Stonewall Can we talk about some of the very creepy coincidences in Stonewall Jackson's life?

TheKenoshaKid

Private
(I'm posting this in the general board cause it's 100% speculation, bordering on conspiracy theory territory. Not to be taken too seriously.)

(FINAL EDIT) Whoops, the mods decided it would be better in the Stonewall board.

Anyway...Stonewall Jackson must have had some weird aura about him, cause these facts together make no sense to me:

1. Arguably the most devoutly-Christian officer of the entire war got his nickname on a Sunday, got mortally wounded by his own men three hours short of a Sunday (local time), and died on a Sunday.

2. He would always raise one arm because he felt that one side of his body was too heavy, and he had to balance out his fluids. He died after his left arm was amputated. "Left" in latin is "sinister", and was often associated with evil and immorality. He died without a left arm.

3. His last words, according to Dr. Hunter McGuire (the man who amputated his arm) were:

"Order A.P. Hill to prepare for action! Pass the infantry to the front rapidly! Tell Major Hawks—"

That's exactly how the Battle of Gettysburg began. A.P. Hill's infantry passed rapidly to the front and...

4. The apostle Peter was also crucified. James Longstreet was also wounded by his own men in the wilderness around Chancellorsville, almost exactly a year later. The surgeon that saved Longstreet's life was named John Cullen, initials JC. Longstreet's nickname? Pete.

Has anybody else noticed all these weird details about him?

Last edited:
… 1. Arguably the most devoutly-Christian officer of the entire war got his nickname on a Sunday, got mortally wounded by his own men three hours short of a Sunday (local time), and died on a Sunday.
Jackson always attempted to keep Sunday as the Sabbath Day by doing nothing, but he was realist enough to realize that military matters recognized no such day of rest. Ironically many of his battles were fought on Sundays as you rightly note. As for his death, he said on his deathbed when told he would die that day that he always wished to die on a Sunday.

You know, I'm always amazed at the synchronicity of the war - especially the way the western theater mirrors almost exactly the eastern theater.

However, for 'signs', I think N B Forrest might win out over Jackson! He was born on a Friday the 13th, full moon, one of a set of twins, left-handed, first son, sign Cancer...and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a black cat sitting on the windowsill!

(... it's 100% speculation, bordering on conspiracy theory territory. Not to be taken ... seriously.)

Indeed!
chase1-smiley.gif

3. His last words, according to Dr. Hunter McGuire (the man who amputated his arm) were:

"Order A.P. Hill to prepare for action! Pass the infantry to the front rapidly! Tell Major Hawks—"

You sure about that...?

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees.”

Is what many of us have understood to be his last words.

Accounts of "Last Words" are unreliable. I doubt that anyone knows for sure.

Hmmm... His widow was there. Hard to discount her words.

enhance.jpg

enhance.jpg

Here's an account shortly after his passing:

default.jpg

The Abingdon Virginian (Abingdon, VA) May 29, 1863

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84025980/1863-05-29/ed-1/seq-1/

I'd have to see significant evidence to believe it's all a fabrication. In the face of zero contradicting evidence, I'll take the word of Mrs. Jackson.

I know I've read he had an aide by his side as well. His recollection was very similar to Jackson's widow.

Has anybody else noticed all these weird details about him?

Still not quite on the level of Lincoln and Kennedy.

He would always raise one arm because he felt that one side of his body was too heavy, and he had to balance out his fluids. He died after his left arm was amputated. "Left" in latin is "sinister", and was often associated with evil and immorality. He died without a left arm.

Now I'm wondering what Stonewall thought of left-handers.

And the "connection" between "sinister" South-paws and the Confederacy's defeat.

Hmmm... His widow was there. Hard to discount her words.

View attachment 350189

View attachment 350190

Here's an account shortly after his passing:

View attachment 350191

The Abingdon Virginian (Abingdon, VA) May 29, 1863

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84025980/1863-05-29/ed-1/seq-1/

I'd have to see significant evidence to believe it's all a fabrication. In the face of zero contradicting evidence, I'll take the word of Mrs. Jackson.

I know I've read he had an aide by his side as well. His recollection was very similar to Jackson's widow.
His personal physician Dr. Hunter McGuire includes the familiar last words in his account as well.

Back