Cannon Shock Waves in Ultra Slow Motion

GREAT Video. I was up there 3 years ago as a crew member of a friend on mines 3 inch field gun. Now you know why I build and fire them. I'm putting the finishing touches on the one I'm bringing up to Chickamauga. Got the mock-up done last weekend and started painting Monday. :cannon: I believe this will be my last howitzer as I want to build a field gun.
IMG_20161222_141715050(1).jpg
IMG_20170115_154407159.jpg
IMG_20170118_153605024_HDR.jpg
cannon.jpeg

Great video! I've fired cannons on and off for years, (I will own a Tredegar Mountain Rifle one day!), and watching that video the amount of shock the carriage absorbs is astounding! Its never occurred to me how much stress those carriages have to absorb, never occurred to me, and the part showing the "shockwave" is dang near how I always envisioned it.

On another note those cheap fellas firing a Tredegar Mountain Rifle with lighting a fuse, not very CW lol.
EDIT: By cheap I'm referring to the fact that the percussion fuse is VERY expensive, looking back at my comment I noticed how mean spirited that could be interpreted as, which it wasn't in that spirit.

Great video! I've fired cannons on and off for years, (I will own a Tredegar Mountain Rifle one day!), and watching that video the amount of shock the carriage absorbs is astounding! Its never occurred to me how much stress those carriages have to absorb, never occurred to me, and the part showing the "shockwave" is dang near how I always envisioned it.

On another note those cheap fellas firing a Tredegar Mountain Rifle with lighting a fuse, not very CW lol.
EDIT: By cheap I'm referring to the fact that the percussion fuse is VERY expensive, looking back at my comment I noticed how mean spirited that could be interpreted as, which it wasn't in that spirit.

How much is a percussion fuse?

I have a guy in Tennessee that hand makes them for $1.50 each and I have never had a failure, but the main cost is the powder. It cost me $18 every-time it goes BOOM. The 3" Field Guns depending if your shooting competition can run $40 to $60 a pop plus the cost of the round.

Yeah what ucvrelics.com said, he'd know better than me I reckon.

It may not sound like much but it adds up in a hurry, and most folks buy the fuses in bulk, at higher prices per fuse, (I think the last number I heard around $2.50 from one manufacturer), some folks will just use the other "Chinese Safety Fuse", mostly hobby shooters rather than reenactors as its only ten bucks for twenty feet per-say, which lasts a long longer at a better price. Powder gets expensive, so folks economize, plus some folks wouldn't know where to buy the percussion ones, I know I don't.

And this is one reason why I log on to this Forum almost daily! What a blast. Gotta respect folks going to this much trouble to experience history, sense what our forefather lived. I expected to see hats blown off, but no.

You'll make my husband's day, just bookmarked this for him. Big booms are his Christmas, can get noisy around here.

This made me think of the crews, during the war? BOY am I a wet blanket today, apologize! We're dealing with post concussion, nasty one, in the family so browse information quite a bit. Apparently there's a horrendous form of post concussion syndrome suffered by ex-military exposed to blast after blast after blast, as in battles. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, " Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a degenerative brain disease found in athletes, military veterans, and others with a history of repetitive brain trauma... " ( from The Concussion Legacy Foundation ).

" As the disease progresses, some patients may experience problems with thinking and memory, including memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, and eventually progressive dementia. " We've had discussions on PTSD and Civil War vets, this makes me wonder about CTE. The blast rockets the brain around inside the skull, same as a blow. Had to be around in the 1860's , unidentified.

https://concussionfoundation.org/ , a terrific site and foundation- CTE section is eye opening.

Back