Candid Reflections on Robert E. Lee, Before and After Gettysburg, by his Soldiers

Even if pointless in the end, these "what if" discussions are always fun. Here is my thought on what would happen if Lee moved back through the gap west of Cashtown: Although Lee could defend several mountain passes, all that accomplishes is to hold his army in the Cumberland Valley, or cover a retreat to Virginia. If he did this after Day 2, Meade would be in a position to move through any mountain pass south of Lee's position thus cutting Lee off from his intended route of departure. The Union forces could have kept Lee in the Cumberland Valley by just guarding the same mountain passes that Lee would be guarding. In addition, while I admit is would not be a strong force, Couch could then also move from the direction of Harrisburg. In the end, Lee would probably have found a way to escape through the ridges and valleys to the west of Chambersburg, but I suspect it would have cost him even more of his force, and the difficult roads would have forced him to abandon many of the prisoners and wounded, as well as some of the provisions acquired in Pennsylvania.

Lee had to do something. He couldn't just park his army on northern soil. He brought them North to find a fight and the clock was ticking.

Meade had the same.problem but more flexibility. Lee had to fight and win.. Meade could win by not losing.

Last edited:
Back