Ammo Discussion Cant figure out the rifle, that fired this bullet

Mrnobody1

Cadet
I found a fired .58 minie ball. Its width is .566 and a remaining weight of 416 gr. But what was odd to me is this bullet had 4 lands and grooves. From my understanding the Springfield 1861, 1863, and Enfield 1853 all had 3 lands and grooves. So what rifle fired a .58 minie with 4 lands and grooves?
1596248389815848533807544874204.jpg

Mrnobody1

Cadet
Were these rifles common? I've heard of the 1854 lorenz, but never knew they were boring them out.

Don Dixon

Sergeant
Were these rifles common? I've heard of the 1854 lorenz, but never knew they were boring them out.

The Federal Army imported thousands of them, and beginning in 1863 bored out thousand of ."54" caliber Type II rifle muskets in the Army's inventory to .58 caliber. In looking at the Quarterly Ordnance Reports, one finds numbers of units reporting mixes of .58 caliber Springfield rifle muskets, .577 caliber Enfield rifle muskets, and .58 caliber Muster 1854 rifle muskets. While small arms repair and training would have been problems, they all could use the same ammunition, which was the objective. That simplified ammunition logisitics, if nothing else.

The Confederates used captured Federal Army arms, and there are indications that a small number of .58 caliber System Lorenz arms were imported. They issued a shipload of newly imported arms at Charleston without inspecting them and then discovered that some were the standard ".54" and some were .58.

Regards,
Don Dixon

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. I see Don as answered your question.

Racing

Private
Indeed.
Here an original Lorenz type II made in 1857,still in 54 cal as i live i Europe,doing its thing.
History,if ever.
This rifle,due the markings on the side of the barrel,was part of the Austrian campaign vs norther Italy/Sardinia/Napoleon III and then in turn the world fabled battle of Königgrätz vs the Preussians in 1866.

Having revived the thing,it was in really poor shape,it again roars like it used to. Rifling still in decent shape,it slugs to 13.85mm to this day.

67.jpg

Racing

Private
81.jpg

82.jpg

Not bad for a rifle made with a cast barrel back in 1857 if you ask me! Took a lot of work getting there tho...have to say. Rifling twist is the faster one of approx 48" per the later Enfields of the time.
The British guns are in comparsion made with MUCH greater attention to detail though. Credit where credit´s due..