Capitol Building prepared for war - Nashville, TN

JAGwinn

Retired User
ON%20THE%20STEPS%20OF%20THE%20CAPITOL%20NASHVILLE%20TN%201864_zpsv6uqsc1o.jpg

I don't know why they are covered but they definitely weren't hiding them. They had them trained on the town from there and other places. Andrew Johnson said he would destroy the city before he let the rebels retake it.

Great photo.

I love this building. I first saw it on a National Honor Society trip in seventh grade, and I loved it then, and I still love it.

William Strickland was the architect and it took years to get the capitol built. And, as everyone who has ever created anything knows, there is always someone trying to rain on your parade. Samuel Dold Morgan was the chairman of the state building commission and he and Strickland continually locked horns and loathed each other. Strickland died first and was buried in one corner of the capitol and when Morgan died 14 years later he was born in the corner diagonal from him. There are tales of loud shouting and arguing heard at night with no one there. The capitol is part of the ghost tours here. I have a powerpoint of historic Nashville buildings that I use a lot of times when I am asked to speak and people always love the capitol story.

William Strickland was the architect and it took years to get the capitol built. And, as everyone who has ever created anything knows, there is always someone trying to rain on your parade. Samuel Dold Morgan was the chairman of the state building commission and he and Strickland continually locked horns and loathed each other. Strickland died first and was buried in one corner of the capitol and when Morgan died 14 years later he was born in the corner diagonal from him. There are tales of loud shouting and arguing heard at night with no one there. The capitol is part of the ghost tours here. I have a powerpoint of historic Nashville buildings that I use a lot of times when I am asked to speak and people always love the capitol story.

Wow! Great ghost story! Creepy for sure! Thanks for sharing! :geek:

Interesting photo. I'm just wondering when all those houses in front were removed to make the wide street in front of the building that exists there today.

I didn't know the ghost story, thanks for sharing!

They were going to name the fort at the capitol after Andrew Johnson, but he demurred. I think they named it after him anyway. There are quite a few good images of the parrot rifles and sandbags that studded the building.

Back