1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Canadian female soldier in jail in Detriot

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by major bill, Dec 6, 2017.

1. major bill

major bill Lt. Colonel Forum Host

This poor Canadian female soldier just can't sty out of jail. The Detroit newspaper printed two articles women solders in jail.

women 4.jpg wome122.jpg

mofederal and lelliott19 like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Canadian

Canadian Corporal

It sounds as if the folk songs were based on true stories!

"I'll tie back my hair, men's clothing I'll put on
    I'll pass as your comrade as we march along.
    I'll pass as your comrade, no one will ever guess
    Won't you let me go with you?
    Yes, my love, yes."

4. major bill

Question about the newspaper. Is not "Female Amazon" redundant? If the newspaper simply said "Amazon" would that convey the story? Was the term "Male Amazon" ever used?

mofederal likes this.
  5. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant

In history amazon tended to speak of a woman. A different adjective would apply to a man. An interesting little article. I wonder how many times she rejoined the army.

6. John Hartwell

John Hartwell Captain Forum Host

What are the dates of these two clippings?
    Are you sure they are about the same woman?

mofederal likes this.
  7. major bill

I belive the were differnt women. Detroit had a rash of women in jail for being soldiers.

John Hartwell likes this.
  8. John Hartwell

John Hartwell Captain Forum Host

I've seen what must be close to a hundred newspaper and other contemporary reports of "female soldiers," North and South. And, we're finding more all the time. While some are probably apocryphal, and many may be exaggerated, there are so many that it is clear that the phenomenon was more common than many have hitherto believed.

The response of authorities ranged from jail, trial and public humiliation to a paternalistic "pat on the head and send her home." In some few cases the press praised their patriotism and courage, in others reviled them as "fallen women," preying on "our poor soldiers." Most seem to have successfully concealed their sex; a few managed to continue with the connivance of soldier relatives or friends -- sometimes officers seem to have turned a blind eye to their presence. Many such stories have been told in our "Ladies' Tea" forum.

major bill likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)