Captain Edwin West 1st Battalion Florida Special Cav.

Vahan

Private
Hi,

Just trying to find Captain Edwin West's dob and dod. I see he was in 10th Florida Inf. prior to 1st Battalion Florida Spec. Cav. Does anyone know if he received any wounds during war? Lastly I've seen sources state him as in charge of this unit then other sources state it as Munnerlyn's Battalion or Cow Cavalry and even as Major Footman's Battalion. Did this unit change commanders multiple times and when did West leave the unit?

I think there is some misconception in the unit; also spreading through some sources.

West served in the 1st Florida Special Battalion. Originally heavy artillery in 1861 it was quickly reformed as infantry months later and was hence also known as 1st Florida Infantry Btln. It was commanded by Lt. Col. Daniel P. Holland.
In 1864 it became part of the 10th Florida Infantry Regiment (again under Holland).

Not to be confused with the 1st (McDonell's) Battalion, Florida Infantry, which for a short time was the remnant of the 1st Regiment until it reformed.

So West served not in the 1st (Munnerlyn's) Battalion, Florida Special Cavalry.

Hi,

Just trying to find Captain Edwin West's dob and dod. I see he was in 10th Florida Inf. prior to 1st Battalion Florida Spec. Cav. Does anyone know if he received any wounds during war? Lastly I've seen sources state him as in charge of this unit then other sources state it as Munnerlyn's Battalion or Cow Cavalry and even as Major Footman's Battalion. Did this unit change commanders multiple times and when did West leave the unit?

- Soldiers of Florida in the ...Civil War...
- Biographical Rosters of Florida's Soldiers 1861-1865

Edwin West

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 8/15/1861 at Lower Spring, FL as a 1st Lieutenant.

On 8/15/1861 he was commissioned into "C" Co. FL 10th Infantry
(date and method of discharge not given)

He was listed as:
* Hospitalized 2/15/1865 Richmond, VA
* Hospitalized 4/2/1865 Farmville, VA
* Oath Allegiance 5/1/1865 Greensboro, NC (Estimated day)

Promotions:
* Capt 5/12/1862

Other Information:
born in 1833

Back