Can Some Transcribe These Promotion Papers? Col. A. A. Russell

NickajackRanger

Sergeant
Colonel Alfred Alexander Russell of (Russell's) 4th Alabama Cavalry Regiment is somewhat of a big-time local historical figure where i'm from. He was a physician before the war and became a Major in the 7th Alabama Infantry Regiment until its 12 months of enlistment was up. He then formed a battalion of Alabama Partisan Rangers and eventually got the addition of the 4 Alabama companies that had served with Forrest in the 3rd Tennessee Cavalry Battalion. He rose to the rank of Colonel and fought under Forrest and Wheeler. Soon after the Forrest West Tennessee Expedition he was placed at the head of a cavalry brigade in 1863. He did terrific service and was wounded twice while leading this brigade for the remainder of the war. Below are recommendation papers for promotion to Brigadier General. A Colonel leading a brigade out of necessity for a battle is one thing but for two years without getting a promotion? They had time to get it to him still.

I need someone with a good eye for old documents to transcribe the papers below and tell me exactly what they say. I kinda want to see why he never got his promotion when he was very deserving and led the brigade for so long anyway. Was it politics? Was someone playing favorites over deserving officers as usual in the CSA?

I hope someone can help.

AARussellBrigadierGeneralPromotion.jpg

ColonelRussellPromotionPaper.jpg

AA Russell.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s my attempt at the first letter:

Will T Martin ?
W____ Martin
Brigadier General

Recommend Col. A.A. Russell for promotion to Brigadier General.

Head Qrts Cav. Corps ?
Courtland ?, Alabama
12th Oct, 1863

Respectfully forwarded and earnestly recommended. This officer has shown himself worthy of promotion by his gallantry in the field and his devotion to his command at all times. I feel that the interest of the service will be much advanced by this appointment.
I most cheerfully endorse the statements of General Martin.

? ------Wheeler ?
Major Gail ? Maj Gen'l

I hope others with more experience at reading such documents can provide a better transcription.

Just adding to 7th's excellent transcription. Chellers

Last edited:
My attempt at the second letter:

Headquarters Martin’s Cav Division ?
Courtland Ala Oct 12 1863 ?
General/Sir ?
I have the honor to recommend the appointment ____ of Col A A Russell of Stevenson ? Ala. Commanding the 2 - 7th ? Brigades of my Division to the rank of Brigadier General.
He was at Pensacola as Major of Infantry __ __ ___ infantry and cavalry tactics.
__ ___ ___ ____ ___. A man of fine judgements ?
Temperate and possessing/preserving ? the confidence of his officers. __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ ?
__ __ to several officers in my division ?

That’s about all I could make out.
I couldn’t read the final part of the second letter.

Last edited:
Merit alone didn't always carry ones progression that most would assume all the time... Lots of other factors at hand also... Ones rank seniority typically also had a big hand in it... If another Colonel that was present had an earlier more senior date of rank, it would generally come to play in the decision of who gets a promoted... Don't have all my reference books with me at present but if memory serves correctly the 4th Ala Cav also got moved around a bit between different commands.. which could have also affected promotional status and opportunities... Most likely a combination of items that affected Russells promotional recommendations....

My attempt at the second letter:

Headquarters Martin’s Cav Division ?
Courtland Ala Oct 12 1863 ?
General/Sir ?
I have the honor to recommend the appointment ____ of Col A A Russell of Stevenson ? Ala. Commanding the 2 - 7th ? Brigades of my Division to the rank of Brigadier General.
He was at Pensacola as Major of Infantry __ __ ___ infantry and cavalry tactics.
__ ___ ___ ____ ___. A man of fine judgements ?
Temperate and possessing/preserving ? the confidence of his officers. __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ ?
__ __ to several officers in my division ?

That’s about all I could make out.
I couldn’t read the final part of the second letter.

Courtland, Alabama is where Lt. General Joe Wheeler ended up settling down near after the war and where I believe he met his wife. His last house which is still there today is not too far from Courtland. October of that year coincides with Wheeler's famous (or infamous depending upon your point of view) Sequatchie Valley Raid. (Russell's) 4th AL served with Forrest from November 1862-February 1863 then got transferred under Wheeler (who they were not fond of given most were originally partisan rangers and preferred Forrest's unconventional tactics over Wheeler's West Point by-the-book tactics).

Merit alone didn't always carry ones progression that most would assume all the time... Lots of other factors at hand also... Ones rank seniority typically also had a big hand in it... If another Colonel that was present had an earlier more senior date of rank, it would generally come to play in the decision of who gets a promoted... Don't have all my reference books with me at present but if memory serves correctly the 4th Ala Cav also got moved around a bit between different commands.. which could have also affected promotional status and opportunities... Most likely a combination of items that affected Russells promotional recommendations....
Also, I read somewhere that William T. Martin and A. A. Russell became good friends. It could've been a combination of both his regiment being sent around everywhere and the fact that he was more like Forrest and not the "West Point special" type of officer Jefferson Davis, Braxton Bragg, and Joe Wheeler liked to play favorites with. He was so much of a hellraiser that he broke through enemy lines and ran off to Mexico never surrendering at the end of the war and never taking the Oath of Allegiance. He ended up having a coffee farm in Mexico and flourished enough to where he never came back to his native Alabama except for Confederate Veteran Reunions. He's even buried in Mexico but nobody really knows specifically where though.

I lived in Natchez MS for many years. During that time I had the opportunity to visit General Martin's home many times.
Martin is also an interesting man that is relatively unknown among Civil War Generals.

I was just at General Joe Wheeler's home at Pond Spring plantation last week as a reenactor for his annual birthday celebration. They turned his house into a museum. Beautiful property.

Back