Eagle bridle bit boss (medallion)

jimbits

Cadet
I've just acquired (well...it's "in the mail") a Grimsley dragoon bit which has been fitted with these MASSIVE bosses bearing an eagle.

I'm trying to ascertain: the approximate AGE of the eagle and its possible association with any particular unit, etc.

Part of my research will be looking for analogs on military buttons, etc.

My hope, of course, is that the bosses were original additions...or at least, say, added within 20 years of the bit's manufacture. I'm envisioning (dreaming?) they might have been private purchase additions by an officer in the 1840s-1860s.

ANY insights, connections, speculations, etc. are appreciated. Thanks in advance...

jim

Attachments

• grimsleyeagleboss.jpg
    grimsleyeagleboss.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 126
The Grimsley was adopted in 1847 for the Dragoons and Mounted Rifles. It was made by Thorton Grimsley in St. Louis, Mo. The bridle bosses may have been produced before the Grimsley. If I had to guess a time period for the bosses I would say between 1847 to 1859.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I wondered if you had found anything else about the bosses.
I’m cataloging a set of Civil War tack that belonged to a general for the museum I volunteer at.
The bit without the bosses certainly look like a Grimsley Dragoon (you can even see underneath the bosses where the rivets look just like a Grimsley) but the bosses are really throwing me off.
From what I understand, bosses on dragoon bits just had unit numbers.
The bridle our bit is attached to has enameled leather on the brow and nose bands, as well as a face piece, none of which as far as I’ve found, were ever standard issue. I’m fairly stumped, but I’m wondering if the bit and bridle were purchased from a private supplier, as seemed to be pretty common in the CW.
I sure could use some help, though, from more knowledgeable folks than me.
Thanks in advance.

Back