Can you tell who was QuarterMaster in this pic? NJ 4th Inf 3mths Vols 1861

R

Rachael

I am trying to identify which officer in this pic was my gg grandfather - (John L Linton agrd 40yrs from a well-to-do Philadelphia family and his grandfather was a Capt in the Continental Army in the Revolutionary War)- he was QuarterMaster in the 4th NJ Regiment April 1861 mustered out after Bull Run end July 1861.

(How can I post the picture jpeg?) (I have registered and am waiting for my confirmation to the site)

All the Field & Staff of the Regiment are present in this pic (inlc the 2 surgeons in plain clothes). Are there any clues in the caps, swords or shoulder boards?
Any info much appreciated - I love what I have learnt so far in this search - details like the red sash worn across the shoulder meaning 'Acting Officer for the Day'....
Thanks! Rachael Linton.

Rachel, try logging in as linton, that's the name you registered with.

Once are logged in you will be able to upload your photo.

4th NJ Field & Staff July 1861.jpg

I am trying to identify which officer in this pic was my gg grandfather - (John L Linton agrd 40yrs from a well-to-do Philadelphia family and his grandfather was a Capt in the Continental Army in the Revolutionary War)- he was QuarterMaster in the 4th NJ Regiment April 1861 mustered out after Bull Run end July 1861.

All the Field & Staff of the Regiment are present in this pic (incl the 2 surgeons in plain clothes). Are there any clues in the caps, swords or shoulder boards? (Col Matthew Miller is seated middle).

Any info much appreciated - I love what I have learnt so far in this search - details like the red sash worn across the shoulder meaning 'Officer of the Day'....

Thanks! Rachael Linton.

Hard to tell with this scan of a newspaper image (assuming that's what it is) but if you knew his rank it might be possible to tell from a clearer image. Officer uniforms were up to the officer but the uniform may not have been any different from another officers of the regiment. Quartermaster and Ordinance departments did have their own insignias but that that may not have been the case for regimental roles.

John L. Linton (First_Last)
Regiment Name 4 New Jersey Infantry. (3 Months, 1861.)
Side Union
Company F&S
Soldier's Rank_In Q. Master
Soldier's Rank_Out Q. Master
Alternate Name
Notes
Film Number M550 roll 14

Thanks guys -
So could the 1850 sword be a clue? Would the 3 non-commissioned officers be allowed to carry a sword or be allowed to wear the sash for 'Officer of the Day'? (This would help eliminate some of the options left as I know who 6 of the 10 officers are.....
Anyone able to tell from the shoulder boards?

Way over my head, linton. There are, however, real scholars here, and there will be some educated guesses.

your search term was 4th NJ ?

Something like this it was indeed; maybe with or without the 4th, New Jersey or NJ, maybe staff or officer - and of course in google picture search. This guided me to the same picture on flickr and this flickr-page had a link to the respective page of the US national archives where it also has the high res version.

linton said:
Thanks guys -
So could the 1850 sword be a clue? Would the 3 non-commissioned officers be allowed to carry a sword or be allowed to wear the sash for 'Officer of the Day'? (This would help eliminate some of the options left as I know who 6 of the 10 officers are.....
Anyone able to tell from the shoulder boards?

To answer your question, yes, NCOs who held the rank of 1st Sgt and up carried an enlisted man's sword and wore a sash.

If you google Quartemasters uniform you will come across the Army Quartermaster Museum links and period uniform studies for enlisted men (mostly upper NCOs) with sword and sash.

With the more visible images found I still can't make out the ranks on the shoulder boards but the man to far left appears to be a 2nd Lt. The others I can't make out.

Back