Restricted Cannon County Confederate Monument Woodbury, Tennessee

Cannon County Confederate Monument

Woodbury, Tennessee

Situated in an unusual location?

By Norman Dasinger Jr​

1619731192789.png

A short distance west along Main Street from downtown Woodbury sits a single granite monument. Today, it is located in a lonely grassy area along the shoulder of US Hwy 705; a busy four lane highway that travels from Woodbury to Murfreesboro.

The Cannon County Chapter #1821 United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) was chartered November 2, 1923. One can speculate that their first major project was the erection of a shrine to the Confederate soldiers of Cannon County. So, on January 1, 1926, that task was accomplished with the placement of just such a marker. The ladies chose an unusual site for the memorial. Most other chapters dedicated similar tributes at their local county courthouse but not this group. Why?

The answer is found on the monument. Inscribed into the granite are two statements, “To honor the memory, the patriotism, and the deeds of valor and sacrifices of Cannon County Confederate soldiers of the period 1861-1865. And a second message, “This boulder marks the spot where the gallant Tennessee Lieut Col John B. Hutcheson of Company E, 2nd​ KY Regt. Morgan’s Cavalry was killed in battle Jan 25, 1863.”

John B “Jack” Hutcheson was born in 1839 in Robertson County, Tennessee. When the War Between the States started, he was a school teacher. “Old Fighting Hutch” as he would come to be known, first enlisted in an infantry regiment but within a year had changed his interest and in June of 1862 he helped organize a cavalry command. He, and 104 other men he recruited, became Company E of the 2nd​ Kentucky Cavalry. The first commander of the regiment was the ‘Thunderbolt of the Confederacy’ John Hunt Morgan. Jack was soon elevated to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and was present for Morgan’s 1st​ Kentucky Raid in July of 1862, Morgan’s Raid on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad in August of 1862, Bragg’s Kentucky Campaign in October of 1862, Morgan’s 2nd​ Kentucky Raid in November of 1862 and Morgan’s Christmas Raid in December of 1862.

What was his connection to Woodbury? He was not from there nor was any of his family. In January of 1863, Lt Col Hutcheson was involved in capturing a Union wagon train under the command of William B Hazen near Woodbury. Also called the battle of Snow Hill, the Confederates were successful in carrying off much of the Federal supplies that day. But why mention him on a monument to soldiers that served from Cannon County? Previously, Hutcheson had sworn, “I have on numerous occasions promised the people of Woodbury that no live Yankee should come into that town unless over my dead body.” And that is what happened. During the encounter, a cannon shot ricocheted off the ground and hit Jack in the head killing him. So, the UDC made a lasting tribute to his pledge to the people of Woodbury by forever inscribing his name onto their memorial.

Jack Hutcheson was first interred in McMinnville but later was moved to the family cemetery in Springfield, Tennessee. He would later be joined by his brother, George, who was mortally wounded at the battle of Chancellorsville, VA and died on May 27, 1863. According to their sister, “After the war, they were brought home by my brother (W.R.) and were reinterred in the city cemetery, where now all three good and true men, loving sons and brothers, sleep side by side with our honored parents.”

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
Thanks, I have always wondered why that stone was in such an odd place. Next time I drive by there I will be able to gift my g-granddaughters with another of the jewels of wisdom they expect from me... yes, I do know what the word delusional means, thank you.