Can you Id this uniform my GGF is wearing?

EJ Zander

Sergeant Major
Here is a pic of my GGF wearing a uniform. He served nearly three years in the 2nd Maryland (US) till his death. I was told the uniform was not from the Civil War. I dont know at what age he immigrated so it could be a German uniform as he came from southern Germany. I thought I'd let you guys check it out. Hope the attachment works.
Zander.jpg

EJ Zander,

The best expert I know when it comes to military uniforms, is Don Troiani.

He's also familiar with foreign uniforms as well. He is on FACEBOOK -- He is so kind, he will answer anybody's questions and honestly say if he doesn't know.

The possibility is that the uniform is Maryland's Militia. Again Mr. Troiani would know. Not sure if Maryland's Historical Archivist will have the uniform description. They were called up in 1861. Then when re-designated as Volunteers, then the U.S. Quartermaster would provide the uniforms, etc.

If you or Wilber can blow up the medal hanging from the campaign ribbon on the left breast area a bit more--it looks to me at this time (without benefit of enlargement) the German Eagle.

M. E. Wolf

You have good eyes. Thank you for taking the time to examine the photo. I know you are good at it. I will definatley be contacting MR Troiani. That was the best I could do with uploading given that my scanner is pretty old. The actual photo is about 8X10. What color do you think the lighter color is on his shoulder? Yellow or light blue, maybe.

EJ Zander,

I would think it could be either color (light blue or yellow) -- That is the problem with black & white photos. LOL

Now, have you considered contacting Germany's military historians in Germany? Not sure if they have archives and or military records that survived WWII but--never know!

Have you tried the German-American organization, here in the U.S.A.? Reason why, folks that have German heritage might have a relative that wore the same uniform and narrow down the period for you.

Its going to be great to find out this mystery. :thumbsup:

Depending on the branch of service--the shoulder board color would be based on.

M. E. Wolf

O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME I [S# 122]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM NOVEMBER 1, 1860, TO MARCH 31, 1862.(*)--#8
EXECUTIVE CHAMBER,
Frederick City, Md., May 13, 1861.
Hon. SIMON CAMERON:
DEAR SIR: I herewith transmit a copy of a letter from Brigadier-General Stites, tendering his brigade for special service. So soon as I can get the necessary papers ready I shall call out the four regiments for which the President has made a requisition upon me. They will be composed of volunteers.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
THO. H. HICKS.
[Inclosure.]
HDQRS. FIRST BRIG., SECOND DIV., MARYLAND MILITIA,
Elkton, May 10, 1861.
His Excellency THOMAS H. HICKS:
DEAR SIR: Your proclamation of the 6th instant reached me this morning, and as it was not my purpose to issue a brigade order in obedience to General Tilghman's orders, it was quite gratifying to know that I was not liable to censure.

I entirely approve of Your Excellency's course in relation to the position our State should occupy at the present juncture. Secession would be ruin and desolation to two.thirds of our dear old State, and I offer you my most cordial congratulations on the position you occupy. The opinions of all our correct-minded citizens will indorse you, and Cecil County will sustain you fully.

If it should meet your approbation, I would request as a favor that you offer to the Government of the United States the volunteer force of my brigade--say 500 men, or 1,000 if necessary--to guard the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad from the Delaware line through Cecil and Harford counties; and if the offer is accepted I can muster the men into service in three days after receiving the order. The German troops who are at present stationed here could be withdrawn, and I will pledge my own individual honor and the honor of the whole brigade for the fidelity of the guard.

I have this moment had a consultation with Colonel Howard and other officers of the brigade, who most cordially approve of my making the offer, and are ready at a moment's notice.

Believe me, sincerely,
H. S. STITES,
Brigadier-General.
I should be glad to know the result of the offer as early as may suit your convenience.
-----
It is very possible that the Germans wore their old military uniforms from their German Army days--

O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME I [S# 122]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM NOVEMBER 1, 1860, TO MARCH 31, 1862.(*)--#8
BALTIMORE, May 14, 1861.
General LORENZO THOMAS,
Adjutant General U. S. Army, Washington, D. C.:

SIR: I have the honor to report to you, in obedience to orders from His Excellency Thomas H. Hicks, Governor of Maryland, that I have issued orders to the colonels commanding two regiments of my brigade, Maryland' militia, to call out volunteers for their respective commands., for service in the Army of the United States, in pursuance of the requisition of the President of the United States of date the 15th ultimo. The colonels commanding the two regiments of Maryland militia (to complete the quota from this State) have been ordered by His Excellency Governor Hicks to report to me for orders; and, awaiting your orders, I have the honor to be, with great respect, your most obedient servant,
JOHN R. KENLY,
Brigadier-General, Maryland Militia.
---------------
GENERAL ORDERS No. 2.
HEADQUARTERS MARYLAND MILITIA,

Frederick, May 14, 1861.
1. Brig. Gen. John R. Kenly, of the Third Brigade, Maryland Militia, is assigned to the command of the four regiments Maryland militia called out in pursuance of the proclamation of the President of the United States dated at Washington the 15th day of April, 1861.

