Captain Elijah W. Holt, Prisoner of War

tdstepen

Corporal
Elijah W. Holt, Prisoner of War

Elijah W. Holt, Capt.Co.K. 5th Tenn was taken prisoner at Shelton Hill, May 28, 1862, Corinth,Mississippi. Another record shows he was on a roll of prisoners of war arrested at Pittsburg landing(Shiloh)) April 7,1862. He was sent to Camp Chase,Ohio,June 7,1862,from Pittsburg Landing,Tenn. Elijah Holt was transferred to Johnsons Island,Ohio on July 3,1862. On September 1,1862,he was sent Vicksburg,Mississippi. At Vicksburg,he was paroled.

He filled out an officer's pay account applying for pay from Dec (?) 20th, 1861 to June 8th, 1862. Term of service charged: 5 month and 17 days,at $80.00 per month. The amount totaling $450.66. Elijah had not been paid since December 19,1861. He was a second Lieutenant Co.B,32 Tenn Regt.

Elijah William Holt,born 24 February 1828,in Maury or Giles County,TN. died 20 May 1884,Waxahachie,Ellis County. Elijah was the son of Edmund Holt and his wife Polly Emery. Elijah Holt married Elizira Watson,daughter of Larkin Watson. His sister Mary Holt also lived in Waxahachie,TX. with her husband Sylvester Brown Stephenson. Sylvester Brown Stephenson was the son of Samuel Stephenson and Mary Shields. Samuel Stephenson appears on the 1820 census and 1850 census of Giles County,TN.
Captain Elijah Holt Letter of Resignation

Camp near Fairfield Tenn
May 14th 1863
Genl S Coofies(?) A&I.G

Sir, I hereby tender my resignation as Captain leS(Second Lieutenant ?) Army, which I desire to be unconditional and immediate. I was 2nd Lieut. in Company "B" now Company "E" 32nd Tenn Regt at the organization of the Regiment in October 1861. At the time of the fall of Fort Donelson in which my Regiment was surrendered, I was absent on detailed service. Being thus cut off from my command with many others of my own and other regiments, we were organized into a Battallion of 3 companies. I was assigned to duty as a 2nd Lieut. Afterwards we were consolidated with the 5th Tenn P.A.C.S.(?) and at the reorganization of that Regiment under the terms of the Conscription Act, I was elected Captain Co. "K." This Reorganization was about the 8th May 1862.

In September 1862 my former Regt then just exchanged was reorganized while I was yet with the 5th. Sometime afterward all the original members of 32nd Tenn then with 5th Tenn were ordered to report to duty to Col Cook, commander of the former. I did so and have been since a supernumerary (? a soldier added to a legion in excess of its fixed number, from Latin). Being thus situated I desire to be discharged from the service.

E.W. Holt
Capt. C.S.A.

P.S. My address is as of the 32nd
Tenn Regt commanded by Col. Ed.C.
Cook

approved
W.P.Oneal,Lt.Col.
Carndy(?)Regt

Elijah Holt Parole Letter

I, E.W. Holt, capt.-an officer and a prisoner of war hereby pledge my sacred parole of honor as an officer and a gentleman not to leave the the Army of Mississippi and to report daily to the Inspector General of said army until duly exchanged or otherwise disposed of by proper authority, to hold no communication directly or indirectly, nor give any information, aid, or comfort to the enemies of the United States,and to such orders as may be received from the commanding officer of this army. This parole is signed with the full understanding that the penalty for the violation thereof, according to custom and usages of war in like causes, is death.

E.W. Holt, Capt.
5th Tenn Regt

Subscribed to before me
N.G. Keunelt (?) H C Inspector Genl.
at Camp near Corinth, Miss
May 28,A.D. 1862

This information came from Ruth Causey, whose grandmother was Rosa Stephenson, daughter of Sylvester Brown Stephenson and Mary Holt.

5th Tenn P.A.C.S.(?)

I have researched another officer Henry C. Holt of Bedford County(later Coffee County) Tennessee. I wonder if he was related to your Elijah Holt. Henry Holt was the son of a physician and had a brother who moved to Arkansas and became general of State Militia. One of Lt. Henry Holt's duties was Post Adjutant Confederate States---aka P.A.C.S.

Dixie Rifles,
If you will go to this message board here http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.holt/mb.ashx, and click on the Holt button and put in "Edmund" in the blank and you should come to this message:
"Holt Family from TN,VA, and OK" by David Holt 1121,posted 18 Apr. 2008 you will find information on the genealogy of the Holt family that married into my Stephenson family. I did not notice a Henry C. Holt of Bedford,but that doesn't mean there wasn't a relationship way back in time in VA and TN. I did notice a Shadrack or Shadrick Holt who died in Bedford Co,TN in 1838 in one of the message at the forum
Let me ask you a question. I noticed you are looking for Pvt. Richard Cole. A James K. Cole married into my Stephenson family in Madison Co.Alabama. His father was Jesse M. Cole b. 1822 in Alabama and his mother was Jane B. b. 1822 in SC.
Let me know if there is a Cole or Holt connection.

