Can you do all of this in 1 day....

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host
So got a weekend to myself as teh rest of the family went to SC for an extended weekend (some of us shlubs have to work). So, could you do this in 1 day:

Trevilian Station
Cedar Mountain
Brandy Station
Rappahannock Station
Kelly Ford

I live about 90 minute drive from Trevilian Station which is where I would start, and I would be there first thing in the morning (say at Trevilian at 9 am)

I understand that Rappahannock and kelly ford shouldn't take me that long. I wanted to try to get to all of these due to geographic proximity to save myself a 2nd trip. Also figured longer days of sun right now works in my favor. I would be alone and I walk fairly briskly.

So got a weekend to myself as teh rest of the family went to SC for an extended weekend (some of us shlubs have to work). So, could you do this in 1 day:

Trevilian Station
Cedar Mountain
Brandy Station
Rappahannock Station
Kelly Ford

I live about 90 minute drive from Trevilian Station which is where I would start, and I would be there first thing in the morning (say at Trevilian at 9 am)

I understand that Rappahannock and kelly ford shouldn't take me that long. I wanted to try to get to all of these due to geographic proximity to save myself a 2nd trip. Also figured longer days of sun right now works in my favor. I would be alone and I walk fairly briskly.
I would say it's doable.

Trevilian Station
Cedar Mountain
Brandy Station
Rappahannock Station
Kelly Ford

Lol, @Jamieva, as one of my favorite members. I'd caution against such an aggressive schedule. Brandy Station amoung others are more deserving of time. I once toured the Overland Campaign in two days and came away with the feeling I'd accomplished nothing. JMO. Enjoy yourself on whatever you decide :smile:

Last edited:
Ok going to do a little write up and then will post pictures tonight or tomorrow.

First up was Trevilian Station, or as it is called there now, just Trevilians. There is a driving tour, that you can find on the Louisa county website. Most are just on the side of the road in places. One is at a church that has little to no parking. Also due to the "remote" locations of a couple of the stops, you cannot get a cell signal or a very difficult time getting one, so know the driving route and dont rely on gps or data signal. There is one walk tour part. I parked there and walked about 50 yards into the trail. However, there was no signage to tell me how far it was, and within the first 50 yards there was a pretty big wash out point so I decided I would come back another time and do that. The driving tour has 10 stops. Best stop was the Ogg farm. The marker is facing the direction the Confederates were. The railroad is still right there in front of teh marker, and the Ogg farm is behind you across the road.

Next up was the drive up through Gordonsville and Orange on Rt 15 to Cedar Mountain. By the way, James Madison's home is very close to Orange if you are ever in that area. So I arrive at Cedar Mountain about 30 minutes after Trevilian.

The parking lot for Cedar Mountain is in the front yard of what looks like a house. No joke. There is a short wooded walk and then you come out a little gate that has several markers. The walking tour here is 1.25 miles. I started to walk it but then realized that most of the path involves walking through knee high grass/wheat, or along the side of Rt 15 with cars buzzing by at 50+ mph. it's June. There's critters in that grass. So I decided I would come back to Cedar Mountain in the fall when it is cooler and less likely to have any slitherly wildlife among the grass.

Driving north on 15 you notice that there are significant hills/small mountains on the east side of the road, including Clarks Mountain, which would allow you to observe movements.

next up was further up 15 to Brandy Station. You go right over Mount Point signal station, there is a roadside marker for it. First up the Graffiti House. Parking lot was full (i was surprised) so had to park along the dead end street. There is a monument for Pelham across the street from it. Watched teh short video and then there was a tour of the home and about 10 of us on the tour. Very interesting.

So on to the battlefield. The CW trust has an excellent app that includes a driving tour of the battlefield. However it has a lot of stops and I knew I did not have time for that so I wanted to hit a few major points for now. First up was Buford's area. There are a couple of markers. There is a trail that is about 6 feet wide, and is cut. However, it is 2 miles long. It was a hot day and I was again in the same mindset of, i can tackle that in October when I come back for Cedar Mountain. The trail sign also warned people not to stray off the cut area of teh trail due to ticks and snakes. Lovely.

I drove by the sign for the original site of St James Church. Near there is another 1+ mile walking trail that is also neatly cut. Same warning about ticks and snakes.

So I decided last site to see at Brandy Station for now before moving on had to be Fleetwood Hill. Now that was worth the visit. Luckily for me a guy was out there with a tractor bushwhacking the site that day. Grass was extremely tall. The crown of the hill has a wide circular walking area with interpretive markers all around it. The view is also impressive, especially of the Blue Ridge to the west and southwest.

I made a quick driving trip to Kellys Ford, including driving past the Inn at Kellys ford, and the site of the battle. Battle site is a large open farm land now there is a pull off area with 2 or 3 markers.

Rappahannock station...there is a marker next to a convenenience store in Remington. It does show that it is stop 9 of the Bristoe station driving tour. Didn't investigate that anymore as I know Bristoe Station is further than I wanted to go on a 1 day.

@Eric Wittenberg don't get me started on the Culpeper airport am i right? basically folks if you go to the Buford section and walking trail at brandy station, you will get the constant noise of single engine prop planes taking off and flying. The culpeper airport is right next to it.

If they truly want to make Cedar Mountain a state park, as the brochure at the Graffiti House said, they have to improve the parking immensely. It's a work in progress.

You didn't want to pull ticks off you? Can't imagine why not.

Sounds like the fall is a better time to see some of these sites?

Your comment about the airport is similar to the Slaughter Pen at Fredericksburg, though sounds like Culpeper airport is busier.

When I visit a battlefield, I always take into consideration extra time for reflection & visualization. For me, visiting ACW battlefields is very spiritual. I do not want to be rushed.

You didn't want to pull ticks off you? Can't imagine why not.

Sounds like the fall is a better time to see some of these sites?

Your comment about the airport is similar to the Slaughter Pen at Fredericksburg, though sounds like Culpeper airport is busier.

Well i did pickup some type of hitchiker on the back of my neck at one of the Trevilian station stops. I felt him driving the car and yanked him off fast. And keep in mind i was covered in bug spray so who knows.

When I visit a battlefield, I always take into consideration extra time for reflection & visualization. For me, visiting ACW battlefields is very spiritual. I do not want to be rushed.

Yes I had not done enough research on how many walking routes there are at brandy station. October the leaves will be changing and no snakes and less ticks. I will be prepared better.

How bout a nice view southwest from Fleetwood Hill to the Blue Ridge in the distance

20170624_123158_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back