2. The commanding officers of the regiments designated for the service of the United States by general orders from these headquarters of this day's date will report to General Kenly for orders and instructions.
THO. H. HICKS,
Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Maryland Militia.
------------
Frederick, Maryland isn't all that far from Pennsylvania-- I'd look into the Maryland historian/archivist to see if they have anything on the post Civil War Maryland Militia uniforms.

Just some thoughts.

M. E. Wolf

Dyer's Compendium, Pt. 3 (Regimental Histories)
MARYLAND VOLUNTEERS.
2nd REGIMENT CAVALRY.
Organized at Baltimore and Annapolis, Md., July 1 to August 12, 1863, for 6 months. Assigned to provost duty in Anne Arundel and Calvert counties and at Annapolis, Md., during entire term. Mustered out Companies "A" and "B" January 26, 1864; Companies "C" and "D" February 6, 1864; Company "E" January 31, 1864.
Lost 13 by disease during service.

2nd REGIMENT INFANTRY.
Organized at Baltimore, Md., June to September, 1861. Duty at Baltimore, Md., till March, 1862. Attached to Dix's Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, Department of North Carolina, to July, 1862. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1863. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Ohio, to June, 1863. Unassigned, 1st Division, 23rd Army Corps, Army of the Ohio, to October, 1863. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Ohio, to January, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Ohio, to March, 1864. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 9th Army Corps, to June 5, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, to July, 1865.

SERVICE.--Duty at Baltimore, Md., till March, 1862. Ordered to North Carolina March. Duty at Roanoke Island, N. C., till June. Battle of Camden South Mills April 19. Expedition toward Trenton May 15-16. Skirmish at Young's Cross Roads May 15. Expedition to New Berne June 18-July 2. Moved to Newport News, Va., July 6-10; thence to Aquia Creek and Fredericksburg, Va., August 2-7. Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2. Battles of Groveton August 29. Bull Run August 30. Chantilly September 1. Maryland Campaign September 6-22. Battles of South Mountain, Md., September 14. Antietam September 16-17. Stone Bridge September 17. Duty in Pleasant Valley till October 27. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 27-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15. Burnside's 2nd Campaign ("Mud March") January 20-24, 1863. Moved to Newport News February 11, thence to Lexington, Ky., March 26-April 1. Duty at Frankfort, Ky., till September. Rejoined Corps September 10. March to Knoxville, Tenn., September 12-20. Action at Blue Springs October 10. Operations in East Tennessee till November 14. Knoxville Campaign November 4-December 23. Loudon November 15. Campbell's Station November 16. Siege of Knoxville November 17-December 4. Repulse of Longstreet's assault on Fort Saunders November 29. Pursuit of Longstreet December 5-29. Duty in East Tennessee till March, 1864. Moved to Annapolis, Md., March 30-April 7. Campaign from the Rapidan to the James May 4-June 15. Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7. Spottsylvania May 8-12. Po River May 10. Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21. Assault on the Salient May 12. North Anna River May 23-26. On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Totopotomoy May 28-31. Cold Harbor June 1-12. Bethesda Church June 1-3. Before Petersburg June 16-18. Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865, Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30, 1864. Weldon Railroad August 18-21. Poplar Springs Church September 29-October 2. Boydton Plank Road, Hatcher's Run, October 27-28. Fort Steadman March 25, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2. March to Farmville April 4-10. March to City Point April 20-24, thence moved to Alexandria April 24-28. Grand Review May 23. Duty in the Department of Washington till July. Mustered out July 7, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 5 Officers and 84 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 134 Enlisted men by disease. Total 226.

2nd REGIMENT POTOMAC HOME BRIGADE INFANTRY.