Last edited:
No connection between my COLE ancestor and the officer Holt that I'm researching.
I have a lineage for my COLE ancestor and James K. or Jessee M. is not part of the immediate family. My COLE's moved from Virginia into Alabama in Fayette and Bibb County--- so I wonder if they are kin to your James K. Cole. From there, one group moved to Mississippi in 1840's and one into Texas. I can send you a webpage on that lineage, if interested.

No connection between my COLE ancestor and the officer Holt that I'm researching.
I have a lineage for my COLE ancestor and James K. or Jessee M. is not part of the immediate family. My COLE's moved from Virginia into Alabama in Fayette and Bibb County--- so I wonder if they are kin to your James K. Cole. From there, one group moved to Mississippi in 1840's and one into Texas. I can send you a webpage on that lineage, if interested.
Yes, I would like to see that webpage. I have not researched my Cole's that much. James K. Cole's parents moved to Wood County,TX and then to a small town near Waco in McLennen County,TX where James K. Cole died. I would also be interested in a webpage on your Henry C. Cole if one exists.

Yes, I meant Henry C. Holt. Sorry about that. I am reading the webpages you in between going out and trying to prevent rain water from coming in my house.

I found Elijah W. Holt listed as a prisoner at Johnson Island,Ohio
http://johnsonsisland.org/history-pows/civil-war-era/barbiere-list-of-pows/barbiere-list-pows-h/
He is listed at the site as G.W. Holt
Elijah W. Holt, Capt.Co.K. 5th Tenn was taken prisoner at Shelton Hill, May 28, 1862, Corinth,Mississippi. Another record shows he was on a roll of prisoners of war arrested at Pittsburg landing(Shiloh)) April 7,1862. He was sent to Camp Chase,Ohio,June 7,1862,from Pittsburg Landing,Tenn. Elijah Holt was transferred to Johnsons Island,Ohio on July 3,1862. On September 1,1862,he was sent Vicksburg,Mississippi. At Vicksburg,he was paroled.

Thanks for sharing your ancestor's story!

I wonder if we're related somehow back in the Colonial era. I have Watsons who married Larkins.

Allie
My Stephenson married into the Holt family,so I don't know that much about the Watsons and Larkins. These Watsons lived in Giles County,TN.The children of Elijah Holt and Elizira Watson married Watsons, If you would like to see these Watsons that married Holts go here:
Edmund Holt And-Ourholtweb.com
Put that in a search engine and it will come up. The Watsons are mentioned on pages 14-18 of this Holt history.
Someone on a message board claimed these Watsons came from Nottaway,Virginia,to Giles County,TN.
I wish I could be of more help to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allie
My Stephenson married into the Holt family,so I don't know that much about the Watsons and Larkins. These Watsons lived in Giles County,TN.The children of Elijah Holt and Elizira Watson married Watsons, If you would like to see these Watsons that married Holts go here:
Edmund Holt And-Ourholtweb.com
Put that in a search engine and it will come up. The Watsons are mentioned on pages 14-18 of this Holt history.
Someone on a message board claimed these Watsons came from Nottaway,Virginia,to Giles County,TN.
I wish I could be of more help to you.
Oh, it was more of an idle thought than a serious desire to do genealogy. But my Watsons are also from Nottaway, so quite possible. It's a small world if you go back in time far enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the Giles County,TN Genweb site and checked the 1850 census. Larkin Watson was 37 years old,born TN,Alzira A
who married Elijah Holt was age 10,b. TN. There was a Mary Watson living with them,age 59,b. Virginia.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tngiles/census/1850/d8-477.htm
You might find their Civil War information interesting. Under "Civil War" the site has Confederate units, U.S. colored troops,
soldiers service records,soldiers stores,Sam Davis,hero,Southern Claims Commission,some official records,and other links and resources. What I posted on CivilWarTalk about Elijah Holt,I posted on the Giles Co,TN Genweb site
http://gilestn.genealogyvillage.com/index.htm
There was a lot of shootings under "Soldiers Stores" one shooting was on the square in Pulaski.
Giles is not your typical genealogy websites.

This is a picture of Elijah Wilson Holt. I may have wrote his middle name as "William."
He is buried in the Glenwood Cemetery in Ellis County,TX
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=34794827
Elijah Holt.jpeg

Back