HF Can We Make a List of All of the Civil War Movies?

Historical-Fiction
Here are some I already know about:

Gone With the Wind
Tennessee Johnson
The Horse Soldiers
Birth of a Nation
The General
Gods and Generals
Gettysburg
Abe Lincoln in Illinois
Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer
Pharaoh’s ArmY
Ride With the Devil
Glory
12 Years a Slave
Shenandoah
Field of Lost Shoes
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Harriet
Little Women
Free State of Jones
The Conspirator
Song of the South
The Red Badge of Courage
Django Unchained
Gangs of New York
Santa Fe Trail
The Undefeated
Major Dundee
The Colt

I am looking at comparing the box office receipts of all the Civil War and Reconstruction movies out there. If you know of any, can you add to the list. Of course films like Glory and Gettysburg are on it, but so is Little Women and Harriet. Films about the lead up to the war can also be added like Abe Lincoln in Illinois and 12 Years a Slave. If you know of a film just post it in this thread. I am interested in the good, the bad, and the ugly, which, come to think of it should be on this list.

pat

two civil War movies that most people do not know about are

1. taproots and
2. raintree county

bryce

Red Badge of Courage with Audie Murphy & Bill Mauldin (the cartoonist of Joe & Willie fame) and Trapdoor Springfields to boot.

I have this movie somewhere on my shelf.

nXkFtZTcwNDE0NTcyMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR13,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The Colt (2005) TV Movie, 1 hr 20 min

Director: Yelena Lanskaya
Writers: Mikhail Sholokhov (short story) (as Mikhail Aleksandrovich Sholokhov), Stephen Harrigan (teleplay)
Stars: Ryan Merriman, Steve Bacic, William MacDonald

A gift of hope arrives on a very special dawn for a desperate Civil War cavalry struggling to survive in the midst of battle... It's May of 1864 and the First Michigan Cavalry is stranded in a Virginia forest called the Wilderness. Among them: the weary Sergeant Longacre; Covington, an illustrator enlisted to capture the Civil War in unerring detail; and a young trooper Jim Rabb who counts his brother among the casualties, yet still rides his beloved mare Jen with a true soldier's indomitable will to survive. Then one morning Jim discovers that Jen has given birth and by her side is a newborn colt, shaking and afraid, born to chaos, and clinging to his mother for life. Longacre orders Jim to shoot the foal, lest it prove a hindrance, but Jim - seeing the colt as a consolation and a reminder of the beauty of life - refuses. An omen of good fortune, Jen and her nursing foal join the team of men marching toward unknown horizons. However, the vedette is suddenly taken by Confederates, Jen and the colt are stolen, and Jim spurs a horse in a long, winding chase and shoots the fleeing soldier to retrieve the mother and baby. The incident has left him lost and separated from his bivouacked brigade, with a dying enemy on his hands. But honoring the rebel's last wish sparks in Jim a journey of remarkable honor and duty toward enlightenment and untold danger - one that will test the spirit and courage of a country at war and pay heartrending tribute to those of God's creatures who are blessedly innocent to the careless ways of man.

"True Grit" (2010) is set in the 1870s, but their respective service in the Confederate Army during the war is a point of friction between Marshal Cogburn -- one of Quantrill's band -- and Ranger LaBoeuf, who was in the regular cavalry. Like a lot in that film, it rings really true to me.

I don't recall if there was a similar scene in the original film with John Wayne and Glen Campbell.

You couldn't list them all. Look at Belle & Blade website. They have a ton of CW flicks and they only scratch the surface. Seems like I saw a book many moons ago called 'HOLLYWOOD GOES TO THE CIVIL WAR".

"Yellowneck" (1955)

1580925154522.png

"True Grit" (2010) is set in the 1870s, but their respective service in the Confederate Army during the war is a point of friction between Marshal Cogburn -- one of Quantrill's band -- and Ranger LaBoeuf, who was in the regular cavalry. Like a lot in that film, it rings really true to me.

I don't recall if there was a similar scene in the original film with John Wayne and Glen Campbell.

There were echoes of this argument at the Vicksburg site meetup between a few of our Missouri and Texas users.

Glad you got Little Women in there. I loved the movie, but one criticism that I've heard that I agree with is that it neglects to show the shabbiness of life in the North during the Civil War.

I am looking at comparing the box office receipts of all the Civil War and Reconstruction movies out there. If you know of any, can you add to the list. Of course films like Glory and Gettysburg are on it, but so is Little Women and Harriet. Films about the lead up to the war can also be added like Abe Lincoln in Illinois and 12 Years a Slave. If you know of a film just post it in this thread. I am interested in the good, the bad, and the ugly, which, come to think of it should be on this list.
On a similar note I'd like to see a movie about what happened to the survivors in Glory, how they paired with the 1st colored former salve regiment in the Florida battle where they save many white soldiers from death and then pushed their train 10 miles by hand to get their wounded to safety since black prisoners were being executed. The same soldiers and white officers who ended up in Charleston and refused to take back the 40 acre land grants, there is a lot more left untold because of southern historians writing our history.

Here are a few:

CAVALRY (1936); Republic Pictures - About first ten minutes are Civil War and notice of surrender, then year directly following as Bob Steele is sent west.

THE EAGLE AND THE HAWK (1951); Paramount - In 1863 TX Ranger and a Union spy cross into Mexico to investigate a growing
struggle for power between Maximilian and Benito Juarez

THE REDHEAD AND THE COWBOY (1951); Paramount - Framed for murder during the Civil War, Gil Kyle's only alibi is Confederate
agent Candace Bronson [Rhonda Fleming].. etc etc

THE DARLING OF THE C.S.A. (1912); Kalem Company; TRT 14:44 ; Preserved by the National Film Foundation at:

I have this movie somewhere on my shelf.

View attachment 345089
The Colt (2005) TV Movie, 1 hr 20 min

Director: Yelena Lanskaya
Writers: Mikhail Sholokhov (short story) (as Mikhail Aleksandrovich Sholokhov), Stephen Harrigan (teleplay)
Stars: Ryan Merriman, Steve Bacic, William MacDonald

A gift of hope arrives on a very special dawn for a desperate Civil War cavalry struggling to survive in the midst of battle... It's May of 1864 and the First Michigan Cavalry is stranded in a Virginia forest called the Wilderness. Among them: the weary Sergeant Longacre; Covington, an illustrator enlisted to capture the Civil War in unerring detail; and a young trooper Jim Rabb who counts his brother among the casualties, yet still rides his beloved mare Jen with a true soldier's indomitable will to survive. Then one morning Jim discovers that Jen has given birth and by her side is a newborn colt, shaking and afraid, born to chaos, and clinging to his mother for life. Longacre orders Jim to shoot the foal, lest it prove a hindrance, but Jim - seeing the colt as a consolation and a reminder of the beauty of life - refuses. An omen of good fortune, Jen and her nursing foal join the team of men marching toward unknown horizons. However, the vedette is suddenly taken by Confederates, Jen and the colt are stolen, and Jim spurs a horse in a long, winding chase and shoots the fleeing soldier to retrieve the mother and baby. The incident has left him lost and separated from his bivouacked brigade, with a dying enemy on his hands. But honoring the rebel's last wish sparks in Jim a journey of remarkable honor and duty toward enlightenment and untold danger - one that will test the spirit and courage of a country at war and pay heartrending tribute to those of God's creatures who are blessedly innocent to the careless ways of man.
I really enjoyed this film, but it has a sad ending !

Back