Organized at Cumberland, Md., August 27 to October 31, 1861. Attached to Railroad District West Virginia to February, 1862. District of Cumberland, Mountain Department, to April. 1862. Railroad District, Dept. of the Mountains. to July, 1862. Railroad District, 8th Army Corps, Middle Department, to September, 1862. Railroad Division, District of West Virginia, Dept. of the Ohio, to January, 1863. Cumberland, Md., Defences Upper Potomac. 8th Army Corps, Middle Dept., to March, 1863. 5th Brigade, 1st Division, 8th Army Corps, to June, 1863. Mulligan's Brigade, Scammon's Division, Army of West Virginia, to December, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division West Virginia, to April, 1864. Reserve Division, Kelly's Command, West Virginia, to April, 1865. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division West Virginia, to May, 1865. (Co. "F," Cavalry, Martinsburg, W. Va.; 8th Army Corps, January to March, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division. 8th Army Corps; to June, 1863. 1st Brigade, Maryland Heights, Division West Virginia, to December, 1863. Cavalry, 1st Division West Virginia.)

SERVICE.--Duty on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. At Patterson Creek and Romney, W. Va., till March, 1862. Skirmishes at Springfield, W. Va., August 23, 1861. Blue House August 26. South Branch Bridge, Mill Creek Mills, Romney and Springfield, October 26. Great Cacapon Bridge January 4, 1862. Duty at Charlestown, New Creek and Cumberland guarding Railroad between and to the Ohio River till March, 1863; and from Monocacy Bridge to the Ohio River till April, 1864. Action at Vance's Ford, near Romney. September 17, 1862. Charlestown. W. Va., May 15, 1863. Perryville june 14, 1863 (Co. "F"). Point of Rocks June 17 (Co. "F"). Summit Point October 7, 1863 (Co. "F"). Charlestown, W. Va., October 18, 1863. Burlington November 16. Salem December 16, 1863. Jackson River, near Covington, December 19, 1863. Ridgeville, Va., January 4, 1864. Moorefield Junction January 8, 1864. Medley January 30, 1864. Hunter's Raid on Lynchburg May 26-July 1, 1864. Lynchburg June 17-18. Salem June 21. Salem Branch Bridge July 4. Sir John's Run July 6. Snicker's Gap July 18. Kernstown, Winchester July 24. Martinsburg July 25. Back Creek Bridge July 27. Hancock, Md., July 31. Green Springs Run August 2. Guard duty in
West Virginia till May, 1865. Mustered out May 29, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 1 Officer and 9 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 84 Enlisted men by disease, Total 94.

2nd REGIMENT EASTERN SHORE INFANTRY.
Organized at Charlestown, Kent County, Md., October 2 to December 28, 1861. Attached to Dix's Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862. Eastern Shore Maryland and Virginia Middle Department to July, 18¢2. District of Eastern Shore, 8th Army Corps, Middle Department, to March, 1863, 1st Separate Brigade, 8th Army Corps, to June, 1863. Lockwood's Brigade, 8th Army Corps, to July, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, July, 1863. 2nd Brigade, Maryland Heights, Division West Virginia, to December, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, West Virginia, to April, 1864. 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry, Division of West Virginia, to July, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division of West Virginia, to October, 1864. Reserve Division, District of Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, to February, 1865.

SERVICE.--Duty on eastern shore of Maryland till March, 1862, and at Baltimore till October, 1862. On eastern shore of Maryland till June, 1863, At Baltimore June, 1863. Joined Lockwood's Brigade at Frederick, Md., July 6, 1863. Pursuit of Lee July 6-14. Falling Waters July 14. Assigned to duty at Maryland Heights July 17. Duty there and guarding Baltimore & Ohio Railroad till April. 1864. Hunter's Expedition to Lynchburg, Va., May 26-July 1. Advance on Staunton May 26-June 6. Action at Piedmont and Mt. Crawford June 5. Occupation of Staunton June 6. Lexington June 12. Buchanan June 14. Liberty June 16. Lynchburg June 17-18. Retreat to the Ohio River June 19-July 1. Salem June 21. Moved to Shenandoah Valley July 1-17. Snicker's Gap July 18. Battle of Winchester July 24. Martinsburg July 25. Strasburg August 14-15. Bolivar Heights August 24. Berryville September 3. Guard duty in West Virginia till February, 1865. Consolidated with 1st Eastern Shore Infantry February 23, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 10 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 62 Enlisted men by disease. Total 73.

[Listing anything 2nd Maryland]

http://grosser-generalstab.de/

On its homepage click on the Iron Cross icon called "Inhalt" on the page bottom. This will give a pop-up page link to an index of various book or article page links on the left-hand side of the page under the title "Zum Geleit".

When accessing a page, there will be a grey bar at the page top: clicking the "Ubersicht" button in the top left-hand corner will return you to the main index. Also, a floating grey bar at the screen bottom called "Zurük" is the "Go Back" button. Many of the documents with uniform plates also show icons of open books at the bottom of the page with arrows on them to navigate back to the previous plate or move onto the next plate without having to return to the book's index.

