Can Anyone Provide More Info About This Photo?

4th-MSM

Sergeant
While browsing through the Missouri Digital Heritage website, I happened to come across this photo and was curious about it. The description appears to read "4th Iowa Battery, Lees Surrender". Both the photograph and the name of the photographer seem familiar but I can't place them.

After reading about the photographer, Gustavus Fagersteen, I found out that shortly after the Civil War he moved west and photographed Yosemite often. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could provide more info on the photograph. Thanks!

4thIowa.jpg

Back of the photo:
4thIowaback.jpg

After looking at it again, that could very well be what it says, it does look like an "S". The Missouri Digital Heritage site listed it as "Lees", but I've known them to make mistakes before.

Sorry, I should have given a link to where I found it: http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/bchscivwar&CISOPTR=134&REC=2

4th Iowa Light Artillery (only 4th Iowa Artillery there was) was not at Lee's Surrender. Could be a different Lee/Lees? OR it could be simple a picture taken in New Orleans of the 4th Iowa Light Artillery at the time of Lee's Surrender in Va. Hence when they got the news of the surrender.

Here is thier service record: Garrison duty in the Dept. of the Northwest until February, 1864. Ordered to New Orleans, La., and duty in the Defenses of that city and at Thibodeaux, La., District of LaFourche until July, 1865. Mustered out July 14, 1865

Yep, looks like the notation is referring to the time period, probably within 1 week of Lee's actual surrender (giving allowance for the new to reach.) The question is where was the location specifically in the vicinity of New Orleans?

4th Iowa Light Artillery (only 4th Iowa Artillery there was) was not at Lee's Surrender. Could be a different Lee/Lees? OR it could be simple a picture taken in New Orleans of the 4th Iowa Light Artillery at the time of Lee's Surrender in Va. Hence when they got the news of the surrender.

Here is thier service record: Garrison duty in the Dept. of the Northwest until February, 1864. Ordered to New Orleans, La., and duty in the Defenses of that city and at Thibodeaux, La., District of LaFourche until July, 1865. Mustered out July 14, 1865

That's one thing that was confusing me, because I didn't think they were at Appomattox when Lee surrendered. Thanks for confirming that.

Another thing I was wondering though, is why the main group of townsfolk (I believe that's who they are anyway) are in a line? Waiting for word of the surrender perhaps?

Another thing I was wondering though, is why the main group of townsfolk (I believe that's who they are anyway) are in a line? Waiting for word of the surrender perhaps?

Perhaps the battery was getting ready to fire some sort of salute to the happy announcement? People are behind the guns, and men at the pieces.

Perhaps the battery was getting ready to fire some sort of salute to the happy announcement? People are behind the guns, and men at the pieces.

Yes, it does look like they are getting ready. I don't know if the towns people would be very happy about it though! :D

It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like there are a few troops mixed into the crowd (besides the ones on horseback). I tried zooming into the photo, but it starts to get unfocused quickly.

Did you notice what seems to be an arrow in the right center of the photograph? It's not clear as to who or what it's pointing to. Interesting...
4th Iowa battery (detail).jpg

Back