Captain Frederick A. Wolfean (1st Texas Heavy Artillery & Tx Marine Dept.

Peter Stines

Sergeant
I thought this would make a nice conversation piece. The image has a piece of paper glued to the back with his signature so we know who it is. The "captain" comes from his civilian occupation. He was born in Hanover in 1834 and immigrated to Galveston in 1854. Enlisted in 1862 in Company B 1st Tx Heavy Artillery and transferred to the Marine Dept. Served on the "Diana" "Morning Light" "Flash" and "A.C. Shelton". He was my great-great grandmother's 2nd husband. They divorced in 1890. He died May 1905 and was buried in Lakeview Cemetery in Galveston. He has a Confederate marker. Based on other photos he wore that chin beard most of his adult life.

PictureSt2 001.jpg

@bdtex I sit here absolutely stunned you would have a picture* of the subject @Peter Stines has posted. [picture of grave headstone]*
So I am guessing the name 'Captain' was more of a nickname after the war? (Civilian occupation. Forgive temporary blindness please.)
Lubliner.

Wolfean was a ship captain in civilian life. Family stories claim that his father was also a ship captain and that he died on a voyage and was buried at sea. (I wonder if the sailor who buried him drowned while digging the grave ?....BA DA BOOM) From what I've found he worked on the pilot boat "Seminole" (Post War) and he was part owner of the schooner "Sea Bird". His health declined in the 1890's and he ended his days as a "watchman" at one of the piers in Galveston. He had Bright's Disease of the Kidneys according to some of his records. The headstone was dedicated in the early 1980's. I didn't get to attend but relatives did. His obit said was a member of Magruder Camp Confederate Veterans. Thanks for the comments

Do you know Jack King ?
I'm not sure. I know more faces than names. My brain is equipped with facial recognition technology but the database is stretched to the limit on storage space. :D

His obit said was a member of Magruder Camp Confederate Veterans.
As a member of the John B. Hood Camp in Galveston,your attendance at one or more of our events would be most welcome.

@bdtex I sit here absolutely stunned you would have a picture* of the subject @Peter Stines has posted. [picture of grave headstone]*
So I am guessing the name 'Captain' was more of a nickname after the war? (Civilian occupation. Forgive temporary blindness please.)
Lubliner.
I get around and I'm a shutterbug. :D

Jack was president of the 19th Century Living History Asso. in Galveston. He was and IS a MAJOR MOVER and SHAKER in CW reenacting in Texas (Especially the Red River Campaign) If you look him up on the web you might recognize him. He also has La King's Candy Store on the Strand.

Jack was president of the 19th Century Living History Asso. in Galveston. He was and IS a MAJOR MOVER and SHAKER in CW reenacting in Texas (Especially the Red River Campaign) If you look him up on the web you might recognize him. He also has La King's Candy Store on the Strand.
I'm relatively new to all this. I'm sure my oldtimer SCV brothers in Galveston know him quite well.

Back