These are the uniform book links to look for:

Deutsche Uniformen v. H. Knötel d.J. u. M. Lezius [cigarette cards of individual figures] There's a button on the grey bars at the page top for the periods that you want.

Knötels Uniformkunde [The master work of its period on Prussian, German and world uniforms throughout post-gunpowder history in individual and multi-figure plates. You'll have to look through the index for individual plates that match your period.]

Uniformen der Alten Armee (Zigarettenbilder von Waldorf-Astoria) [June 1914 German uniforms: cigarette cards of individual German Navy and Colonial uniforms. Just go directly to the book icon marked "Uniformen" on its index page for the uniforms; the other two links are text only with just a few illustrations.

Les Uniformes de l'Armée française 1690 depuis 1900 par Dr. Lienhart & Humbert [French language. French uniforms from throughout the indicated periods using plates with a combination of lifelike and schematic drawings. Navigate from plate to plate using the "Vorheerige Tafel" and "Nachste Tafel" buttons at the page bottom. The central "Ubersicht" button returns you to the book's index of link pages. It also includes Confederation of the Rhine, Italian and other French allied states. Also note that while the plates themselves are in French, the page links to the individual plates are in German so for the French "Chasseurs à Pied" it will say "Jager zu Fuss" as the link name.]

M. E. Wolf

http://grosser-generalstab.de/adjutant.html

EJ Zanler-- scroll down to the fella with the 1848 uniform (German Adjutant)--look at the collar and uniform configuration-- it looks more closely to your relative's uniform.

Still digging:thumbsup:

So, I would start from 1848 to 1860...

(Plus not speaking/reading German is a handicap!) LOL

Der Rittmeister Militaria, Imperial German Merchandise Page 12 ...

This, in turn, led to the German military buildup that helped contribute to WW I. .... This is the 1849 Rang und Quartier-Liste for the Prussian Army and Navy. ..... It is a treasure trove of information on German Army uniforms during this period. ...
www.derrittmeister.com/paper.htm - Similarto Der Rittmeister Militaria, Imperial German Merchandise Page 12 ...

The Line Pickelhaube

Additionally, for your convenience, overall uniform descriptions for all Regiments ... The German Army had four distinct classifications of military service; Active, ...
www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/pickelhaube.htm - Similarto The Line Pickelhaube

M. E. Wolf

Now, have you considered contacting Germany's military historians in Germany? Not sure if they have archives and or military records that survived WWII but--never know!

Have you tried the German-American organization, here in the U.S.A.? Reason why, folks that have German heritage might have a relative that wore the same uniform and narrow down the period for you.
M. E. Wolf

Hmmm .. ME Wolf, does anyone ever stump you on anything LOL? Actually, you've given me a thought for researching an ancestor of mine who just happened to be a Hessian soldier who fought for the British in the Revolutionary War, was taken prisoner of war by Marion's Brigade (the Swamp Fox), then decided to stay afterwards and marry into my family (who fought in Marion's Brigade by the way!!). I have found some revolutionary paperwork on some of my NC relatives but none on the South Carolina side - but I never thought about contacting a GR-AM organization about my Bartell ancestry! So thanks for the heads up. I may be getting started on my ancestry in the Revolutionary War earlier than I thought :eek:.

ATuttle32,

Once I start digging, you never know where the dirt hits when it lands. :laugh1:

Glad I inspired you--:thumbsup:

Umm....got a name? Jacob?

Bartell Genealogy

Find the individual you are looking for, click on their name and you will be taken to that individual's information. ... **Jacob Bartell, Sr. - (1747 - 1832) - (Hessian Rev. ... "Jacob Bartell was a Hessian soldier who fought with the British in The ... We know for certain that he chose to remain in America after the war and settled first ...
www.jaimeadams.com/bartell.html - Similarto Bartell Genealogy

British Hessian in the Revolutionary War named Bartell?
Web Results

M. E. Wolf

Yes! Jacob Bartell is my fifth great-grandfather! I have the info from the jaimeadams site, but did not have the other links. And while I don't have a copy of Jacob's will, I do have a copy of Mary's, his wife ... I also have records of his land plat from 1784. I am descended through their daughter, Mary, who married into the Eaddy family. The help you gave me on the Eaddy family meant that I was able to wrap up my civil war research on that line (three of Mary Eaddy's sons died in the civil war). Thank you! I'm copying and pasting this into Jacob's page now so that I won't forget where it is!

