a photograph could be posted up, would be deeply appreciated.

Regards

I was taking a break at work and I saw your request. Captain George Cuthbert enlisted in
the Palmetto State Guards of the 2nd South Carolina Infantry in May 1861. He served from
May 1861 until May 1863 when he was mortally wounded at Chancellorsville on May 3
while commanding his company. I'm sorry I have no photo of your ancestor to share.

I have family ties to the Glenns of Stirlingshire in your home country. In my signature,
James Peyton Glenn, a captain in the 18th Virginia Infantry is a descendant of that family.

Last edited:
That is a great help. Many,many,thanks. As for Stirlingshire it is one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland. I go there often.

Sorry, don't have anything on Capt. Cuthbert. Though note that there were multiple militia units and/or companies with the name Plametto Guard(s), but I believe the one in question is the famous Palmetto Guard that was known for firing the first shots at Fort Sumter and later occupied it for some time. They were a pretty well-known prewar militia unit from Charleston and later mustered into service as Company I of the 2nd South Carolina Infantry, which served in Kershaw's SC Brigade throughout the war.

Sorry, don't have anything on Capt. Cuthbert. Though note that there were multiple militia units and/or companies with the name Plametto Guard(s), but I believe the one in question is the famous Palmetto Guard that was known for firing the first shots at Fort Sumter and later occupied it for some time. They were a pretty well-known prewar militia unit from Charleston and later mustered into service as Company I of the 2nd South Carolina Infantry, which served in Kershaw's SC Brigade throughout the war.

You've got the right unit there. I looked up George Cuthbert's service records on Fold 3. He
joined after Fort Sumter but that unit was recruited in the Charleston area so it seems to be
logical that the Palmetto Guards were in existence before the first shots of the Civil War were
fired.

To be more specific, Captain Cuthbert was mortally wounded when Kershaw's brigade
rushed forward to contain the Union advance around Salem Church and Marye's Heights.

Last edited:
Reactions: AUG
You've got the right unit there. I looked up George Cuthbert's service records on Fold 3. He
joined after Fort Sumter but that unit was recruited in the Charleston area so it seems to be
logical that the Palmetto Guards were in existence before the first shots of the Civil War were
fired.

To be more specific, Captain Cuthbert was mortally wounded when Kershaw's brigade
rushed forward to contain the Union advance around Salem Church and Marye's Heights.
I believe he was in or commanded the Palmetto Guard prior to that, but the company didn't muster into Confederate service until after Fort Sumter.

Found this article on Kershaw's Brigade at Chancellorsville, which details Cuthbert's mortal wounding:
https://ehistory.osu.edu/exhibitions/Regimental/south_carolina/confederate/KershawsBrigade/cville

"Early on the morning of May 3rd "a similar force" was sent back out on the skirmish line, this timeunder the command of Captain George Cuthbert of the 2nd South Carolina. 'With his accustomed etuosity" Cuthbert pushed the Federals up a ridge, possibly the finger of land of the Ashley Tract between the two private owned tracts along the Plank Road. Suddenly, a bullet tore into Cuthbert's ribs, perforating his lungs and exiting just under his shoulder blade. Major Franklin Gaillard of the 2nd South Carolina hurried forward to take command of the skirmishers. Cuthbert remained calm and gave Gaillard a clear and concise statement of the situation. Cuthbert, the man whose battery had fired the first shot toward Fort Sumter, was described as doing well three days later. On the fateful day of May 10, 1863, Captain Cuthbert died in a Chandler House near Guniea Station. On the same day, about a half mile away at another Chandler House, "Stonewall" Jackson passed over the river."

Here is a CDV of Capt. George Cuthbert taken around 1860-61. Hope it helps you.

Attachments

• CC929BDC-B8BC-43F7-965E-9B122DCF9A1D.jpeg
    CC929BDC-B8BC-43F7-965E-9B122DCF9A1D.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 250
Hi,
I'm looking for some information on the above who I strongly believe to be a distant ancestor. My family history tells me that the Cuthbert's moved to North Carolina in the 18th Century. I am descended from the Cuthbert's of Castlehill in Inverness & I believe there is an old Plantation House in North Carolina that is named Castlehill. Any information or help, or even if a photograph could be posted up, would be deeply appreciated.

Regards
I recently joined the forum, I was not able to direct message you. I am a direct descendent of The Cuthberts of Castle Hill, Scotland. The King granted Cuthbert land in SC. James Cuthbert landed in Beaufort and rebuilt castle hill in Beaufort. My great grea great great grandfather was the last of the family to live in the Beaufort home before it was lost in the fire. I have a lot of information on the Cuthberts. The Cuthbert Inn that still stands was built by John Alexander, the brother of James Cuthbert. I am also a direct descendent of Barnwells, which you might be to. Feel free to ask any questions!

Back