Can anyone tell me about this Kepi?

MaryW

Cadet
I got this Kepi from my grandma, but have not been able to find any information out about it. She thought it was from the Civil War, but was never sure either. She bought it at a sale, so there is no known history of it. I have looked the Military Goods store up inside, but could only find ads for the business. Any help would be much appreciated.
kepi3.jpg
kepi4.jpg
kepi5.jpg
kepi.jpg
kepi2.jpg

It appears to be a pre Civil War shako. At a guess (based on the leather trim), from the 1850s.
I've seen the style of infantry badge on hats from the War with Mexico era, but the large hat badge is a mystery to me. It may be a militia or cadet's cap.
Sweet hat, what ever it turns out to be!

It is indeed a "Shako". These were a popular dress cap from the 1850's well into the turn of the century... Also quite popular with many Euro military forces including UK and Canada.

Deecken was a well known goods maker based in New York, that was established around 1854, but was still very much in operation well into the 1880's at least. This style was still going for many decades well after the ACW. Even though the company was based in New York it supplied goods to many different states, localities and military schools etc.... The star burst design plate on the front was a popular design for these for many decades... The "GG" in the front of the plate if it could be determined who that was would be of great help.. but is fairly ambiguous... probably something "Greys" or 'Guards" is most likely...

Does the internal label have any fine print that may give the makers address on it?.... Deecken relocated a couple times during its period of activity that could help narrow down the respective time frame it was made...

The six pointed starburst badge was a element of some American militia companies. One will see eight point starburst on British insignia.

There is a book, whose name I forget, that list known American military equipment manufacturers. Perhaps J.C.F. Deecken would be listed in the book. Sadly I have yet to purchase a copy. The author gave me his email address so I could contact him with questions on military goods, but his hand writing is so bad I can not read his address.

Shako alright. And because it lacks any sort of state or national emblem, I tend to think that it is one of these:

Shako%20guide.jpg

Marching band shako; but not like the above modern one.

Does your shako slope in back like the one in the web link? In the 1850s-1880s there were four common types of shakos. 1. Near direct copies of the U.S. Army style. 2. Light Artillery style shako. 3. the "National Guard' style shako. 4. The "Cadet" shako. Your shako seems a bit short and if the back is sloped it would fall into the "Cadet" style shako.

This has the look of a Civil War or pre-war shako: The thickness and proportion of the flat slab-like visor, especially; also the type face on the paper label in the crown. I'm not as certain about the visor buttons though - they remind me of some later-period ones I've seen.

No Allie the horn button is more likely for infantry but the marine Corps uses a hunting horn as well. Neither the U.S. Army or U.S. Marine corps was using cap strap buttons with a hunting horn on them. The shako in the photograph does also look a bit like the Marine Corps 1859 regulations shako. The Marine 1859 regulation cap came in two versions, The First Version Regulation Enlisted 1859 Dress Cap (Marine shako) and the similar Regulations 1859 Enlisted Man's Cap, 1869 Contract. Both are known for their thick brim which differentiates them period militia caps (shakos). The 1859 Regulations (Marine) Officer Cap was almost identical to the enlisted cap.

The 39th NY was known as the Garibaldi Guard, which could be the GG. But I don't know when they would've used a shako. In the first two years the enlisted men wore Italian Bersaglieri hats, afterwords they gradually switched over to the more common kepis.

GG002.jpg

It's also worth noting that once U.S. Regulations change, contractors and suppliers are then left with stocks of now-unwanted merchandise. That's why U.S. Government contracts stipulate numbers of items to be delivered and a time frame in which they are to be delivered, so as to not "burn" manufacturers whose services they may need in the future. That being said, for various reasons stocks of now-dated items would exist in the hands of either the government, manufacturers, or suppliers; the answer: dump them at attractive prices on the National Guard, state militia, or even Masonic orders who weren't subject to those same regulations!

The shako in question *might* be an original U.S. Marine or Mounted Artillery model that remained in unissued stock and been disposed of, only to have the non-regulation starburst, GG insignia, and side buttons attached at some now-unknown but later date. A friend and mentor of mine was an absolute genius at recognizing things like that at our favorite HUGE outdoor flea market - once I asked him WHY he'd bought a dozen ugly dark blue caps with Woodmen of the World insignia on them: he then pulled back the sweatband in one, revealing the U. S. Ordnance Dept. ink stamp. The entire lot were discontinued M.1902 U. S. Army dress caps, which he subsequently refit and sold at handsome profits!

It is indeed a "Shako". These were a popular dress cap from the 1850's well into the turn of the century... Also quite popular with many Euro military forces including UK and Canada.

Deecken was a well known goods maker based in New York, that was established around 1854, but was still very much in operation well into the 1880's at least. This style was still going for many decades well after the ACW. Even though the company was based in New York it supplied goods to many different states, localities and military schools etc.... The star burst design plate on the front was a popular design for these for many decades... The "GG" in the front of the plate if it could be determined who that was would be of great help.. but is fairly ambiguous... probably something "Greys" or 'Guards" is most likely...

Does the internal label have any fine print that may give the makers address on it?.... Deecken relocated a couple times during its period of activity that could help narrow down the respective time frame it was made...

The label inside shows the address as New York

The back of the hat is sloped you can see it better in the side picture.

Attachments

• back of hat.jpg
    back of hat.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 267
  • side of hat.jpg
    side of hat.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 315
  • back of hat.jpg
    back of hat.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 289
This is the Marine Regulation 1875 Cap from the rear. The 1859 had two side vents as opposed to the single rear vent. Note the braid around the vent.

shako 2.jpg

There are some militia items that have a 'GG" from units know as the German Guards and another unit the Grey Guards.

The label inside shows the address as New York

Ok wasn't sure if it might have the physical address on it.... Deeckens was in New York.. but over its course of existence moved several times.. if it had an addy, would have helped to further narrow down the possible time frame a bit better...

Ok wasn't sure if it might have the physical address on it.... Deeckens was in New York.. but over its course of existence moved several times.. if it had an addy, would have helped to further narrow down the possible time frame a bit better...

It has the full address I didn't know if it was in different cities or not. Here is the address: 160 Grand St. New York

Back