Cannon numbers, ranges, and locations along the Mississippi River

Norm53

Corporal
I would find it useful to know (1) numbers, ranges, and locations of Confederate cannons along the Miss. River from Forts Jackson and St. Philip to Island #10, (2) numbers and ranges of Union river vessel cannons and mortars north and south of Vicksburg, (3) approximate distances between Union vessels near the west bank of the river to cannon emplacements on the east bank, and (4) approximate widths of the river at the cannon emplacement locations. These will provide me with a better understanding of Union naval and Conf. army concerns and strategies.

Thank you in advance for any relevant information that you can provide me.

Norm

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Quite a project, maybe one that will require you to visit Vicksburg to see the terrain and how the change in the course of the Mississippi affects the layout of the Confederate defenses.
Regards
David
This sign is locate atop Fort Hill at the northern end of the Confederate line that once overlooked the Mississippi River.
1554129520146.png
ses.
Regards
David

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
The view from Fort Hill today overlooking the Yazoo River diversion canal that replaced the Mississippi River when it changed its course in 1876 leaving Vicksburg dry
Regards
David

DixieRifles

1st Lieutenant
If you want some information on forts on the Mississippi River, I would recommend you start with an Osprey publication: "American Civil War Fortifications (3); The Mississippi and River Forts" by Ron Field. It is one of their brief booklets but it does list each fort with a description of when it was built and the number and type of guns. It doesn't get into the details of the range and ammo for the guns, so you would have to use another source to find this information. I don't know how accurate it is but it would get you started.

Also, I'm not an expert on the naval and river campaigns but I would not think that range is that important for battles on the Mississippi River. Another factor was height of fort and how this impacted how the guns were used.

Albert Sailhorst

1st Lieutenant
You won't find any records of the Serial Numbers of the actual guns that were there.....Those records were not logged.
Perhaps I misinterpreted your question. Did you mean the amount of guns placed?.....That would vary from time to time....Totals would include Parrot Guns (which were moved according to the needs of the Army at a particular time).....guns used for training, then the Units were re-assigned.....Any larger guns, which might also be re-assigned to different locations at a given time, etc.....
If you are looking for a particular date that the guns were at a location, consult the OR's to see if there is any reference to the batteries that were either placed or in use.

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I am not expert in any subject but I know that the angle of fire is a vital component of range, caliber and type of round fired at a vessel so I agree with @DixieRifles post.
Regards
David