Mr Wolf,
Can't thank you enough for all the links and the time you devoted to getting them. I looked thru many plates and found a lot of similarites in the late 1840s. The unit designation on the shoulder board and collar especially. You are right reading German would help. Fortunately my wife is good enough at it to get by. I will follow up on your other suggestions. By the way I had another grandfather serve on a U boat in WWI so t.hose sites are going to be helpful with that research as well. I cant wait to share this info with my Grandmother she is 95 and the uniform in the picture has been a family mystery forever. She still lives in Md. Berlin, Md lol...

I believe

EJ Zander,

If you find the need to edit your post, there will be a edit toggle on the bottom right corner. Poke it and it will open the post up and you can edit it.

Ancestry.com or footnote.com, may also provide census data. The gap can be narrowed even more, in my opinion. But, at least there is a start point of 1848 ish--onward.

I would still ask the Maryland Historian (Annapolis)/Archivist--if they have any renderings of the Maryland Militia. Like the O.R.s, put it--"German troops" -- how were they identified as such?

I still would see if the German-American groups can wiggle more information out for you too.

Germany's Military Historian and Archivist?
Web Results

Fieldtrip and Postscriptum | Dictionary of War

A committee of German and Soviet (now Russian) experts, consisting of political and military historians, archivists, and museum experts was appointed for this ...
dictionaryofwar.org/en-dict/berlin/fieldtrip - Similarto Fieldtrip and Postscriptum | Dictionary of War

Microfilm Projects in East European Military Archives

Projects are now underway at three institutions: the Central Military Archive ( Centralne ... Alfred Goldberg, Historian in the Office of the Secretary of Defense, ... Austria, Romania, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and ...
www.genealogyforum.com/gfnews/september99/polish9.htm - Similarto Microfilm Projects in East European Military Archives

Records for the War Dead of WW1

He is buried in Tyne Cot Military Cemetery on the Ypres Salient battlefield. .... Local libraries may also hold archive copies of regional newspapers dating back to the ... Cross for German soldiers Musketier Ernst Creuzburg who died on 6th ... 1918 has only recently been “discovered” by British military historian Peter Barton. ...
www.greatwar.co.uk/research/military-records/ww1-war-dead-recor... - Similarto Records for the War Dead of WW1

Deutsch-Russisches Museum Berlin-Karlshorst: Museumsportal Berlin

A committee of German and Soviet (now Russian) experts, consisting of political and military historians, archivists and museum experts was appointed for this ...
www.museumsportal-berlin.de/en/museums/museum-details/deutsch-r... - Similarto Deutsch-Russisches Museum Berlin-Karlshorst: Museumsportal Berlin

Germany Archives and Libraries | Learn | FamilySearch.org

6 days ago ... When writing to a German-speaking archive or library, it is best to write in ... The German federal archives have very few records helpful to family historians. ... Church records; Civil registration; Court records; Military records ...
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Germany_Archives_and_Libraries - Similarto Germany Archives and Libraries | Learn | FamilySearch.org

If you can get the relative's service records, then you can have the identity of the uniform....can't hurt.

M. E. Wolf

Germany military museums

Germany military museums ... Germany, Heimatmuseum der Nordseeinsel Borkum, Borkum ... Germany, Historisches Museum Bremerhaven, Bremerhaven ...
www.bunkermuzeum.hu/Bunkermuzeum/tarsmuzeumok/nemetorszag2_en.h... - Similarto Germany military museums

Military Historical Museum (Militärhistorisches Museum) - ...

Military Historical Museum (Militärhistorisches Museum), Dresden - find photos, ... vehicles - and you are transported into the world of the German military. ...
travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2778361-militarhistorisches_muse... - Similarto Military Historical Museum (Militärhistorisches Museum) - ...

Motts Military Museum Exhibit: WWI

By this time Germany had already declared war against Russia and Russia's ally France. ... The Motts Military Museum exhibits a comprehensive World War One ...
www.mottsmilitarymuseum.org/wwi.html - Similarto Motts Military Museum Exhibit: WWI

(Might be a good one)

Military Rank, Operations, & Feudal Hierarchy

The British fleet of the 18th century was organized into three squadrons, a Red, ... the basis of the system of flags used by other countries, like Imperial Germany. ... once familiar in the much smaller European armies of the 18th and 19th century, .... governments and often privately clothed, with their own distinctive uniforms. ...
www.friesian.com/rank.htm - Similarto Military Rank, Operations, & Feudal Hierarchy

http://www.kaiserzeit.com/3-ref/army-uniforms-base-page.htm
(might be a good one)

:angel: Digging too much? :hmmm:

M. E. Wolf

Back